RE: Man of Steel (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

waltham1979 -> RE: Man of Steel (13/12/2012 12:20:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I liked Richard Donner's movie for the first half. But then Lex Luthor was introduced, and the whole movie went to hell every time he and his two idiotic sidekicks were on screen. Then whenever Superman is on screen he has the cheesiest smile plastered on his face for no damn reason. Then Superman takes Lois for a flight, and her voiceover recites cheesy poetry for no reason. Then when I didn't think it could get any worse, Lois dies and Superman goes back in time to save her (a talent he never makes use of before or after). If they'd kept the tone of the first half of the movie throughout, it would be great, but as it is it's the closest to a good live action movie Superman has so far.

Bryan Singer's movie is great up until the plane sequence... then absolutely nothing exciting happens for the entirety of the rest of the movie. I'm a fan of the Dark Knight Trilogy, so it's obvious I'm all for a superhero movie that takes things more seriously. But Nolan knew not to put his best setpiece at the beginning of the movie and then have a whole lot of nothing happen for the rest of it. Some people have problems with the casting of Lois, or the son of Superman sub-plot. I don't have problems with any of that... just how completely dull it is. Plus, Luthor's plot is pretty much identical to the first movie... as if he just has a really small cycle of evil plots, and when they all fail he just goes back to the beginning.

I think this trailer is just a statement of intent. Letting everyone know that yes this will be a serious take on Superman throughout. No jarring intended-to-be-funny-but-utterly-unfunny takes on the villains that we've grown accustomed to, and some epic action thrown in, too. Pretty much looks like the best of the previous movies without the worst to me. Of course, time will tell... Snyder and Nolan could fall into the exact same traps that Singer did. But this looks a lot more promising than I thought it would when I first heard about it. As far as I'm concerned, if every superhero movie followed the same formula as The Avengers, I'd get very bored of them quite quickly. I like that the Marvel Cinematic Universe, X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, and now Superman very much follow their own formulas so that even though all of them do similar things, they do them in their own way and keep things fresh.

There's a reason that since 2008, these kind of movies have consistently been the best blockbusters being released every year (not counting things like Inception, which I think did better than most people expected it ever would, obviously).

Mrs. Tessmacher was fucking hot though!!!! [:)]

waltham1979 -> RE: Man of Steel (13/12/2012 12:28:34 PM)

quote:

Just like all of the people who can't understand when famous people suffer from depression... "If I had they're money, I wouldn't be depressed", as if it's a logical thing that you can control and pacify with things. That attitude has always been annoying to me. They're the kind of people who like to tell people to just "snap out of it", and can't get their head around the facts of depression. And one of the things that makes people depressed is feeling like an outsider. It doesn't matter what abilities you have, if you're an alien who has to hide your true nature it's going to take its toll on you. Not that I think that this is going to be the study of depression that a lot of people fear.

It makes me wonder, though, if that's exactly what Tim Burton's Superman movie would have been like.

But I want a Superman film where he gets punched through a building, thats filled with epic spectacle...not a film about how crap he feels. I hate the idea of a him turning into Rodger from the first series of Friends: "Hey i've got super powers but Oh, define me! Define me! Love me, I need love!". Who wants to watch that shit?!

Like I keep saying; its a trailer and I hope I'm wrong and I'm all for a great film. I just hoped this would be more like Avengers fun as oppossed to The Dark Knight Trilogy fun!!

Dannybohy -> RE: Man of Steel (13/12/2012 12:41:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

Just like all of the people who can't understand when famous people suffer from depression... "If I had they're money, I wouldn't be depressed", as if it's a logical thing that you can control and pacify with things. That attitude has always been annoying to me. They're the kind of people who like to tell people to just "snap out of it", and can't get their head around the facts of depression. And one of the things that makes people depressed is feeling like an outsider. It doesn't matter what abilities you have, if you're an alien who has to hide your true nature it's going to take its toll on you. Not that I think that this is going to be the study of depression that a lot of people fear.

It makes me wonder, though, if that's exactly what Tim Burton's Superman movie would have been like.

But I want a Superman film where he gets punched through a building, thats filled with epic spectacle...not a film about how crap he feels. I hate the idea of a him turning into Rodger from the first series of Friends: "Hey i've got super powers but Oh, define me! Define me! Love me, I need love!". Who wants to watch that shit?!

Like I keep saying; its a trailer and I hope I'm wrong and I'm all for a great film. I just hoped this would be more like Avengers fun as oppossed to The Dark Knight Trilogy fun!!

Very rare a post makes me actually lol.! I think your Friends quote might be on the wall in Nolan's offices.

AxlReznor -> RE: Man of Steel (13/12/2012 12:47:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

Oh, I know. I agree with you about that. I was just commenting on the people who seem to think it would be impossible for someone to be depressed if they had superpowers/money/etc. and making the point that depression doesn't work like that. Even though I don't want a depressed Superman, I can see how it would work and why someone like him would be depressed not only despite his abilities, but actually because of them.

I don't really see any depression in the trailer myself, though. Sure, there's conflict there... but that doesn't automatically equate to depression.

waltham1979 -> RE: Man of Steel (13/12/2012 1:16:10 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, I know. I agree with you about that. I was just commenting on the people who seem to think it would be impossible for someone to be depressed if they had superpowers/money/etc. and making the point that depression doesn't work like that. Even though I don't want a depressed Superman, I can see how it would work and why someone like him would be depressed not only despite his abilities, but actually because of them.

I don't really see any depression in the trailer myself, though. Sure, there's conflict there... but that doesn't automatically equate to depression.

No I get that; I can appreciate some superheroes being a bit down and conflicted (X-Men's Rogue for example; worst hand-job giver in the world...ever!). I just think maybe I am viewing this trailer through my Donner's version is definative tinted glasses.

Hey look I will naturally go and watch the film and naturally I shall wear my Superman T-shirt to humilate my girlfriend; but if he starts crying like Dawson I am getting up and leaving!! (at the end of the film obviously; if I walked out half way through it would be a waste of money and I am quite poor on account of having to constantly find new girlfriends to humiliate with my array of superhero t-shirts at the cinema!) [:(]

garvielloken -> RE: Man of Steel (14/12/2012 12:59:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

I hate Nolan's name coming up in every discussion on upcoming movies.

Well then, you should stop doing it.

AxlReznor -> RE: Man of Steel (14/12/2012 1:01:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

I hate Nolan's name coming up in every discussion on upcoming movies.

Well then, you should stop doing it.

I wish there was a Like button on here. [:D]

garvielloken -> RE: Man of Steel (14/12/2012 1:20:31 PM)

You can rate my post full marks. I'm a whore for compliments. [:D]

Russ Whitfield -> RE: Epic epicness with an extra side of epic (14/12/2012 1:51:31 PM)

Well said, Jordie B.

carlrogers22 -> RE: Epic epicness with an extra side of epic (14/12/2012 7:30:04 PM)

This looks really good to me. I think Goyer's idea will be more complex though, than an angsty god in primary colours. When you really strip it down I think it will be: How do you bring up a child who could destroy the planet? How do you send Kal-El to his room?

I think the angst will be on Jonathan and Martha, who will have to do their best to raise someone whose destiny is to save or enslave 7 Billion people. If they get it wrong, or if another influence comes along, like, I dunno, General Zod or someone, then the planet is fucked!

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Man of Steel (14/12/2012 10:34:57 PM)

quote:

Maybe the people who have seen the previous 5 Superman films and are simply bored with it being nothing more than "fun?" (Not forgetting too that 3 out of that 5...were shite).

Noticed your comments regarding the Dark Knight trilogy being completelty devoid of humour as well - which I strongly disagree with.

For sure, it's not full of belly laughs, fart jokes & "puny god" moments, but there is a wry comedic angle throughout all 3 films. It's not completely laugh-free (there's the joker for goodness sake, much of what he does is actually quite funny - in a twisted sense obviously).

Also (and as someone pointed out) I'm getting tired of this "why do all superheroes have to be dark, can't they just lighten up" crap. As Nolan's bat films & Marvel's recent efforts have proved, there's room for both. And as Clark has never been depicted as anything other than light, I for one am looking immensely forward to this interpretation.

As for the trailer - very promising! Snyder's output in the past has been troublesome for me, but at least he's not writing the script for this one.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Man of Steel (15/12/2012 2:19:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

Looks like Nolan/Snyder are approaching the Superman character as though he exists in the 'real-world', which is a fascinating way of looking at this story. It seems obvious really, but nobody's ever done it before. Not with Superman anyway. Nolan's done it with Batman, and look how that turned out. I mean, really - How would you feel if you had these extraordinary powers? It would take an awful lot of guts to boldly come out and say to the world "This is who I am, this is my identity." Superman embraces his alien origins (eventually) by wearing the Superman suit. It's powerful stuff, and relevant in a world full of hate, racism, homophobia, and so on. It takes a lot of inner strength to truly be who you are. To know that there are people (many people) who will not accept it.

This is an excellent point. My gut-feeling tells me that this idea will be at the very heart of this film & the others that follow (assuming there will be direct sequels to this story - which I imagine there will be).

Cool Breeze -> RE: Epic epicness with an extra side of epic (16/12/2012 11:24:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jordieb

It annoys me when people say that Superman isnt a complex character, or more annoyingly hes not as complex as Batman. Bruce Wayne only lost his mum and dad, superman lost his entire family and planet of his people. He is from another world and has the power to destroy all of us but instead chooses to protect us. Singer hit every one of these notes for me and Superman Returns is up there with the best for me, but because there wasn't a lot of action in it people didnt see it, with nolan in the wings and a Goyer script this promising trailer looks to have the balance right. In other words, I can't wait!

This.

waltham1979 -> RE: Man of Steel (17/12/2012 9:16:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

Maybe the people who have seen the previous 5 Superman films and are simply bored with it being nothing more than "fun?" (Not forgetting too that 3 out of that 5...were shite).

Noticed your comments regarding the Dark Knight trilogy being completelty devoid of humour as well - which I strongly disagree with.

For sure, it's not full of belly laughs, fart jokes & "puny god" moments, but there is a wry comedic angle throughout all 3 films. It's not completely laugh-free (there's the joker for goodness sake, much of what he does is actually quite funny - in a twisted sense obviously).

Also (and as someone pointed out) I'm getting tired of this "why do all superheroes have to be dark, can't they just lighten up" crap. As Nolan's bat films & Marvel's recent efforts have proved, there's room for both. And as Clark has never been depicted as anything other than light, I for one am looking immensely forward to this interpretation.

As for the trailer - very promising! Snyder's output in the past has been troublesome for me, but at least he's not writing the script for this one.

Where and when? I love The Dark Knight Trilogy; lllooovvveee the films but they are a humour vacuum. Even the lighter parts, for me, are not exploited in anyway and whilst I thouroughly enjoy each film individually they are very intense and hard going movies where as something like Avengers, for example, are able to be a great film without that undertone of seriousness to it.

I certainly would completely disagree with your claim that each of the Nolan Bat films have "a wry comedic angle throughout".

You have taken one quote from one post and taken it completely out of context. I too am eagerly looking forward to this film; I think the trailer is immense. Just personally I do get sick of hearing Directors/Producers etc claiming that every film has now got to be 'dark and gritty'. I love Superman and maybe - as I stated in another post - I am looking at this through the attitude of Donner's Superman being untouchable; but I just hope that this effort isn't a two and half hour exploration about how depressing it must be to be a Superhero. I don't want to watch that. Thats been done three times with Nolan's Bruce Wayne.

One of the things I've always enjoyed about the Clarke/Superman alterego is that Kal-El seems to actually enjoy being Superman, at least in the films anyway (I haven't read too many of the comics so I don't know if this is cannon) and I enjoy that. Also, I would like to be able to take my 11 year old son to this for him to enjoy the spectacle and epic nature of the film which is something I didn't feel he could/would enjoy with the Batman films.

You treat the word 'fun' like its a dirty word - why can't films be fun? Isnt that what they are meant to be?

*drops to his knees and put his hands up in the air* "think about the children!! the children!!!!!"

denius88 -> RE: SUPER-AWESOME! (17/12/2012 9:24:17 AM)

This movie is not to good.

AxlReznor -> RE: SUPER-AWESOME! (17/12/2012 9:59:42 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: denius88

This movie is not to good.

Well, I'm certainly glad your psychic powers are around to warn us before we waste our money in six months time! [;)]

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Man of Steel (18/12/2012 3:36:51 AM)

quote:

Where and when? I love The Dark Knight Trilogy; lllooovvveee the films but they are a humour vacuum.

Much of what Lucius says.

Much of what Alfred says.

A lot of Wayne's interactions with the two above.

The joker's pencil trick & virtually that entire scene.

His antics around & outside Gotham general.

"Does it come in black?"

The "you're in for a show tonight son" policeman.

Selina's wise-cracking.

Wayne's camera EMP thing.

I could carry on, but I concede no example includes the breaking of wind.

quote:

Even the lighter parts, for me, are not exploited in anyway and whilst I thouroughly enjoy each film individually they are very intense and hard going movies where as something like Avengers, for example, are able to be a great film without that undertone of seriousness to it.

Exactly, Which is why it's great to have both.

quote:

I certainly would completely disagree with your claim that each of the Nolan Bat films have "a wry comedic angle throughout".

Well that's your opinion.

quote:

You have taken one quote from one post and taken it completely out of context.

There's a curious irony here. [:D]

quote:

I too am eagerly looking forward to this film; I think the trailer is immense. Just personally I do get sick of hearing Directors/Producers etc claiming that every film has now got to be 'dark and gritty'.

Who is saying this exactly? Certainly not the folks at marvel.

quote:

I love Superman and maybe - as I stated in another post - I am looking at this through the attitude of Donner's Superman being untouchable; but I just hope that this effort isn't a two and half hour exploration about how depressing it must be to be a Superhero. I don't want to watch that. Thats been done three times with Nolan's Bruce Wayne.

So all you're wanting is a retreat of what came before? Why so hostile to a different interpretation? For the record, I'm hoping that the next Bats one is lighter. Not because I prefer lightness, but because I want to see different takes on the character. If it's just a regurgitation on what came directly before - what's the point?

quote:

One of the things I've always enjoyed about the Clarke/Superman alterego is that Kal-El seems to actually enjoy being Superman, at least in the films anyway (I haven't read too many of the comics so I don't know if this is cannon) and I enjoy that. Also, I would like to be able to take my 11 year old son to this for him to enjoy the spectacle and epic nature of the film which is something I didn't feel he could/would enjoy with the Batman films.

Well then, take him to the Marvel ones or show him the old Superman films (all 5 of them). It's greedy to suggest that they should all have to conform to your innocent & light of touch preferences.

quote:

You treat the word 'fun' like its a dirty word - why can't films be fun? Isnt that what they are meant to be?

And you're treating the word 'serious' as a dirty word. Films can certainly be fun, but why can't they be anything more than that?

The beauty of films (and superhero vehicles) is that they can be anything you want them to be. To simply reduce them to nothing other than escapist or "fun" forms of entertainment demeans the medium. I'll admit I prefer my superhero vehicles to have a serious undertone to them, as for me that adds thematic resonance & emotional depth. Yet, I'll happily embrace either if they work within their terms & are offering something fresh. For my money, there's nowt fresh doing another "light" Superman film, just as there's nothing fresh doing another "dark" Batman film.

Dannybohy -> RE: Man of Steel (18/12/2012 2:33:39 PM)

quote:

quote:

Where and when? I love The Dark Knight Trilogy; lllooovvveee the films but they are a humour vacuum.

"Does it come in black?"

Selina's wise-cracking.

I could carry on, but I concede no example includes the breaking of wind.

quote:

Wow! I think I must of watched a totally different movie! None of the above where remotely amusing!. Is there a Directors Cut Funny edition I missed out on!?

Cool Breeze -> RE: Man of Steel (18/12/2012 3:02:50 PM)

There is good humour in most of Nolans films.The Dark Knight trilogy in particular.

But there is nothing as camp and silly as a poodle grabbing Batmans batarang in mid air or an army of rocket firing penguins marching down an inexplicably empty Gotham square.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Man of Steel (18/12/2012 8:31:01 PM)

quote:

Wow! I think I must of watched a totally different movie! None of the above where remotely amusing!. Is there a Directors Cut Funny edition I missed out on!?
quote:

In your humble opniion.

And what if I told you that your avatar is an oxymoron? [;)]

Deviation -> RE: Man of Steel (18/12/2012 9:02:35 PM)

The pencil bit in TDK is legitimately hilarious.

Joserabal -> RE: SUPER-AWESOME! (19/12/2012 4:39:08 AM)

Man of Steel is a great movie and i think the next part will be great............[:'(]

waltham1979 -> RE: Man of Steel (19/12/2012 9:18:30 AM)

quote:

quote:

"Does it come in black?"

Selina's wise-cracking.

1. I could carry on, but I concede no example includes the breaking of wind

quote:

Even the lighter parts, for me, are not exploited in anyway and whilst I thouroughly enjoy each film individually they are very intense and hard going movies where as something like Avengers, for example, are able to be a great film without that undertone of seriousness to it.

2. Exactly, Which is why it's great to have both.

quote:

3. Well that's your opinion.

quote:

You have taken one quote from one post and taken it completely out of context.

4. There's a curious irony here. [:D]

quote:

I too am eagerly looking forward to this film; I think the trailer is immense. Just personally I do get sick of hearing Directors/Producers etc claiming that every film has now got to be 'dark and gritty'.

5. Who is saying this exactly? Certainly not the folks at marvel.

quote:

I love Superman and maybe - as I stated in another post - I am looking at this through the attitude of Donner's Superman being untouchable; but I just hope that this effort isn't a two and half hour exploration about how depressing it must be to be a Superhero. I don't want to watch that. Thats been done three times with Nolan's Bruce Wayne.

So all you're wanting is a retreat of what came before? Why so hostile to a different interpretation? For the record, I'm hoping that the next Bats one is lighter. Not because I prefer lightness, but because I want to see different takes on the character. If it's just a regurgitation on what came directly before - what's the point?

quote:

6. Well then, take him to the Marvel ones or show him the old Superman films (all 5 of them). It's greedy to suggest that they should all have to conform to your innocent & light of touch preferences.

quote:

7. And you're treating the word 'serious' as a dirty word. Films can certainly be fun, but why can't they be anything more than that?

The beauty of films (and superhero vehicles) is that they can be anything you want them to be. To simply reduce them to nothing other than escapist or "fun" forms of entertainment demeans the medium. I'll admit I prefer my superhero vehicles to have a serious undertone to them, as for me that adds thematic resonance & emotional depth. Yet, I'll happily embrace either if they work within their terms & are offering something fresh. For my money, there's nowt fresh doing another "light" Superman film, just as there's nothing fresh doing another "dark" Batman film.

1. I enjoy the patronising notion that the only humour or comedy I enjoy are 'fart jokes'. Where did I say that I wanted to see Superman break wind? *shudders at the thought of the Wayan brothers doing Superman one day* Yes the pencil trick had people rolling in the isles and my sides literally split with the line 'does it come in black?' [;)] but I must have watched a different trilogy to you as I found those seens amusing but I would hardly say these handful of scenes gives the trilogy an underlying line of humor.

2. Thanks for agreeing with me.

3. Thanks; I am glad I am allowed one [;)]

4. Umm the folks at Marvel said that very thing about Iron Man 3...?!

5. Nope again I didn't say that and I am not being hostile towards the idea of a new approach; I simply talking about my expectations of the film and then responding other posts - hence how you seem to have taken one post I have made as oppossed to looking at my other posts before responding.

6. He has seen them; he thinks their lame...I almost hit him [:D]

7. I completely agree with you. Its Christmas - c'mere and gimme a Christmas hug!! [sm=love25.gif]

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Man of Steel (19/12/2012 9:44:50 AM)

quote:

1. I enjoy the patronising notion that the only humour or comedy I enjoy are 'fart jokes'. Where did I say that I wanted to see Superman break wind? *shudders at the thought of the Wayan brothers doing Superman one day* Yes the pencil trick had people rolling in the isles and my sides literally split with the line 'does it come in black?' [;)] but I must have watched a different trilogy to you as I found those seens amusing but I would hardly say these handful of scenes gives the trilogy an underlying line of humor.

Well you insinuated that you only find conventional comedy amusing. Perhaps fart jokes wasn't the greatest example & I tend to find humour in the darkest of places anyway.

quote:

2. Thanks for agreeing with me.

You're welcome, then why are we arguing? [:(]

quote:

3. Thanks; I am glad I am allowed one [;)]

You should be. [:D]

quote:

4. Umm the folks at Marvel said that very thing about Iron Man 3...?!

Well they've yet to make a "dark" film, so I wouldn't get tied up in knots over this potential misquote just yet.

quote:

5. Nope again I didn't say that and I am not being hostile towards the idea of a new approach; I simply talking about my expectations of the film and then responding other posts - hence how you seem to have taken one post I have made as oppossed to looking at my other posts before responding.

Well you suggested you didn't want a dark and brooding film, rather an action packed one. The trailer suggested we might get both. Just wait and see eh?

quote:

6. He has seen them; he thinks their lame...I almost hit him [:D]

Maybe he's ready for some Nolan darkness then? [;)]

quote:

7. I completely agree with you. Its Christmas - c'mere and gimme a Christmas hug!! [sm=love25.gif]

Sure!!! [sm=love01.gif](runs towards waltham in slow motion with his arms wide open)

AxlReznor -> RE: SUPER-AWESOME! (19/12/2012 10:18:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joserabal

Man of Steel is a great movie and i think the next part will be great............[:'(]

And we have another psychic, ladies and gentlemen!

waltham1979 -> RE: Man of Steel (19/12/2012 11:20:20 AM)

quote:

quote:

Sure!!! [sm=love01.gif](runs towards waltham in slow motion with his arms wide open)

If this forum was directed by Micheal Bay you would be running towards me in slow motion...with explosions behind you and/or with a helicopter over heard...at sunset...in hot pants...

Cool Breeze -> RE: SUPER-AWESOME! (19/12/2012 11:42:38 AM)

quote:

quote:

I guess this is why its called the silly season.

Dannybohy -> RE: SUPER-AWESOME! (19/12/2012 2:20:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

I guess this is why its called the silly season.

I predict is will suck balls and so will reboot they will do 5 years later

AxlReznor -> RE: SUPER-AWESOME! (19/12/2012 2:25:36 PM)

I couldn't help reading that in the voice of Bill Murray in Ed Wood...

Dannybohy -> RE: SUPER-AWESOME! (20/12/2012 9:30:59 AM)

quote:

I couldn't help reading that in the voice of Bill Murray in Ed Wood...

quote:

Search   

[:D]

Daily Quiz
Movie News
Blogs
Reviews
Future Films
Features
Interviews
Images
Competitions
Forum
Magazine
iPad
Podcast

Forum Home Log Off My Subscription Inbox Address Book Member List Search Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI