Ah, that's nice (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic

homersimpson_esq -> Ah, that's nice (20/11/2012 11:32:58 PM)

I wanted somewhere I could go and read about nice things. A thread about positivity. That, if you're feeling shit, you could come and read about things that make you go ah, that's nice.

So I may have mentioned this before elsewhere, but a few weeks ago my daughter left her bag on the bus: it had her teddies in, and her DSi. She was, understandably, devastated. But two things made me so, so proud that day.

Firstly, upon realising that one of the teddies was an identical one that my son had, my son without blinking an eyelid or hesitating at all told my daughter she could have his.

Secondly, my daughter - once she had composed herself - said she would ask Santa for a new DSi for Christmas. She's 7. She didn't expect a replacement DSi there and then. She was not only willing to wait over two months until Christmas to get another DSi, but she was also willing to sacrifice other Christmas presents in order to be able to ask Santa for a new one. That says an awful lot about the way her mind works, and how she didn't automatically expect immediate reparation.

Anyway, I thought that - despite the initial reason, and the cost to me - the reactions my children had to the situation was really nice.

So what stories do you have that make you go, ah, that's nice?

paul_ie86 -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 12:17:09 AM)

Well my friend grew up in a rough neighbourhood in town. One day he was just relaxing and playing some basketball when a couple of guys just started beating him up. His mother was worried so he sent him off to his aunt and uncles up in Dublin. I think they are barrister and a lecturer or something, so they are well off. He seems to be getting on well up there and some of the stories he tells me are hilarious.

Hood_Man -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 12:19:01 AM)

My friends, particularly the last few days [:)]

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 6:17:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

Well my friend grew up in a rough neighbourhood in town. One day he was just relaxing and playing some basketball when a couple of guys just started beating him up. His mother was worried so he sent him off to his aunt and uncles up in Dublin. I think they are barrister and a lecturer or something, so they are well off. He seems to be getting on well up there and some of the stories he tells me are hilarious.

*frysquint*

I can't even be bothered googling the image.

Hood, yeah, sometimes friends can really surprise you. In a nice way.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 6:31:13 AM)

When I was reading your op Homer I thought it was going to finish with someone handing in the bag and restoring faith in humanity but when I didn't I thought "that's not nice!" [:D]

Seriously though, sounds like your kids are great and shows that just because you and the mother aren't together any more doesn't mean that they have to end up on Jeremy Kyle!

sharkboy -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 10:37:44 AM)

Hobbsy, if you want a returned luggage story to restore your faith, try this one.  Who said there were no honest cabbies? [:D]

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/322219/singapore-cabbie-returns-900000-to-thai-couple

UTB -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 10:47:27 AM)

I was in a branch of Pret this morning and the woman next to me placed her order and then went to pay, only she didn't have her card on her. She said to the guy behind the counter "I'm really sorry but I can't pay - could you cancel the order?"

The guy behind the counter said "no worries, this one's on me".

It was a nice gesture, I thought.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 10:51:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Hobbsy, if you want a returned luggage story to restore your faith, try this one.  Who said there were no honest cabbies? [:D]

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/322219/singapore-cabbie-returns-900000-to-thai-couple

[sm=huh.gif]

Who in their right mind carries $1million in cash in a black plastic bag???

sanchia -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 10:59:27 AM)

This may fit the bill:

[image]http://uberhumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/k6b9P.jpg[/image]

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 11:50:03 AM)

Goddamn it, I'm in work reading that... [:(] [:(] [:(]

That's brilliant, thank you.

great_badir -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 11:59:16 AM)

My wife was putting our daughter to bed the other night and I was giving her (my daughter) a night night kiss and cuddle. She's just over two and a half and is starting to respond to the pet names we call her. So I said to her "night night chupa chup", and she responded with "ni' ni' choo choo puuuuuup". It was made even cuter by her being in a winter onesie.

clownfoot -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 12:00:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Thank goodness for working from home. Blub-tastic...

DancingClown -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 12:02:14 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2yvp4SZS3M

Hobbitonlass -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 12:09:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Thank goodness for working from home. Blub-tastic...

I had to pretend I was just blowing my nose [:D]

matty_b -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 12:20:09 PM)

I'm a sucker for stories where celebs go out of their way to be nice and generous to their fans, especially when it seems genuine.

Example 1) Johnny Depp (sorry about the link being to the Mail) - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-508227/Johnny-Depps-1m-gift-Great-Ormond-Street-hospital-saved-daughters-life.html

Example 2) Ron Perlman - http://collider.com/ron-perlman-hellboy-make-a-wish/178037/

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 12:44:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I'm a sucker for stories where celebs go out of their way to be nice and generous to their fans, especially when it seems genuine.

Example 1) Johnny Depp (sorry about the link being to the Mail) - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-508227/Johnny-Depps-1m-gift-Great-Ormond-Street-hospital-saved-daughters-life.html

Example 2) Ron Perlman - http://collider.com/ron-perlman-hellboy-make-a-wish/178037/

The little boy's face is adorable, he looks so happy. What a lovely story.

sharkboy -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 12:57:14 PM)

The Hellboy story really made my day when I first read it.  Kudos, Mr Perlman, kudos indeed.

The trouble with celebrity good deeds is that they are so quickly dismissed as nothing more than publicity stunts and I'm sure that there are no small number that fit the bill.  But when you hear of the likes of these (and didn't Depp also turn up at some London primary school in full Cap'n Jack costume following a letter from a kid?), it's a truly cynical heart that doesn't set aside any possible ulterior motive and just rejoice in the smile on the kid's face [:D]

Rhubarb -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 1:13:35 PM)

This thread's title is responsible for Gold Digger going round my head all morning, cheers Homer.

matty_b -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 1:23:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

The Hellboy story really made my day when I first read it.  Kudos, Mr Perlman, kudos indeed.

The trouble with celebrity good deeds is that they are so quickly dismissed as nothing more than publicity stunts and I'm sure that there are no small number that fit the bill.  But when you hear of the likes of these (and didn't Depp also turn up at some London primary school in full Cap'n Jack costume following a letter from a kid?), it's a truly cynical heart that doesn't set aside any possible ulterior motive and just rejoice in the smile on the kid's face [:D]

He did, yeah.

I don't think much of his acting choices in the last ten years or so, but Depp does seem a genuinely great guy.

steffols -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 1:34:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

This thread's title is responsible for Gold Digger going round my head all morning, cheers Homer.

And thank you for that, Mr Rhubarb.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 1:35:50 PM)

I have no idea of the connection, but you're welcome.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 1:37:34 PM)

quote:

*frysquint*

I can't even be bothered googling the image.

It would have taken less time to google the image than it did to explain that you weren't bothered googling the image.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 1:38:22 PM)

I think fast. I type fast.

Olaf -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 1:41:33 PM)

What sort of chump doesn't have the image bookmarked for ease of access?

sanchia -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 2:14:09 PM)

quote:

He does everything fast if the graffiti in the toilets is correct. [sm=whistle.gif]

steflon -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 2:51:30 PM)

theres a quite a bit to do at work this week (an order has come in for 500 dvd's, we need to find, relabel them all and ship them out) an i was put down for an early shift to help out, one of my colleagues yesterday said i didnt really need to be there but i thought i would (mainly for the money) but overslpet this mornin, when i called in to apologise they were all 'dont worry mate, we know you've been working alot of lates recently'

not as nice as baby nanights or brothers being awesome to their sisters but still nice cos hey...free day off heh

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 3:54:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

He does everything fast if the graffiti in the toilets is correct. [sm=whistle.gif]

Well, yeah. If the graffiti in the toilets is correct, then I don't need to spend the time with my black marker correcting it all.

Wait... what did you mean?

[&o]

Hood_Man -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 4:43:53 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

Well, yeah. If the graffiti in the toilets is correct, then I don't need to spend the time with my black marker correcting it all.

Wait... what did you mean?

[&o]

Somehow, this is actually worse than what Sanchia implied [:D]

chewbacasnapsak -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 4:55:52 PM)

my twin boys (aged 7) in their onsies (one a green dinosaur and one a blue dinosaur) both with the hoods up dancing to Gangnam Style.

The whoop whoop with the lasso motions had me and the mrs in fits of giggles nearly all night.

Rhubarb -> RE: Ah, that's nice (21/11/2012 6:42:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

And thank you for that, Mr Rhubarb.

[image]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m90hsqETLC1ql09up.gif[/image]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
4.711914E-02