Pacific Rim Trailer Roars In (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Pacific Rim Trailer Roars In (13/12/2012 12:44:17 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Garet6 -> (13/12/2012 12:44:17 AM)

This is how you do robots punching things. GTD just took a dump on your doorstep, Michael Bay.

ChesterCopperpot -> Guest starring... (13/12/2012 12:53:29 AM)

GLaDOS from Portal.

Deviation -> RE: Guest starring... (13/12/2012 1:17:58 AM)

My money cannot come out faster out of my wallet.

blindlemonpie -> (13/12/2012 1:37:41 AM)

I just wet my pants.......

spamandham -> RE: (13/12/2012 1:51:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: blindlemonpie

I just wet my pants.......

I also just wet your pants.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: (13/12/2012 1:51:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Garet6

This is how you do robots punching things. GTD just took a dump on your doorstep, Michael Bay.

I see little to no-difference.

Deviation -> RE: RE: (13/12/2012 2:20:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

One has clear craft, visual nuance, great design for the robots and monsters, love and dedication, capable framing of the action (if the trailer is of any indication) and awesome actors while the other has the ugliest robot designs ever.

Overmind -> RE: Guest starring... (13/12/2012 3:19:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChesterCopperpot

GLaDOS from Portal.

You stole the words out of my mouth ...
But yes ..must be.

Cynric -> Awesome robots... (13/12/2012 7:34:34 AM)

... Just don't let Shinji Ikari near them.

tommypocket -> RE: Awesome robots... (13/12/2012 7:45:47 AM)

Was anyone else expecting the tone of this to be a bit more... fun? It all looks very dour...

...and was that really the best take of Idris Elba's gung-ho speech?

pgmark -> Power Rangers Assemble (13/12/2012 8:39:09 AM)

It is basically a giant version of the power rangers but thats ok by me. It looks a lot of fun and very blockbusteresque. Got to hand it to Guillermo, he doesn't do things by half, nor does he let his style get in the way of spectacle which is what I want with a film like this. If I want more for the mind and soul he has a great selection of other films to watch. I'll just enjoy this one thanks.

waltham1979 -> Absolutely Bonkers!! (13/12/2012 9:03:57 AM)

Like Power Rangers with a budget!! Love it!!

pete_traynor -> RE: Absolutely Bonkers!! (13/12/2012 9:22:42 AM)

Well colour me unexcited.

Thought this sounded rather bland on paper and it looks rather bland on screen.

Not expecting this to buck the trend of his English language work being below par.

pete_traynor -> RE: (13/12/2012 9:25:26 AM)

quote:

And I think hell be taking a great big dump on cinemas goers next summer. [;)]

I really see little difference in Bay and GDTs robot smack downs on the strength of this.

pete_traynor -> RE: RE: (13/12/2012 9:27:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

One has clear craft, visual nuance, great design for the robots and monsters, love and dedication, capable framing of the action (if the trailer is of any indication) and awesome actors while the other has the ugliest robot designs ever.

I also see little to no-difference.

James2183 -> RE: RE: (13/12/2012 9:28:32 AM)

Shut up and take my money! [/Fry]

rossabroad -> Robot Jox much? (13/12/2012 9:38:48 AM)

I'm showing my age here (and I appreciate there weren't any monster in it), but this seems to borrow fairly heavily from Robot Jox, even the fist into palm bit

paulyboy -> RE: RE: (13/12/2012 9:44:36 AM)

If I'm brutally honest, whilst it looks fun (modern day Robot Jox Vs Monsters, the 8 year old in me just wet himself), if Del Toro's name wasn't attached to this I'd probably be fearing the worst, everyone would.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I also think it has the potential to be a howler of mythic proportions!

dseys -> RE: RE: (13/12/2012 10:00:49 AM)

I think movies like this (giant robots & co) need to be fun. Michael Bay can handle that very well, GDT can't - only judging by this trailer. Here every frame is dark and everyone involved looks freaking serious.

The CGI look good but... dj vu: robots from Transformers, sea-aliens plot from Battleship, ugly monster from Wrath of the Titans, and here we go! The people here are the first to say how much the 3 aforementioned movies are crap, but now they seem excited. Strange.

nybras -> Looks fun (13/12/2012 10:13:45 AM)

and Jax from Sons of Anarchy who is a badass MoFo in latest season of SOA!

Coyleone -> (13/12/2012 10:17:12 AM)

Oh yeah! Excited for this mainly because of IDRIS ELBA! That 'Canceling The Apocalypse' line is amazing! Also looks like tons of fun. Who the hell doesn't want to see giant monsters that look awesome fighting robots that look awesome with IDRIS ELBA in one of the robots!!! Seriously!

palerider_uk -> Same old same old (13/12/2012 10:20:57 AM)

Giant monster and fighting robots, meh! I was hoping for something a little more original, but as soon as you have set peices where its basically been done before, like the bridge sequence ( Cloverfield and various godzilla films), it just does not let the film stand on its own two feet.
I dont get it!

Nicky C -> Re: Same old same old (13/12/2012 10:36:09 AM)

Really? You were expecting something more than robots fighting monsters from GDT's 'robots vs. monsters' movie? Troll!

pete_traynor -> RE: Re: Same old same old (13/12/2012 10:51:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicky C

Really? You were expecting something more than robots fighting monsters from GDT's 'robots vs. monsters' movie? Troll!

That's not a troll comment at all.

Given some of GDT's work in the past this does all look very generic and by the numbers. The visual flair and beautiful design aesthetics he displayed in Pans Labyrinth for example are not evident in this footage at all. While his Hollywood films are always a little substandard in my opinion, the breathtaking storytelling and visuals from his older works made some (myself included) hope there was more to this than just monsters Vs robots. Who knows, maybe there is as this is only the first trailer. But given the heights he has previously achieved, this is an extremely underwhelming looking trailer. I agree with the post up the page, if we haven't known it was GDT would anyone really have batted an eyelid if Bay's name had popped up at the end?  

No answers actually required to that question, as if anyone answered yes (solely on that trailer) I would not believe them.

Wrap this up and get back to badgering studios about At the Mountains of Madness.

burtbondy -> Robot Jox Remake (13/12/2012 10:57:14 AM)

Toro is way overrated. Blade 2 is his only good film.

sowasred2012 -> I have a plan. (13/12/2012 11:03:57 AM)

If we all go see this and help it make buckets and buckets of money, then some studio exec somewhere will think "Hey! If people like this stuff then maybe we should make a bunch of Evangelion movies!", and we can all revel in the lunacy of those bad boys.

pete_traynor -> RE: I have a plan. (13/12/2012 11:11:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sowasred2012

If we all go see this and help it make buckets and buckets of money, then some studio exec somewhere will think

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor
about At the Mountains of Madness.

There, much better. [;)]

Nicky C -> Re: I have a plan. (13/12/2012 11:31:02 AM)

Actually, this is what we're getting instead of Neon Genesis. Weta did design work for a possible NGE movie about the middle of last decade, but nobody wanted to pay for it. GDT has taken the concept and made a movie that (hopefully) will sell internationally, which must be more reassuring to the studio. Now I'm holding out for a live-action Gunbuster!

El_Barbudo -> Oppa Gundam Style (13/12/2012 12:34:19 PM)

Well it's sure to do well in Japan.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI