Brighton Film Festival 2012 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Awards and Festivals

ElephantBoy -> Brighton Film Festival 2012 (12/11/2012 7:53:47 PM)

The 10th Brighton Film Festival in fact and having just moved to the city I am very excited for this and plan on seeing as many films as possible.

It opens on Thursday with a screening of Martin McDonagh's In Bruges follow-up Seven Psychopaths at the Duke of York's and runs until 2nd December. Other highlights I am looking forward to include Thomas Vinterberg's The Hunt, Hirokazu Kore-EDA's I Wish, thew Wanderer and Brandon Cronenberg's debut Antiviral. There are a number of educational films, shorts and free screenings too.

Is anyone attending if so what are you looking forward too?

elab49 -> RE: Brighton Film Festival 2012 (12/11/2012 7:59:47 PM)

I'd think Hyde Park on Hudson will attract an audience. Ernest and Celestine and Robot and Frank went down well in Leeds. No and War Witch also appear on the audience favourites list. I'd like to see the Maddin on the big screen but my cert would be the Alan Clarke. 

ElephantBoy -> RE: Brighton Film Festival 2012 (13/11/2012 1:54:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'd think Hyde Park on Hudson will attract an audience. Ernest and Celestine and Robot and Frank went down well in Leeds. No and War Witch also appear on the audience favourites list. I'd like to see the Maddin on the big screen but my cert would be the Alan Clarke. 

Oh yeah his Elephant I would like to see that being such a big fan of the Van Saint film just hope I am free on that day.

I guess something like Hyde Park is going to be a fairly big release when its out, so I don't know if its the sort of thing I would see at a festival.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Brighton Film Festival 2012 (22/11/2012 10:40:28 PM)

Just a quick update on what I have seen so far.

Seven psychopath was a how of a blast, a very sharp piss take and deconstruction of hollywood and its films, the plot was so over the top and hard to follow, but that was the point. The cast played of each other fantastically and I can tell had a ball making the film, Farrell and Rockwell made for the perfect oddball pair, with Rockwell stealing the movie, Walken and Harrison add good support and camios from the likes of Harry Dean Station and Tom Waits made it all the more enjoyable. The Duke of York's was rocking that night, free Jameson too, althrough I didn't get any[:'(]

I found War Witch to be very moving, unlike some films which cover simler subject matter it was unsentimental and didn't feel explictive in the way City of God did. The magic realism was effective too given an contrasting feel to the second half of the film. A touch subject matter handled with sensitivty.

Discovering Jeff Keen's work for the first time and seeing his four of his shorts features on the big screen and in 35mm prints added to the experience. Can't say I like all of it, for example Mad Love was very self-indulgent with the highlight being the wonderful music, however just the energy of his work and the ideas made me warm to the films, Meatdaze being my highlight with its emerses nature, and blending of images was beautiful and scary at the same time. His daughter Stella introduced the films.

Hemel is a promising first feature from Sacha Polak with interesting visual moments, a chilling Sci-Fi use of sound and a powerful lead performance from Hannah Hoekstra. It was full of raw idies, but overall felt a bit limiting, a bit like Catherine Breillat but without the emotional depth or wit, still much to like.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI