Chris Boomen -> RE: The Empire Forums Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW! (1/5/2014 4:37:27 PM)
Whether this is still open or not. My 30 names. They could, just as much, been shuffled around another couple times with thin their 10ts, but still.
1. Cosmo Brown - Singin' in the Rain (30pts)
2. The Joker (Heath ledger) - The Dark Knight (29pts)
3. Scar - The Lion King (28pts)
4. Alien - Spring Breakers (27pts)
5. Owen - The Way Way Back (26pts)
6. Alex Delarge - A Clockwork Orange (25pts)
7. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Amadeus (24pts)
8. Anna - Frozen (23pts)
9. Tommy Conlon - Warrior (22pts)
10. Cpt. Jack Sparrow - Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (21pts)
11. Derek Vinyard - American History X (20pts)
12. Charles Chaplin - Chaplin (19pts)
13. V - V for Vendetta (18pts)
14. Forrest Bondurant - Lawless (17pts)
15. Hannibal Lector - Silence of the lambs (16pts)
16. Thor - Thor (15pts)
17. Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) - Sherlock Holmes (14pts)
18. Lt. Aldo Raine - Inglorious Basterds (13pts)
19. Jack Skeleton - The Nightmare Before Christmas (12pts)
20. Hit-Girl - Kick-Ass (11pts)
21. Tony Stark/Iron Man - Iron Man Trilogy (10pts)
22. Dr. King Schultz - Django Unchained (9pts)
23. Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn) - Miracle on 34th Street  (8pts)
24. Gary King - The World's End (7pts)
25. Pat Solitano Jr. - Silver Linings Playbook (6pts)
26. Dory - Finding Nemo (5pts)
27. Batman/Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) - Dark Knight Trilogy (4pts)
28. Maximus - Gladiator (3pts)
29. The Mask - The Mask (2pts)
30. Austin Powers - Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1pt)
The box (Se7en)
Interesting noticings / potential discussion points:
While going through my IMDB list, sorted on imdb rating, to make sure I would not miss a character I noticed something, which may sound obvious but that I had never thought about.
I noticed that my favorite movies consist of an ensemble of great characters, rather than having one really great character. Exceptions exist for outstanding performances, of course. But I figured that I could not name a personal favorite character out of a lot of my favorite movies. While I had no trouble picking the best character out of a movie, which I thougt was average to good. Somewhat more interesting, there were instances where I highly disliked a movie but could immediately think of the character I enjoyed the most. Perhaps not too weird of a point, but something I felt worth noting.
Something else I noticed was that Pixar does not put out particularly strong characters, rather than a really strong ensemble. However, they do keep their ensemble small enough that there is no fatigue in the amount of characters.
My major noticing was, however, something I kind of knew already. Characters are more to be admired for what happens to them than what they do. There are so many characters who I wanted to pick, but that are not per se great characters. We just admire them for what has happened to them. Adam in 50/50 for example, he barely does anything than reacting to his cancer. There are no instances that he says or does something that makes his persona extraordinary. Kind of like why I think Lupita Nyong'O won her oscar.