The worst movie name ever! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

mclane1 -> The worst movie name ever! (29/11/2012 5:25:43 PM)

'John Carter'! had no meaning to anyone who doesnt read comics, annoyed those that do- terrible

'Fried green tomatoes at the whistletop cafe' makes me feel queezy with sickly sweetness- terrible

anymore?

elab49 -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (29/11/2012 5:34:14 PM)

Wouldn't the use of any name in a title by the same as well then? Names aren't just for pre-known characters.

SwozTheRevenge -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (29/11/2012 5:39:49 PM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayniggers_from_Outer_Space

mclane1 -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (30/11/2012 1:12:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Wouldn't the use of any name in a title by the same as well then? Names aren't just for pre-known characters.

Not really, some characters are well know and therefore it makes sense to use their name because its so iconic. Spider-Man, batman, Gandhi etc.

Whistler -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (30/11/2012 2:03:31 PM)

I don't think John Carter is a great title, but not for the same reason as you. I generally just think it's a bit boring to name films after the main character. Doesn't stop me seeing them, though.

Tidus -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (30/11/2012 3:21:02 PM)

quote:

Wouldn't the use of any name in a title by the same as well then?
Names aren't just for pre-known characters.

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1
Not really, some characters are well know

This argument hurts my brain....[:D]

homersimpson_esq -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (30/11/2012 4:13:55 PM)

Names is for tombstones.

mclane1 -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (30/11/2012 9:46:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tidus

quote:

Wouldn't the use of any name in a title by the same as well then?
Names aren't just for pre-known characters.

quote:

Not really, some characters are well know

This argument hurts my brain....[:D]

Hee hee

ElephantBoy -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (1/12/2012 3:21:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I don't think John Carter is a great title, but not for the same reason as you. I generally just think it's a bit boring to name films after the main character. Doesn't stop me seeing them, though.

Well yeah that is why comic book movies tend to come up with fancy titles, people would soon get bored with Batman 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.

Hood_Man -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (2/12/2012 12:49:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gayniggers_from_Outer_Space

Oh my days.

I've never liked Die Hard 2: Die Harder [&:]

spark1 -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (3/12/2012 10:18:58 AM)

'star trek into darkness'

Sutty -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (3/12/2012 8:24:51 PM)

I think the title The Shawshank Redemption pretty much lead to it only making about 5p at the box office.

Awesome film, rubbishy title.

Shifty Bench -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (4/12/2012 2:50:05 AM)

quote:

'John Carter'! had no meaning to anyone who doesnt read comics, annoyed those that do- terrible

I don't read comics but I knew that it was from the novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Which I haven't read either.

jonson -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (4/12/2012 7:28:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

I think the title The Shawshank Redemption pretty much lead to it only making about 5p at the box office.

I agree that it was one of the main reasons behind it's box office failure (if they had called it Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption to give it the short story's full title it might have faired better - or worse - who knows? [:D]) but on reflection I've always loved the title to be honest, it's quite accurate.

Sutty -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (4/12/2012 8:06:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

I agree that it was one of the main reasons behind it's box office failure (if they had called it Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption to give it the short story's full title it might have faired better - or worse - who knows? [:D]) but on reflection I've always loved the title to be honest, it's quite accurate.

It is a great movie title once you have seen the film and understand what the title is about. But if you're a new comer it just does not intrigue you at all. Shame. This movie should have made millions upon millions!!

Sutty -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (4/12/2012 8:09:27 AM)

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls.

An awful, clunky, unmemorable, dull, almost non-sensical movie title. I actually had to look this up again as I couldn't quite remember the full title! Rubbish movie title, and a poor movie.

Whistler -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (6/12/2012 12:12:32 AM)

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

Mr Gittes -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (28/3/2013 12:58:29 PM)

The Phantom Menace. And they say we weren't warned...

spark1 -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (28/3/2013 1:33:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

it is a shout out to the 'flash gordon' style sf serials that inspired 'star wars' and refers to palpatine/sideous's plot to become chancellor.

Mr Gittes -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (28/3/2013 1:48:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

quote:

it is a shout out to the 'flash gordon' style sf serials that inspired 'star wars' and refers to palpatine/sideous's plot to become chancellor.

Still doesn't make it any better as a title, though. It doesn't exactly sound like Star Wars, does it?

Mr Gittes -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (28/3/2013 4:12:12 PM)

I hope this doesn't have any reflection on the movie because I really want this to be good, but Monsters University is a crap title. Despite how awesome the movie is, Manhunter is also a truly awful name for a film.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (28/3/2013 4:46:55 PM)

SW:Attack of the clones is a poor title.

Mr Gittes -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (28/3/2013 6:00:54 PM)

Agreed. But at the very least it's a little more Star-Wars-y than "The Phantom Menace". I mean, what the fuck is that? This isn't some low-key whodunnit thriller, this is Star Wars, George. Star WARS.

Sorry for the short rant.

Hood_Man -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (28/3/2013 6:15:04 PM)

I'd be more annoyed at the Clones title if it wasn't for the 3,720 other things that annoy me a lot more.

thedrin -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (28/3/2013 8:53:44 PM)

The problem with John Carter is that that name, "John Carter", is really dull. Tom Cruise's recent Jack Reacher is a better title, but not by much. Naming a big budget release after the main character is fine for attracting people who are unfamiliar with the name, as long as that character has an interesting or cool sounding name

quote:

Manhunter is also a truly awful name for a film.

Really? I've not seen the film, and maybe if I did my opinion on the title might change, but that's an excellent title.

fuzzy -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (29/3/2013 12:38:17 AM)

quote:

An awful, clunky, unmemorable, dull, almost non-sensical movie title. I actually had to look this up again as I couldn't quite remember the full title! Rubbish movie title, and a poor movie.

Indiana Jones and the City of Gods would've been better. Film would've still been shit, but at least the title may have been cooler.

rich -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (29/3/2013 3:36:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

quote:

Indiana Jones and the City of Gods would've been better. Film would've still been shit, but at least the title may have been cooler.

I'll give you that.

I still don't like The Dark Knight Rises. Seems like such a random choice and a cop out over using Returns, and for a final chapter it doesn't make sense.

Mr Gittes -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (29/3/2013 5:32:51 PM)

It makes sense with the story though. Batman rising out of the ashes one last time, rising out of despair, out of the pit etc.
Still, I'll admit that it's the weakest title of the three.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (29/3/2013 6:39:47 PM)

Rise's fits the third Nolan installment perfectly in my opinion.
The Dark Knight Returns would have felt a somewhat easy,unoriginal choice.

Concerning SW: clone wars.To me it just sounds cheap and lacking in a sense of originality and stature.
There's no flamboyance or gravitas in Clone Wars,its far to literal for its own good.
Phantom Menace,though not a great title in itself,sounds far more bold.

But the SW prequels titles dont really stand-up well against A New Hope,The Empire Strikes Back and even Return Of The Jedi.

Mr Gittes -> RE: The worst movie name ever! (29/3/2013 6:50:34 PM)

Fair enough. If they'd pulled off that unseen-force-of-evil kind of tension, then I guess I wouldn't really have a problem with it. In fact, it would've been nice if they'd pulled off anything in that movie.

A New Hope's not a bad title, but I'll always refer to the original as just Star Wars. I know, I'm a pernickety bastard.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI