Most important part of the film for YOU? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Powka -> Most important part of the film for YOU? (9/12/2012 3:00:34 AM)

I was wondering, what is the most important part of the film it is for yourself? A.K.A in charge of which Academy Awards category would you like to be? Lead/Supporting cast, cinematography, OST, directing, writing, etc. etc.

Whistler -> RE: Most important part of the film for YOU? (9/12/2012 11:56:10 AM)

The director always holds the most interest for me, but if we're talking importance, I'd say every role is as important as the last.

holdemax -> RE: Most important part of the film for YOU? (9/12/2012 1:40:21 PM)

I heard once that the three most important things needed to make a good movie are

a good script, a good script, and a good script

I agree with this, if you haven't got a decent foundation there's nothing for anyone else on the movie to work with

Powka -> RE: Most important part of the film for YOU? (9/12/2012 4:45:01 PM)

No, it's not the question of importance - I agree that any part is important for a great film!

I mean what do YOU usually criticize the most? What are you paying the most attention to? Which category in the Academy Awards would you like to be responsible for?

I personally always look into acting first and foremost. My friend with whom I go watch films most of the time notices the script first, and only if the script is solid he would proceed to discuss anything beside that.

"a good script, a good script, and a good script" - I gotta say there are actors that could make any piece of shit look interesting. You would be drawn to their performance and you won't even understand why, and after you would realize that all they did was talk some nonsense for 30min.[:)]

Whistler -> RE: Most important part of the film for YOU? (9/12/2012 6:05:11 PM)

Ah, well in that case I probably do criticize acting and writing the most. Or at least I notice when it's done well or badly a lot more than other areas. While directing interests me the most, when it's done badly it can be irritating but it's not as fatal to the film as acting or writing.

Spectre -> RE: Most important part of the film for YOU? (9/12/2012 9:54:14 PM)

Probably the writing. Plotholes are particularly annoying.

I like everything to come together in the third act - all narratives concluded and all character arcs completed.

That said wooden acting can render a film completely un-immersive as can clunky direction.

I don't think that I'm too demanding.[:D]

Mr Gittes -> RE: Most important part of the film for YOU? (28/3/2013 1:42:57 PM)

Probably direction. For example, The King's Speech is a perfectly good film but I just can't watch it these days with the knowledge that Hooper won Best Director over Fincher. It aggravates me so fucking much. Another, different, example would be Captain America: First Avenger. Yeah, you could say it's got a crappy script and all that, but I quite enjoyed it because of Johnston's visuals (I do love it when a director skilfully uses widescreen). Also, even when their movies are below par, I could watch anything by Spielberg or Scorsese because their visuals are always top-notch.

Overused steadicam irritates the utter crap out of me. This is my biggest gripe with Clint Eastwood and why I will never call him a great director. Unforgiven remains the biggest exception though; by far his best movie and one of my all-time favourites. However, everything else, even when it's terrific (like Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Changeling etc), is ruined for me because there are so many scenes where it's steadicam, steadicam, steadicam. I hate it. That is unless it's used very stylistically like with Kubrick or - you guessed it - Spielberg or Scorsese. But when it's just thrown in there where a dolly or even just a tripod would suffice, it's the epitome of visual laziness to me. It's also why I utterly loathe the Swedish sequels to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (hurry up and remake them too, Fincher, please!).

So there you go. It would have to be direction with me.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Most important part of the film for YOU? (28/3/2013 1:50:17 PM)

The action scenes

Bloke from Oz -> RE: Most important part of the film for YOU? (29/3/2013 4:07:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Powka

I mean what do YOU usually criticize the most? What are you paying the most attention to? Which category in the Academy Awards would you like to be responsible for?

[8|]
If that's your question, why not change your thread title to this???

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI