Lawrence Of Arabia (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Lawrence Of Arabia (13/11/2012 9:38:01 AM)

Post your comments on this article

andrewgc -> Yawn - Another 'Review' (13/11/2012 9:38:01 AM)

Sorry but reviewing re-releases is dumb. Films which at the time were box office flops and became 'classics' shows how useless most reviewers are. They are afraid to criticise a film. They try to say that the film set a standard. LoA set a standard for looooonnngggg films in which little happens for ages, but if you are watching on a Sunday afternoon on Film4 and go to the loo you miss something.

Lean was a great director but some of his films could do with some sensible editing. And some of the Empire reviewers could do with that too.

licencetokilt -> RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' (15/11/2012 5:15:18 PM)

To be fair, at least Newman mentions the quality of the print, which is specific to this re-release. It's true that most reviews of re-releases rarely challenge the established opinion and their 'classic' status, though if I remember, Fantasia did get a two-star rating back in the early nineties, which was a bit surprising!

As for LoA, I'll be seeing it next week, hopefully with a smuggled thermos of coffee to get me through the near four hour running time! I've never seen a Lean film, something I only just realised, and I've been told this is a good entry-point to his work...

JohnChard -> Eveything that is great about cinema is right here. (16/11/2012 10:11:51 AM)

For sure.

Yawn. Yet another poster moaning about a review because he/she doen't agree with the film's rating by another.  

UWP -> RE: Eveything that is great about cinema is right here. (19/11/2012 2:40:36 PM)

The greatest of all time.

Hood_Man -> RE: Eveything that is great about cinema is right here. (21/11/2012 7:17:15 PM)

I had a feeling something had been done to the picture when I saw it last night, but otherwise it's still an incredible spectacle. I was thrilled that they kept the Overture and the Intermission, it made the evening feel more like a night at the opera than at the cinema.

I can happily tick this one off my list [:)]

I just hope I don't have to wait until 2019 for the 60th Anniversary before I can see Ben Hurr get a similar big screened re-release...

DancingClown -> RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' (21/11/2012 8:48:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: andrewgc

Sorry but reviewing re-releases is dumb. Films which at the time were box office flops and became 'classics' shows how useless most reviewers are. They are afraid to criticise a film. They try to say that the film set a standard. LoA set a standard for looooonnngggg films in which little happens for ages, but if you are watching on a Sunday afternoon on Film4 and go to the loo you miss something.

Lean was a great director but some of his films could do with some sensible editing. And some of the Empire reviewers could do with that too.

What a load of absolute arse.

Deviation -> RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' (21/11/2012 9:52:09 PM)

quote:

I don't think you were watching Lawrence of Arabia.

Whistler -> RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' (26/11/2012 12:03:29 AM)

I'm so disappointed I haven't had the chance to see this on the big screen. Not screening in Edinburgh for some ridiculous reason [&o]

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' (26/11/2012 10:32:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

THIS. Couldn't agree more.

Edit my arse. Sheesh.

dolfinack -> RE: Yawn - Another 'Review' (28/11/2012 3:39:20 PM)

One of my favourite films, spectacular no doubt. But there are sooome little bits of it I'd like to see cut down. It would make an almost perfect film untouchable. Why the hell isn't this being released in Belfast. My four cinemas should hang their heads in shame.

rich -> RE: Lawrence Of Arabia (28/11/2012 6:38:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown
quote:

THIS. Couldn't agree more.

Edit my arse. Sheesh.

You could at least edit the thread title, sheesh [;)]

Anyway, classic stuff along with River Kwai makes for some top lazy afternoon epics from David Lean

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI