Directors that owned decades (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Powka -> Directors that owned decades (16/12/2012 12:13:39 AM)

What directors do you think "owned" decades in film-making? As in who made most masterpieces, or best things, in the run of roughly 10 years.

I would go ahead and say FF Coppola owned the 70s with his stuff. In terms of film, he's done 4 of them in the 70s, all of which turned out to become masterpieces and cult classics: The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather II, Apocalypse Now.

Bergman for the 60's, maybe?

LEEJGM -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/12/2012 1:09:48 AM)

That's a tough question, but a very good one.
For the films I loved in the decades I've seen, I'd say: Spielberg owned the 80s, Tarrantino the 90s. The 00s goes to Peter Jackson and so far, Chris Nolan's dominating this decade.

adambatman82 -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/12/2012 6:11:36 PM)

Coppola and the 70's was the thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title. I'd go with Godard for the 60's, Tarantino for the 90's, Nolan for the 2010's.

will1000 -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/12/2012 7:08:49 PM)

Brian DePalma and the 80s, although that might only be for Scarface...I don't know.

boaby -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/12/2012 7:12:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

Brian DePalma and the 80s, although that might only be for Scarface...I don't know.

And the Untouchables.

Not enough to win the decade from the 'berg though.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/12/2012 7:14:12 PM)

Yeah, Spielberg owned the '80s not only for directing but for all the films he produced that decade too.

spark1 -> RE: Directors that owned decades (17/12/2012 10:14:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

And the Untouchables.

Not enough to win the decade from the 'berg though.

and 'casualties of war', 'dressed to kill' and 'blow out'.

DancingClown -> RE: Directors that owned decades (17/12/2012 10:24:21 AM)

How about Fincher for the 90s? If not at least the late 90s?

Whistler -> RE: Directors that owned decades (17/12/2012 2:00:19 PM)

50s - Alfred Hitchcock or Billy Wilder
60s - Sergio Leone or Robert Wise
70s - Francis Ford Coppola
80s - Steven Spielberg
90s - Quentin Tarantino
00s - Christopher Nolan

NCC1701A -> RE: Directors that owned decades (17/12/2012 2:21:22 PM)

I would say that Steven Spielberg owned the 90s as well with Jurassic Park, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan just my two penny worth.

AxlReznor -> RE: Directors that owned decades (17/12/2012 3:00:59 PM)

At a quick glance looking at some of my favourite movies, I'd say:

2010's - Christopher Nolan (though he does have a bit of healthy competition from David Fincher, Peter Jackson and Matthew Vaughn)
2000's - Steven Spielberg
1990's - Spielberg again, but for the sake of variety... cases can be made for Tim Burton, John Lasseter, Quentin Tarantino and John Woo
1980's - Brian De Palma, James Cameron, Robert Zemeckis or... Steven Spielberg
1970's - Francis Ford Coppola
1960's - David Lean
1950's - Alfred Hitchcock
1940's - John Ford
1930's - Victor Fleming

Of course, if I took a far more in-depth look, I might come up with something completely different. Strangely, Spielberg isn't my favourite all-time director... but I think he could be one of the most prolific and consistent.

Mr Gittes -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 12:27:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

I would say that Steven Spielberg owned the 90s as well with Jurassic Park, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan just my two penny worth.

Let's not forget Amistad. I know many find it boring, but I think it's an underrated classic. Plus, even if you didn't like it, you did mention JP2, so why not?

In any event, as much as I love the Berg, I gotta hand the 90s to Quentin. AIn fact, my list would pretty much be the same as Whistler's.

If ONLY T2 had been made in the 80s, then that decade would be securely in Cameron's grip.

NCC1701A -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 9:01:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

quote:

Let's not forget Amistad. I know many find it boring, but I think it's an underrated classic. Plus, even if you didn't like it, you did mention JP2, so why not?

In any event, as much as I love the Berg, I gotta hand the 90s to Quentin. AIn fact, my list would pretty much be the same as Whistler's.

If ONLY T2 had been made in the 80s, then that decade would be securely in Cameron's grip.

Hi

Sorry but I forgot about Amistad it's a film that I have been meaning to pick up saw it years ago on VHS.
Why does the 90s have to be handed to Quentin ? he directed three films.

AxlReznor -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 9:54:41 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi

Sorry but I forgot about Amistad it's a film that I have been meaning to pick up saw it years ago on VHS.

Three great films, though.
Likewise, on my list, David Lean only directed two films in the 60's... but those films were Lawrence Of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago, so they get more influence than someone with loads of great, but lesser films (in my opinion).

Whistler -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 10:41:44 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi

Three incredibly iconic, decade-defining films. Not to mention all the other stuff he wrote and the fact he was new on the scene.

horribleives -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 11:37:15 AM)

Surely if Nolan owned any decade it was the 2000s not the 2010s - the latter isn't even four years old and he's only made two films in it.

AxlReznor -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 11:47:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Surely if Nolan owned any decade it was the 2000s not the 2010s - the latter isn't even four years old and he's only made two films in it.

I'm the only one who's said that. As the decade progresses it may change, but at the moment those two films are enough (not many bankable directors have made more than two films in this decade yet as far as I know).

Both Inception and The Dark Knight Rises I believe have inspired the most discussion - both good and bad - in recent years (around here at least).

I'm not convinced of this whole interdimensional harvesting plot of his next film, though. I'm fully expecting his name to be replaced by someone else then.

Whistler -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 12:06:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

I'm the only one who's said that. As the decade progresses it may change, but at the moment those two films are enough (not many bankable directors have made more than two films in this decade yet as far as I know).

Both Inception and The Dark Knight Rises I believe have inspired the most discussion - both good and bad - in recent years (around here at least).

I'm not convinced of this whole interdimensional harvesting plot of his next film, though. I'm fully expecting his name to be replaced by someone else then.

But remember, it's Nolan. We only know the absolute bare minimum what's it's all about.

Vitamin F -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 1:00:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Three incredibly iconic, decade-defining films. Not to mention all the other stuff he wrote and the fact he was new on the scene.

QT was the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title, and for this exact reason.
He had a HUGE influence on 90s cinema and pop culture in general, even if an awful lot of the imitations he (possibly or probably) inspired were total shit.

Mr Gittes -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 3:03:11 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi

Well, in my opinion, three films is the bare minimum for this kind of thing. Hence why Cameron just missed the 80s, because, masterpieces though they may be, T1 and Aliens are still only two films (also why PTA and Fincher miss out on the 90s).

And, as many have pointed out, there's also the matter of QT's huge influence on that decade's movies. I don't know about you but when I think "90s films" the first two I think of are Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. That doesn't necessarily mean they're my favourite 90s films (that would be Se7en, Unforgiven and Schindler's List), but they nevertheless define that decade. Whether they're good or bad, there's something a little more timeless about Spielberg's films.

As for the 2010s, so far I have a feeling that Fincher's going to own this one. The Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo were brilliant, and if he adapts the rest of the Millennium Trilogy with as much success then this decade's just gonna roll into the palm of his hand.

horribleives -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 3:27:55 PM)

I'm very interested to see what Fincher does with Gone Girl. While the book's not what you'd call 'unfilmable', it's very much about the power of the written word and I'm intrigued as to how he's gonna pull off some of the story's, shall we say, not inherently cinematic twists and turns.

DancingClown -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 3:47:35 PM)

quote:

Well, in my opinion, three films is the bare minimum for this kind of thing. Hence why Cameron just missed the 80s, because, masterpieces though they may be, T1 and Aliens are still only two films (also why PTA and Fincher miss out on the 90s).

Cameron made three films in the 80s (well, four if you count Piranha 2). And Fincher made four films in the 90s, two of which could be considered game-changers.

Personally, I don't think any one director really owned an entire decade.

horribleives -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 3:55:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

Cameron made three films in the 80s (well, four if you count Piranha 2). And Fincher made four films in the 90s, two of which could be considered game-changers.

Paul Thomas Anderson made three in the '90s too, though us brits didn't get to see Magnolia 'til 2000. Though I think Mr Gittes may have meant a director had to have made three masterpieces.

DancingClown -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 4:00:07 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Paul Thomas Anderson made three in the '90s too, though us brits didn't get to see Magnolia 'til 2000. Though I think Mr Gittes may have meant a director had to have made three masterpieces.

Are you suggesting that Piranha 2 isn't considered a master-piece? 'Cos that's fightin' talk.

Mr Gittes -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 5:24:57 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed that is what I meant. Apologies, people, I should have worded that better.

Mr Gittes -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 5:29:37 PM)

quote:

I'm very interested to see what Fincher does with Gone Girl. While the book's not what you'd call 'unfilmable', it's very much about the power of the written word and I'm intrigued as to how he's gonna pull off some of the story's, shall we say, not inherently cinematic twists and turns.

I was very tempted to read Gone Girl, but decided against it just in case Fincher does make it. By the way, is it a concrete certainty that that's his next film?

Mr Gittes -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 5:32:21 PM)

Never mind, I just looked it up on IMDB. Not sure how I feel about this to be honest.

britesparc -> RE: Directors that owned decades (16/10/2013 5:39:26 PM)

I think this is an interesting topic.

I do feel that a director to "own" a decade, they have to have an influence outside of the films they themselves made. So Coppola owns the 70s because of the way he changed the system and became the first "movie brat"; Spielberg owns the 80s because he perfected the blockbuster, broke so many records, and shepherded new talent such as Zemeckis; and Tarantino owns the 90s because every third film was a sweary crime indie in which someone discusses pop culture.

NCC1701A -> RE: Directors that owned decades (17/10/2013 8:37:09 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi

And, as many have pointed out, there's also the matter of QT's huge influence on that decade's movies. I don't know about you but when I think "90s films" the first two I think of are Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. That doesn't necessarily mean they're my favourite 90s films (that would be Se7en, Unforgiven and Schindler's List), but they nevertheless define that decade. Whether they're good or bad, there's something a little more timeless about Spielberg's films.

As for the 2010s, so far I have a feeling that Fincher's going to own this one. The Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo were brilliant, and if he adapts the rest of the Millennium Trilogy with as much success then this decade's just gonna roll into the palm of his hand.

I know that QT films have a lot of fans I hated Pulp fiction but I understand that people love his love his work it's just not my cup of tea.However Se7en, Unforgiven and Schindler's List are great films.

Mr Gittes -> RE: Directors that owned decades (17/10/2013 8:36:34 PM)

Fair enough, man. Different strokes. And I definitely prefer Spielberg as a director (same with Fincher too). But you do have to admit that QT had a huge impact on the 90s culture and made three very highly acclaimed films in that decade, not to mention writing the screenplays for a few other well-regarded flicks.

I don't like Guy Ritchie as a director, and for me Layer Cake beats all of his films combined, but I'm not going to deny that he pretty much owns the modern British gangster film.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI