RE: JC's favouritest ever games (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad

Harry Tuttle -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (29/11/2012 1:51:39 PM)

I like adventure games but not being a fan of The Walking Dead is it worth a try?

I gave up on the comics after the 5th trade, I just wasn't enjoying it. At all. I didn't think much of the first episode of the TV series either so, knowing that I'd given up on the comics, I didn't bother watching any more episodes. With this in mind is it worth me bothering with the game series at all?

Rhubarb -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (29/11/2012 1:58:04 PM)

I'd say yeah. I haven't read the comics, and bailed on the TV show ages ago, but the game is fantastic. As I know you like Mass Effect as well - its got that thing of the choices (though it harshly puts you against the clock, whereas Mass Effect Shep could just stare into the middle distance indefinately while you decided [:D]) and consequences, which is basically what I really liked about it.

jcthefirst -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (29/11/2012 3:53:08 PM)

What Rhub said.

I can remember making choices in the limited time I had and moments later instantly regretting them. It really puts you in the middle of shit creek most of the time, and is easily the most involving game I've played in a long long time.

All five episodes are going to be released on disc soon, if you fancy it.

jcthefirst -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (29/11/2012 3:53:54 PM)

Oh, and the consequences.

Oy, the consequences.

sharkboy -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (29/11/2012 4:05:38 PM)

The disc's out next week I think, and is most definitely worth a handful of your hard-earned pounds.  Like I said in the game's thread, I don't think I've ever been as emotionally involved in a video game, to the extent that some of the games outcomes felt like a kick in the stomach.

Saltire -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (29/11/2012 6:57:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Next up,

LIMBO, XBLA, 2010

[image]http://trulydisturbing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/100706_LimboGame_SummerOfArcade_grid-6x2.jpg[/image]

Games very rarely astound me.

Games very rarely astound me for reasons I cannot explain.

LIMBO astounded me.

I cannot explain why.

No cut scenes, no explanation, no words, no instructions. Just you, an impressively realised black and white world and some of the best sound design Iíve ever witnessed.

You start the game waking up in what looks like a forest, you walk right, you have a lot of different and treacherous terrain to cross and only the environment around you to help you. Or kill you. Youíre looking for your lost sister. Everything else wants to kill you, for reasons unknown.

The joy of LIMBO is that it doesnít ever treat you like an idiot. There are no hints or tips on how to progress; you just have to work it out for yourself using the environment. And if you get stuck, well, just keep trying. The solution is there, youíre just too dumb to see it. The only other game I could compare it to is Portal, which is kind of similar with all the puzzle elements, but at the same time itís nothing like Portal.

Itís very rare a game offers up no definite resolution. Without spoiling anything, Iím still thinking about the end of LIMBO three days after completing it. There are a lot of theories on what the game world of LIMBO actually is, and what actually happened throughout the game, but I was incredibly impressed with the bold ending and its implications when you consider it in the context of the entire game. So, an existentialist game that causes you to think, as well as solving a series of devilishly difficult puzzles.

And it has a giant spider. Aces.

To paraphrase Morpheus, you cannot be told what LIMBO is. You have to play it for yourself.

I've had that sitting around to be played for over a year and still not got round to it - I was late to the Xbox and have been catching up on all the big titles over the last few years. I REALLY need to play this soon! :D

Saltire -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (29/11/2012 6:59:27 PM)

quote:

Circuit Breakers, PSOne, 1998

[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31KVE66C1FL.jpg[/image]

Basically, this game was my Mario Kart. It's basically Micro Machines as well as countless other similar racers. But this one was the first one I remember playing with my mates. 4 players all huddled round a 14 inch TV, screaming at each other. It's one of those go to slow, fall out of the screen and you're dead racers. And by jove, it was fun.

Wipeout 2097, PSOne, 1996

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f7/WipEout2097Cover.jpg/256px-WipEout2097Cover.jpg[/image]

Another Mario Kart-ish game. Thumping soundtrack, ridiculously fast speeds, and some of the hardest computer controlled opponents I've ever encountered. Nothing beat the thrill of slipping past the lead driver by hovring over a speed boost to take the race. I remember still playing this on Halloween 2001, with Muse playing in the background (on my stereo obvs) with fireworks going off all around. It felt like the world was ending. And it was fantastic.

[image]http://www.atpm.com/9.06/images/wipeout-exterior.gif[/image]

Definitely loved the Wipeout games too, I had the sound coming through surround sound on my stereo and my room lighting at the time was spot on for atmosphere in a game like this. It was terrific - Psygnosis you will be missed! [:(]

Saltire -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (29/11/2012 7:05:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

R-Type was great. I had a copy on the Amstrad and I'm convinced the 8-bit home computer version was even harder than the bastard hard arcade version. Probably due to the erratic sprite collision detection. Still, it was bloody brilliant.

Portal 2 is phenomenal both solo and in co-op. Effectively 2 brilliant games for the price of one.

I can't believe R-Type is 25 years old - 25 YEARS OLD!!!!! I used to play that non-stop.

Portal 2 was my game of the year last year, gaming just doesn't get better than that. My only minor gripe with it is WHY DONT THEY RELEASE MORE DLC FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:@]

jcthefirst -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (4/12/2012 1:07:40 PM)

FIFA 98: Road to the World Cup, 1998, PSOne

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9a/FIFA_98_cover.jpg/250px-FIFA_98_cover.jpg[/image]

This was my first 3D Fifa, and as such has a special place in my heart. I remember it was going to be a Christmas present, but I nicked it from under my parent's bed and took it round to a mates to play. From the opening cinematic, with Blur's Song 2 playing no less, I was hooked. It had wee FMV of the country whose stadium you were visiting before each game, had decent enough gameplay for he time (with offsides and everything), you could perform your own celebrations and it had a wee 5 a side mini game that I probably played more than the actual one.

[image]http://www.inthestands.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/fifa-97-indoor-500x375.jpg[/image]

jcthefirst -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (5/12/2012 4:29:05 PM)

Red Dead Redemption, 2010, XBox 360

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a7/Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg/256px-Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg[/image]

BIG SPOILERS TO FOLLOW HERE

As a person who got bored with GTA IV quite quickly, I didn't think I'd make it all the way through Red Dead. Boy, was I wrong. The story really pulLed me through the whole thing, when I could have easily got bored with the whole 'go to person A, then ride to point B and kill person C' which a lot of the missions are.

But first, the techincal bit. Graphically the game is awesome. Riding through certain parts of the map were just breathtaking, with a standout for me being the Tall Trees section of the game as well as the coast of Mexico. And as a lot of time in-game is spent travelling, it was good that there was some lovely scenery to look at too. I'm not really very technically minded, but I think it's suffice to say, the game is pretty.

Anyway, onto the story. It's pretty basic on the surface, John Marston's wife and son are being held against their will and will only be freed if John helps the government track down and kill his old gang buddies. See, John's all good now, and his old friends...not so much. The missions in between these are ranging in quality; for example, the West Dickens missions were beyond dull, but the Landon Ricketts ones were great.

But after playing as John Marston for at least 15 hours, when you finally get to the point of getting back to your family, it really does hit you emotionally. I don't think I've ever been so emotionally engaged by a game as I was with this one. But the game wasn't done with me yet. I figured once I'd got back to my family it would be game over. Not to be the case; I started doing farming missions with my son. 'Ok' thinks I 'we're doing some winding down missions to show I have a good life. Fair enough." We do some hunting missions, "Ok, we're forming a bond here between father and son. All well and good."

I had a feeling something bad was round the corner.

It was.

But the game took a turn I was not expecting. I thought that Edgar Ross and the government types would eventually betray me. However, I expected John to get out of it somehow. That he didn't, was a real sucker punch. That he got murdered by the people he'd been forced to help was just pure evil.

You know how I said I was emotionally engaged in the game? Well, I hated Edgar Ross now. And I mean hated.

So, after John is killed, you take on the role as his son, Jack, for the rest of the game. And killing Edgar Ross when you finally meet him was one of the most satisfying and strangely cathartic moments I have ever been witness to. Perfect ending to the game, all capped off with the freeze frame and title card. RED DEAD REDEMPTION. Awesome.

And during the credits, I have to admit, I once again got a little emotional with the choice of music Rockstar had selected. Which brings me to my next point; the soundtrack. In game score was terrific. Not constant music but only used where needed for dramatic effect, and some of the licensed songs used really did evoke feelings that I have never felt before playing a game. Case and point, your first arrival in Mexico, and the song that plays as you ride to your destination is one of the finest moments in gaming I have ever experienced.

I doff my Stetson to you, Rockstar. Very well played.

Multiplayer was full of dickheads though.

Peter Griffin -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (5/12/2012 4:47:45 PM)

quote:

Most multiplayer games are.
Nice review.

Saltire -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (6/12/2012 1:52:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

quote:

Nice review.

Yeah I'm too old to play multiplayer games now, especially when you end up getting some pretentious 13-year-old kid who thinks they know it all playing on your server. Don't mind Co-op on games however, but have to be on the same wavelength as my partner.

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (6/12/2012 8:47:47 AM)

quote:

This

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

quote:

And so much of this. I can barely stand online multiplayer in general but I got abusive messages from Red Dead players for no reason.

But yeah great review jc, much better then mine [:D]

jcthefirst -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (24/4/2013 4:11:56 PM)

Star Wars Battlefront II, Xbox, 2005

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/StarWarsBattlefront2_PC.jpg[/image]

While the first game was enjoyable, it was the sequel where they really perfected the formula. Bigger maps, space combat and a fun Risk like game called Galactic Conquest, all came together to provide the best Star Wars game of the generation. Coming out on the same date as RotS was released on DVD probably helped, as I was still pretty Star Wars mad at the time, but running around as a snow trooper on the frozen wastes of Hoth as an AT-AT takes out snowspeeders was pretty darn sweet.

AxlReznor -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (24/4/2013 4:15:26 PM)

Red Dead Redemption is one of my favourite games ever, and Star Wars Battlefront II is fun, if samey. But other than that I've not played a single one of these games. [:D]

jcthefirst -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (24/4/2013 4:19:11 PM)

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, XBox, 2005

[image]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/Tom_Clancy%27s_Splinter_Cell_-_Chaos_Theory_Coverart.png[/image]

I love playing as Sam Fisher. Stealth games are probably my favourite type of game. Sure, running in all guns blazing is fun, but timing runs, hiding in shadows, shooting out lightbulbs, hiding bodies and using a wide variety of gadgets to complete your mission without ever being seen is rewarding. Chaos Theory was, and remains, the best of all the Splinter Cell games (though I love them all), and had an equally brilliant co-op campaign as well. I still remember a perfectly executed move between me and my uni housemate, our Xboxes connected with a system link cable, that resulted in a 100% mission completion and it's up there in my proudest gaming moments.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (24/4/2013 4:22:27 PM)

Battlefront and it's sequel are great. Along with PES 5 and Rainbow Six 3 they're the games I played online the most on the original X-Box. It seems mental to me that there hasn't been a version released for the 360 seeing as it's a much more online focussed console than the original X-Box was.

I've never really got on with the Splinter Cell series, the last one released was my favourite of the ones I played. Probably because there was far less focus on absolute stealth eg. having to hide corpses and shit.

AxlReznor -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (24/4/2013 4:25:04 PM)

quote:

Battlefront and it's sequel are great. Along with PES†5 and Rainbow Six 3 they're the games I played online the most on the original X-Box. It seems mental to me that there hasn't been a version released for the 360 seeing as it's a much more online focussed console than the original X-Box was.

I seem to remember the team responsible for the Battlefront games were shut down, and their last act was to reveal footage of the in-development Battlefront III which was to be for PS3 and Xbox 360. Sadly, LucasArts scrapped it completely instead of giving development over to another team.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (24/4/2013 4:28:53 PM)

Yeah it's a shame Pandemic were shut down although they did get a bite at the cherry this generation with the sequel to Mercenaries and the rather spiffing The Saboteur. Battlefront III should have been among the first or second wave of titles though. EA and Lucasarts dropped the ball somewhat there.

jcthefirst -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (24/4/2013 4:31:48 PM)

For me, it was the last great Star Wars game.

The Force Unleashed can do one.

AxlReznor -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (24/4/2013 4:34:42 PM)

The Force Unleashed was fun. Just not the grand achievement in physics that it was advertised as.
The Force Unleashed II, however...

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (24/4/2013 5:00:28 PM)

quote:

Battlefront and it's sequel are great. Along with PES†5 and Rainbow Six 3 they're the games I played online the most on the original X-Box. It seems mental to me that there hasn't been a version released for the 360 seeing as it's a much more online focussed console than the original X-Box was.

I've never really got on with the Splinter Cell series, the last one released was my favourite of the ones I played. Probably because there was far less focus on absolute stealth eg. having to hide corpses and shit.

I still maintain that PES 5 and 6 were/are the best footie games created.

Also,the Wipeout games were class.Great designs,great music,atmosphere and just generally really really fun.

jcthefirst -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (17/7/2013 1:03:35 PM)

Dead Space, Xbox 360, 2008

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0jnCTrQUkXI/S8v05vHBQVI/AAAAAAAAAFY/7Sgui8yulX8/s320/12+Cut+off+their+limbs.jpg[/image]

I've only recently played this now trilogy of games and, for me, it's probably the finest trilogy of this generation. The first game is the best in the series for me though; isolated on the floating graveyard of the Ishimura, all alone while horrible beasties are constantly trying to eat your face, being on edge the whole goddamn time. Superb visuals, unparrelled sound design that has you constantly shitting yourself, monsters that came from someone's twisted imagination, an innovative dismemberment mechanic and a pretty involving story to boot.

In space, no one can hear you scream. In my house, my wife heard me screaming a lot.

Cue Clowny in 3, 2, 1...

clownfoot -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (17/7/2013 8:35:43 PM)

quote:

Cue Clowny in 3, 2, 1...

...uhm... it's a pretty good spiritual successor to System Shock 2, but it's no System Shock 2! [:D]

TrendMeUp -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (17/7/2013 11:28:48 PM)

What a cool, diverse list! Really enjoying reading it.

I adored and hated Castle of Illusion as a kid. It was just too hard for my child's brain.

Die Hard trilogy! Forgot that game even existed. I always remember running people down and watching the windscreen wipers wash the blood with a morbid enthusiasm (I was about 11..gimme a break)

Red Dead and Walking Dead are both such magnificent games. My friend who games even more avidly than I do didn't think much to The Walking Dead because he feels there's hardly any actual gameplay. I personally love those games that blur the lines between games and cinema and Walking Dead made you care so much about every action you took and word you said.

Only played a little bit of Portal 2 with my friend but it was cracking, the opposite of The Walking Dead really. Pure gameplay joy.

Deviation -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (18/7/2013 4:05:12 PM)

I just want to say that Amon Tobin is amazing nothing else (the rest is great too, should have ended the Spliter Cell series right there).

jcthefirst -> RE: JC's favouritest ever games (18/7/2013 4:20:06 PM)

Burnout 3: Takedown, Xbox, 2004

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Burnout_3_-_Takedown_Coverart.jpg[/image]

Simply, an incredibly fast racer where the aim was to completely obliterate your opponent first, and if you won the race that was just a bonus. One of the finest arcade racers I've ever played. Rewarding drivers with speed boost for driving dangerously, say by driving into oncoming traffic, drifting round corners, and of course smashing your opponents to pieces, it's face melting speed and sheer fun means it makes my list.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI