RE: Writers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic

Russ Whitfield -> RE: Writers (21/11/2012 3:52:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I just started an on-line creative writing class for fun. The feedback from my first module was quite good. So hopefully I can learn more and keep going.

If the feedback was good, ditch the course and write your thing (assuming you've not spent zillions up front on it). I've always found these things are sweet procrastination cos it puts you off writing what you should be writing and makes you write other stuff.

Do you find yourself seeking the validation of the course folk - that's what I did, anyway - it was good to hear that other people thought the stuff that I did was good and a real confidence builder.

And that was the way of things till I got published, then there was no end of people queuing up to tell me how rubbish my book was and how I couldn't write for shit.

The criticism hurts at first, till you realise that the people that don't like your work are cunts and the ones that do are heroes, worthy of lauding. That's not very authroly of me to say, but its the only way you can get past the insults. Really, some people get right personal.

But yeah - crack on, man!

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Writers (21/11/2012 4:27:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Russ Whitfield

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I just started an on-line creative writing class for fun. The feedback from my first module was quite good. So hopefully I can learn more and keep going.

If the feedback was good, ditch the course and write your thing (assuming you've not spent zillions up front on it). I've always found these things are sweet procrastination cos it puts you off writing what you should be writing and makes you write other stuff.

Do you find yourself seeking the validation of the course folk - that's what I did, anyway - it was good to hear that other people thought the stuff that I did was good and a real confidence builder.

And that was the way of things till I got published, then there was no end of people queuing up to tell me how rubbish my book was and how I couldn't write for shit.

The criticism hurts at first, till you realise that the people that don't like your work are cunts and the ones that do are heroes, worthy of lauding. That's not very authroly of me to say, but its the only way you can get past the insults. Really, some people get right personal.

But yeah - crack on, man!

I didn't spend zillions. It was on Deal Pages. I think it was Euro 69 for a 6 module course (reduced from 150). I just thought I'd do it as a bit of fun and it might be a good way to pick up some tips.

In general my feeling with courses is that they are often more useful because they carve some time in your calendar to give your attention to something than the course content itself.

The course has at least led me on module 2 to think of an interesting character I'd like to develop. So you are right. So I'm not going to neglect the other modules (it'll be over by Xmas) but I am going to crack on with this. I think the starting point and confidence to have a go were two things that are most important right now.

chewbacasnapsak -> RE: Writers (21/11/2012 5:22:58 PM)

I had/have a great idea (i think it is anyway) for a kids book, but it started with some doodles i did during a particular mind numbing seminar, but i sat down with the serious intention of drafting out a story with pictures one night. An hour later it was like that Father Ted episode when they're trying to wirte a Eurovision song.

Fuck, hats off to Julia Donaldson, its a lot tougher than it seems, maybe I just dont have the writing gene.

Mind you if some woman who thraps one out to Twilight every night can have three bestsellers there must be some hope.

Russ Whitfield -> RE: Writers (22/11/2012 10:38:35 AM)

A series based on SlaveShip Leia springs to mind....

Funkyrae -> RE: Writers (28/11/2012 9:21:13 PM)

I review "professionally". That's in inverted commas because there's no way I could ever take pay for it, I'm very wary of reviewers that do charge.

I also write a monthly column for an internet magazine and I'm now responsible for interviewing and promotions. This is very recent, but I've just had to organise an interview with Europe! I'm also editor of the New Writers UK Newsletter as well as doing copy editing and proof reading.

I've still got two novels on the go but whether I'll ever actually get them finished is another matter, they've gone onto the 'To Do' list as I'm also acting and directing.

I'm about to start contacting the big publishing houses for interviews with their stars for AWESOME, but I'm also working with the indie writers and promoting them with New Writers.

One day I'll actually get paid for the stuff I do.

Russ Whitfield -> RE: Writers (29/11/2012 8:12:53 AM)

Small world, I just wrote an article for Awesome *lol*

Funkyrae -> RE: Writers (29/11/2012 7:06:17 PM)

I know [:D] After nagging you for something for a while. [8D]

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI