The first film you ever attended on your own? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Bloke from Oz -> The first film you ever attended on your own? (8/12/2012 5:55:33 PM)

Just interested in finding out what was the very first film you saw at the cinema - on your own - and how old you were at the time. (Maybe you have some anecdotes relating to it?)

For me it was When Harry Met Sally...; I was 16.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (8/12/2012 5:59:38 PM)

Batman. I was 11 at the time and I remember being thrilled at getting in to see a 12 rated film.

will1000 -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (8/12/2012 7:07:03 PM)

I was a bit late to the party when it came to seeing films by myself, hence my first time being Cloverfield! But I've been a few times since, including Drive and a tenth anniversary screening of The Matirx!

Harry Tuttle -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (8/12/2012 7:14:17 PM)

D'oh. I read this as being the first film to watch without adult supervision for some reason [&:].

Watching a film on my own is pretty difficult for me as I don't drive and the nearest cinema is nearly 40 miles away. We did have a cinema a few miles away a good few years back though and I think the first film I watched on my tod there was Beverly Hillbillies when I was 16 (hey I was 16 and it had Erika Eleniak in cut-off jeans in it). I'd made it a mission to watch every film that the cinema showed in 1994 and that was the only film I couldn't get anyone to come with me to watch [:D].

Magenta -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (8/12/2012 7:23:56 PM)

Moon was my first experience of cinema solo,knew I wouldn't have a true life film friend who would go along.
Luckily for me I have a lovely arts( sorry to those who I keep harping on about it too) and I don't mind going along on my own there,wouldn't go to the multiplex on my own I have to add.
Second time was The Last Station and third The Conspirator so as you can see I have impeccable taste [8D]

Hood_Man -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (8/12/2012 7:48:54 PM)

War of the Worlds when I was 17. I just usually went with friends before then, but that first time was like no experience I'd had before. FINALLY I could sit down and watch a film in a cinema without the person next to me cracking jokes about it.

Now it's my viewing method of choice.

Rebel scum -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (8/12/2012 7:59:59 PM)

The Day After Tomorrow, which might explain the soft spot I have for it. I still go on my lonesome pretty regularly, especially post-Uni when my friends are elsewhere.

DancingClown -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 1:11:09 AM)

Jurassic Park when I was 16. Empire, Leicester Square. First ever matinee showing on day of release.

Ticket was £4.

That's right. £4.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 1:41:29 AM)

Can't be entirely certain but it would have been in early 2002. I've narrowed it down to either Rock Star (why I saw that, who knows), Training Day or Black Hawk Down. BHD was definitely just me, but can't remember if I went with anyone for the other two. Which is odd, because I know exactly who I went with to every film I'd seen up to that point.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 1:45:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Jurassic Park when I was 16. Empire, Leicester Square. First ever matinee showing on day of release.

Ticket was £4.

That's right. £4.

Jurassic Park is the film I've seen the most at the cinema, by a considerable amount. It was at my local (at the time) for months and by the end of it's run there you could get in for a quid. I'd seen it 9 or 10 times by the end of the summer holidays in 1993.

Powka -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 2:37:18 AM)

Never! Haha. I find it weird.[:)]

Whistler -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 11:40:41 AM)

I think it was Die Hard 4, although I can't be 100% sure. Being thirty miles from the nearest cinema without a car made it a tad difficult to go on my own, until I moved to the city. Now I do it all the time.

giggity -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 12:09:37 PM)

X-Men 1 in 2000 when I was 11. My mum dropped me off, i watched the film and then afterwards she picked me up.

Does that count?

DancingClown -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 12:22:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

X-Men 1 in 2000 when I was 11. My mum dropped me off, i watched the film and then afterwards she picked me up.

Does that count?

Well...yes.

UTB -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 1:04:32 PM)

Miracle on 34th Street (1994) - aged 13.

Probably not the coolest film but there you go [:D]

DJ Rob C: Mark II! -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 1:41:41 PM)

Jack Frost in 1998, goodness knows how I kept it up given how scary that film is (and yes I mean the Keaton version)

holdemax -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 2:00:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Batman. I was 11 at the time and I remember being thrilled at getting in to see a 12 rated film.

Batman too, although I was 13 and thought it was fate that the BBFC had made a new classification just for me to watch it!

My family were going to watch "Three Fugitives" so I started annoying my dad until he let me watch Batman on my own instead

At the time it just pipped Convoy to the top of my all time fave list

impqueen -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 4:35:50 PM)

The Beach, Valentinesí Day 2000. 

Powka -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 4:46:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

The Beach, Valentinesí Day 2000.†

lol [:D]

Shifty Bench -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 5:07:25 PM)

I go to the cinema alone all the time, I don't like going with other people. I'm there to see the film not to chat to friends. However, I have been alone so many times I can't actually remember the first time. [:D]

Going back release date wise, it may have been Who Framed Roger Rabbit back in 1988. [:-]

Spectre -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 5:29:11 PM)

I can't remember what the film was. I tend to go alone and have been doing so for years.

impqueen -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 6:34:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Powka

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

The Beach, Valentines' Day 2000. 

lol [:D]

I know. [:D] 

It was the best day ever, the cinema was empty and I realised I much preferred being on my own. During the last 12 years Iíve gone on my own to the cinema 98% of the time unless I take my mother (such as this weekend) or my nephew (next week).   [:)]

Scruffybobby -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 6:43:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I go to the cinema alone all the time, I don't like going with other people. I'm there to see the film not to chat to friends. However, I have been alone so many times I can't actually remember the first time. [:D]

Going back release date wise, it may have been Who Framed Roger Rabbit back in 1988. [:-]

I'm much the same - although I do like to go with a mate or two now and again

Pretty sure the first film I saw by myself (certainly the first I can remember anyway) was Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom when I was 9. I'd seen films before then without a parent but I was with my brother who's 2 years older. Really can't see anyone letting their 9 year old go see a film on their own these days.

horribleives -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 7:36:24 PM)

Reservoir Dogs, February 1993, at the tender age of 15. It was also the same day I bought Therapy?'s seminal Short Sharp Shock EP.

Whistler -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 7:42:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Reservoir Dogs, February 1993, at the tender age of 15.

Words cannot express my jealousy.

horribleives -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 7:44:31 PM)

I saw it about 6 or 7 more times over the following year or so 'cos all the cinemas in Newcastle would sporadically bring it back while waiting for the BBFC to grow a pair and release it on video.

Whistler -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 7:45:35 PM)

I've been dying to see Dogs and Pulp Fiction in the cinema for years, just haven't had the chance yet...

horribleives -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 7:48:46 PM)

I saw True Romance on my own later that year though that memory was somewhat tarnished by the fact I got unceremoniously dumped by an evil woman the same day. I cried my eyes out during the bit where Gandolfini batters Patricia Arquette half to death.

Scott_ -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 7:50:33 PM)

Spider-man I think, would've been 13.

Shifty Bench -> RE: The first film you ever attended on your own? (9/12/2012 8:00:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I've been dying to see Dogs and Pulp Fiction in the cinema for years, just haven't had the chance yet...

Pulp Fiction was the first 18 film I saw in the cinema when I turned 18 (it was released about two weeks after my birthday). The Crow was the first 18 I saw in the cinema before I turned 18.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI