Colour Identifying (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

keaneye -> Colour Identifying (15/11/2012 11:12:30 AM)

I was at an Irish animation event called Pegbar last week and a guest speaker brought up the subject of identifying characters in films through colour scheme despite changes in mood through out the film. A good example of a director who does this is Wes Anderson in such films like the The Royal Tenenbaums where all the characters have a distinct costume they wear through out the film . It got me wondering if there are any other directors who use this method a lot? There probably isn't that many, but ten would be a good number to aim for.

ripperman -> RE: Colour Identifying (15/11/2012 12:15:41 PM)

Tarantino's bad guys wearing black suits?

keaneye -> RE: Colour Identifying (15/11/2012 12:20:57 PM)

Yeah, I was thinking of him, also the names in Reservoir Dogs and the Brides' Bruce Lee style tracksuit in Kill Bill. Actually I think yellow was used a lot for the Bride in a lot of different ways. The Pussy Wagon would be an obvious one!

jcthefirst -> RE: Colour Identifying (15/11/2012 12:31:30 PM)

[image]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbhh34MDVz1qzzcb0o1_1280.jpg[/image]

keaneye -> RE: Colour Identifying (15/11/2012 12:53:58 PM)

Hahaha! Controversial!:D I have to mention that this is to do with films using colour identity as opposed to cartoons, cause they do that all the time. Live action film directors only. Tim Burton of course is also a good one, although besides the monotones, he doesn't distinguish characters a lot from each other through colour. Not as much as Wes Anderson.Example: the Narrator in Moonrise Kingdom: Red coat, green jacket, all through the film.

From_Hell -> RE: Colour Identifying (15/11/2012 8:35:16 PM)

M. Night Shyamalan uses the colour red to telegraph the presence of dead people in The Sixth Sense....

keaneye -> RE: Colour Identifying (15/11/2012 8:44:50 PM)

Yeah actually, I'm just remembering the colour and costume setup for Unbreakable as well.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
4.882813E-02