Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

mclane1 -> Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (30/11/2012 1:41:22 PM)

Surely from dusk till dawn is the daddy of this, from thriller to horror and not even gradually , it's like one then another in the space of 10 mins.

I think Looper changes from sci fi to horror half way though

I quite like it when this happens, can anyone recommend other movies where the genre changes suddenly for the rest of it?

Tidus -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (30/11/2012 3:23:52 PM)

Kill Bill totally owned this, it changed genre's like 5 times

Discodez -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (30/11/2012 3:53:47 PM)

Barton Fink immediately comes to mind - goes from a comedy-drama about Hollywood to a psycho killer horror thriller.

SwozTheRevenge -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (30/11/2012 3:56:48 PM)

Death Proof. From creepy slow-burn thriller to daft cat-and-mouse motorfrolics.

Ghidorah -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (30/11/2012 6:10:57 PM)

Old Boy

Started off as a violent film however halfway through it changed into something far worst.

DancingClown -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (30/11/2012 8:55:05 PM)

Some of the films that have been mentioned simply demonstrate a change in tone as opposed to genre.

jackcarter -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (30/11/2012 9:59:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

Surely from dusk till dawn is the daddy of this, from thriller to horror and not even gradually , it's like one then another in the space of 10 mins.

I think Looper changes from sci fi to horror half way though

I quite like it when this happens, can anyone recommend other movies where the genre changes suddenly for the rest of it?

i thought it changed from SF(BTTF/Terminator/12Monkeys etc) to superhero(xmen) at first but then remembered X3 cribbed from Firestarter/Scanners

Cowboys and Aliens - changes from Unforgiven to SyFy(movie of the week). maybe itd have been better if it had been a straight Craig vs Ford western called 'Cowboys'

cisco -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (30/11/2012 10:20:38 PM)

Road to the Stars.

Hood_Man -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (1/12/2012 10:50:06 AM)

Man of the Year went from being a reasonably funny comedy (with a brilliant 8 minutes within that), to being a dumb, lame thriller.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (1/12/2012 3:17:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Barton Fink immediately comes to mind - goes from a comedy-drama about Hollywood to a psycho killer horror thriller.

This is a good one and one of favourite of their films. I love how broad the humour plays in that film, also he the drama becomes finely pitched between the real world and something more surreal.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (1/12/2012 3:17:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

Do you mean slow as in every scene is over long and pointless?[;)]

Coyleone -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (1/12/2012 4:46:20 PM)

Kill List (although more towards the last quarter than half way through) turned from a tense thriller into a straight up horror film, and horrific it was.

mclane1 -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (1/12/2012 6:05:37 PM)

well I have never seen barton fink, never got round to it but i will now!
thanks discodez

DancingClown -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (1/12/2012 10:06:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

Kill List (although more towards the last quarter than half way through) turned from a tense thriller into a straight up horror film, and horrific it was.

I'd argue that it's only the tone and the intensity that changes (increases) as the film progresses. There's a slight supernatural element to the final act but it's a horror film from start to finish. There's no "genre" change.

UTB -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (1/12/2012 10:14:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

it's a horror film from start to finish

I found it to be a grim kitchen sink hitman movie until the tunnel chase, at which point it became a horror movie.

DancingClown -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (3/12/2012 7:27:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

I found it to be a grim kitchen sink hitman movie until the tunnel chase, at which point it became a horror movie.

Yeah, I know what you mean here. I think for me the fact that the pervading atmosphere of dread and uncanniness was so tangible from the start it had me seeing it as a horror from the get-go.

Discodez -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (3/12/2012 12:01:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

well I have never seen barton fink, never got round to it but i will now!
thanks discodez

You won't be dissapointed, it's a brilliant film.

SwozTheRevenge -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (7/12/2012 2:41:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

Do you mean slow as in every scene is over long and pointless?[;)]

Aye, but it is easily the better half, for me anyway.

fairyprincess -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (7/12/2012 10:27:02 PM)

Psycho: on the lam thriller at the beginning, slasher at the end.

Coyleone -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (7/12/2012 11:51:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

Yeah this is how I saw it. Saying that, I know what DC is saying about the tone and intensity too. It's definitely got elements throughout that signify the horror aspect of it coming to the surface at the end.

Sledge Hammer -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (10/12/2012 10:21:28 PM)

REC 2 - the first two films make it out to be a zombie film, then at the end, it turns into a religious possession flick.

A good twist and both very good films.

chillibanana -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (17/12/2012 4:25:28 PM)

Audition

Starts almost like a rom-com, ends VERY differently

benny the jet -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (23/12/2012 4:12:00 AM)

Death Proof. Starts off as dull, over talky and up its own smug arse but ends up...oh hang on [;)]

Judge -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (4/1/2013 7:51:55 PM)

Sunshine goes from sci-fi to horror.

england_cmr -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (7/1/2013 2:38:12 AM)

The Prestige. Goes from Dramary Thriller type thing to Sci-Fi

grucl -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (7/1/2013 2:08:11 PM)

From Dusk Till Dawn starts as a crime/road movie and turns into a gory vampire film.

Chief -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (8/1/2013 3:28:21 PM)

Cabin in the Woods. Starts of as teen horror movie, fuck knows what it turns into.

DressyCrazybull -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (12/5/2013 3:29:06 PM)

Descent started off as a psychological thriller and then WTF.

sandy666 -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (13/5/2013 9:10:53 PM)

Dark City perhaps. Starts out as crime thriller and then gets a bit weirder after that.

ghost dog -> RE: Films that change genre mid way through. possible SPOiLERS! (14/5/2013 1:10:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: chillibanana

Audition

Starts almost like a rom-com, ends VERY differently

I was going to say this too, but as another poster pointed out earlier isn't this rather a change in tone than genre...? I don't have the answer myself, just a thought :)

Takashi Miike is the master of tone, and flips between them in many of his films effortlessly.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI