Star Wars Episode VII Directors: Rumour Control (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online

Empire Admin -> Star Wars Episode VII Directors: Rumour Control (13/11/2012 3:56:10 PM)

Post your comments on this article

bereski -> (13/11/2012 3:56:11 PM)

Duncan Jones !

Nicky C -> F* ck that ... (13/11/2012 4:05:27 PM)

What about Michael Haneke? Or Nancy Meyers? Or Lars Von Trier?

otterhead -> (13/11/2012 4:19:05 PM)

I still vote for Joe Johnston. If he can handle Captain America with style, he can handle Star Wars. The man DESIGNED Star Wars IV-VI. He's the man for the job.

Rizey -> (13/11/2012 4:19:58 PM)

Ron Howard? Or how about Tim Burton? Johnny Depp to play the next Darth, Helena Bonham Carter to play Yoda's wife...

jdfxxx -> (13/11/2012 4:31:59 PM)

Bela Tarr, Gasper Noe and Aleksandr Sokurov

lewisb548 -> Sigh. (13/11/2012 4:56:12 PM)

All of those directors will fuck up star wars majorly, to be honest most directors will, Lucas should have left the films well alone that said, I am still curious as too how the films will turn out and I'm looking forward to seeing them despite the negative hype that clouds my mind at this present time.

lewisb548 -> Actually (13/11/2012 4:57:34 PM)

Duncan Jones, Matthew Vaughn- if you make another star wars it needs a big budget and better writers than that of X-men first class- also better actors.

fiercehairdo -> Pedant's Corner: "Could NOT care less" not "could care less"... (13/11/2012 5:30:44 PM)

OK, sorry to be an annoying, off-topic pedant but can someone tell Tarantino (and all Americans for that matter) that the phrase is "I couldn't care less" not " I could care less". The former means: 'I care so little that I could not possibly care any less than I do now' - which means 'I really do not care'. The latter means: 'I don't care much but I could care even less which shows I do actually care a little' -which means 'I care a little'.
These things matter people.

fiercehairdo -> Peter Jackson? (13/11/2012 5:33:08 PM)

Peter Jackson? Star Wars: A New Hope is basically a rehash of LOTR anyway...
But my vote would be for David Fincher: Jedi-Fight-Club.

Jamie_M -> Gareth Evans???? (13/11/2012 6:14:57 PM)

OH NO,, what will we do?? Cancel everything!! Second on the list is internationally acclaimed powerhouse of a Director, 31 year old Gareth Evans, and he's ruled himself out, Oh Dear.
As if this guy was ever in the running,, cheek of him! Just worry about your VHS 2 project mate, the sequel to the worst piece of sh#t ever.

Lassard -> Danny Boyle? (13/11/2012 7:08:24 PM)

Just saying

Lassard -> Danny Boyle? (13/11/2012 7:14:45 PM)

Just saying

Cravats -> (13/11/2012 7:20:54 PM)

Here's another name for the Wildcard list - Joe Cornish!

Overmind -> RE: F* ck that ... (13/11/2012 7:31:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicky C

What about Michael Haneke? Or Nancy Meyers? Or Lars Von Trier?

Suddenly alternative slave Laia in Jabbas palace scenes popped up in my head.

I'll walk calmly in to my kitchen and carve out my eyes with a fork.

sifter132 -> (13/11/2012 9:42:09 PM)

Either M.Night Shyamalan or Michael Bay.

PaoloCorleone -> (13/11/2012 9:52:59 PM)

Jim Jarmusch?? I could see Bill Murray as a sardonic droid, part Three-pio part Marvin the Paranoid Android. And Tilda Swinton would make a great female version of Grand Moff Tarkin. I jest of course but in serious terms I'm so glad MIchael Bay's name hasn't been mentioned. Also, what about Robert Rodriguez? With Spy KIds he clearly knows his way around kids movies, is familiar with the technology and can do fantasty worlds and shit like that

darktrain -> (13/11/2012 9:59:19 PM)

id love to see what david cronenburg or david lynch would do with it...just so it screwed up 11 year old kids heads who wouldnt have a clue what was going on(as well as most adults too).the creatures they would dream up would be pretty far out there!!

GUYGUR -> Neill Blomkamp!! (13/11/2012 10:35:52 PM)

It may be a outside chance but Neill Blomkamp would be awesome, that's who i'd like to see have a crack at it.
District 9 was great and I'm looking forward to seeing Elysium, clever, fun sci-fi is what the Star Wars prequels were sorely lacking.

Mightyman -> Kenneth Bragnah (13/11/2012 11:22:18 PM)

Kenneth Brannagh would do a good job. Thor was very star wars like in look and tone.

makeminemedia -> Matthew Vaughan would probably walk out! (14/11/2012 1:23:55 AM)

Matthew Vaughn walks out on xmen 3 at the last minute. Matthew Vaughan walks out on Thor. Matthew Vaughan walks out on xmen first class sequel. Matthew Vaughan is partly responsible for the lottery funding being taken. I know Lucas will respect and admire the fact the guy sets out to make commercially successful independent produced films, and don't get me wrong I've thought he did a good job so far...but I can't see Lucas giving over LOTS of control and Vaughan clearly doesn't like to play by other people's rules. Brad Bird all the way!

jobloffski -> RE: Matthew Vaughan would probably walk out! (14/11/2012 1:53:33 AM)

Now HERE's a wild card:

Trey Parker and Matt Stone. If they will work for Disney, and if Disney will hire them, after some of the things they have had to say about the house of mouse (and, indeed, George Lucas).

You don't get to be so good at spoofing film genres without understanding how they work so intimately that you can be utterly in control of what you are parodying and how you do it. And if you can push the buttons to riff on genre. you can also choose to be straight down the line, and use the imagination required to take the mickey to find ways to push the buttons to play it straight. And over the years, they have used the backdrop of being mickey takers to get into an animated show some very hard hitting stuff.

And as far as handling the use of an ensemble, and giving individual characters their moment in the spotlight goes, whether for tragedy or comedy, they've been consistently doing it for years.

You simply don't get to be as good at doing what these guys do without knowing exactly what buttons you are trying to press and how to press them. Comedy has to fulfill every single structural/storytelling function that drama requires AND be funny enough to enough people to survive the hatred every comedy show/comedian/reputed to be funny thing attracts from those not amused by it. It's the hardest narrative form there is to be successful in at all, and it takes almost unrivaled brilliance to stay in the game for a long time .

And if they don't make it, you can be totally sure they'll be first in line to commit to the screen exactly what is weak or lame about whatever whoever does make it gives us[;)]

BenTramer -> (14/11/2012 3:48:40 AM)

Guillermo Del Toro has got to be the most overrated director working today. Both Hellboy movies were rubbish, he's too abstract and arty for a Star Wars movie. He'd be all wrong for it. Neill Blomkamp? The jury's still out on him. What are James Cameron, Ridley Scott and David Fincher doing around 2015, hmm?

Matt. -> RIAN JOHNSON (14/11/2012 3:58:26 AM)

Rian Johnson should be on this list somewhere

AndyGravidy -> (14/11/2012 9:27:58 AM)

Wild card - Gary Ross. Is a decent writer, has worked with Kathleen Kennedy before and made a good fist of Hunger Games. Pleasantville also had a certain Luke/Leia brother/sister supernatural vibe going on

beancounter -> RE: (14/11/2012 10:23:46 AM)

If we're allowed to throw names into the mix, how about Edgar Wright? Just saying... [:D]

Russ Whitfield -> RE: RE: (14/11/2012 12:23:01 PM)

Paul WS Anderson would rock it.

yeah, if I can make myself heard over the sounds of booing and hissing and the thump of falling bodies.

And the gunfire directed at me.

I think he'd do a good job of Star Wars - he's an unabashed sci-fi fan, he's got a proven track record of making money out of a franchise, he promotes gender diversity and we'd probably have something with Mara Jade (or a Jade-alike) if he got his hands on it.

waltham1979 -> RE: RE: (14/11/2012 12:38:02 PM)

I directed a school play which was pretty good 17 years or so ago...but I am busy the next couple of years so I am officially pulling myself out of the running to direct the new Starwars film [:D]

JohnMcClane81 -> How about..... (14/11/2012 1:35:16 PM)

Danny Boyle??

chris wootton -> (14/11/2012 1:44:06 PM)

Although I'm not that excited by an additional trilogy, if I had to choose I'd like to see Brad Bird having a crack at it.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI