Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Awards and Festivals

elab49 -> Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (11/11/2012 5:39:11 PM)

Possibly a little early but the multi-film tickets are now on sale. Of particular note is the 20 film pass - the programme will come out early to those who purchase this so they can book all their films before the public release of the programme on the 17th of January. And 90 for 20 films is a bit of a bargain.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (22/11/2012 1:24:26 PM)

A couple of the strands have been announced. Brazilian film could be interesting but, drum roll, a James Cagney retrospective. I may need to buy another 20 ticket pass!

Also stuff on costume in film which I'm sure will interest some.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (11/12/2012 1:50:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Possibly a little early but the multi-film tickets are now on sale. Of particular note is the 20 film pass - the programme will come out early to those who purchase this so they can book all their films before the public release of the programme on the 17th of January. And 90 for 20 films is a bit of a bargain.

90 quid for 20 films? Yeah, I might have some of of that!

Never been to the GFF before but with my current commitments regarding higher education getting ever so closer to a final resolution, I'm hoping to break my duck in 2013. [:)]

If you went for that, does that mean you end up having a kind of credit to use up when the programmes released? Or do you get advance notice of the line-up or something?

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (11/12/2012 6:51:54 AM)

You do. On the MOnday you get sent the programme and you e-mail them your choices by Wednesday (they take a record of you and your e-mail when you buy the ticket - which is actually a voucher).

The day after that - the Thursday (Jan 17th) - the programme goes on general release.

I think it's a brilliant idea - so much better than London because this is ticket specific that gets advance notification so anyone going to the festival has the option to do it if they choose. Well, on a first come first served basis - I have vouchers 4 and 5!

Scruffybobby -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (9/1/2013 6:50:18 PM)

Will keep an look out for the programme. The GFF has in a lot of ways been more promising than Edinburgh in the last few years. May well look into a wee trip through to Weegieland.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (9/1/2013 6:55:49 PM)

Can't wait till we get the preview on Monday to buy our tickets. I'm surprisingly excited about it - particularly the advance part. 

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (16/1/2013 12:37:16 PM)

*doublechecks logged into Glasgow Film website so all is prepared for sniping ticket purchases*

The press for the new programme is tonight at 7pm and it goes live at midnight. I think that's when tickets go on sale as that has been the case in previous years (although the site groans a bit at the first onslaught). Having seen it, I think the festival will, again, see tickets sales records being broken.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (16/1/2013 7:05:13 PM)

Stoker; The Place Beyond the Pines; Byzantium; Mama; Welcome to the Punch are all there.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (16/1/2013 7:08:27 PM)

Have they been released? I know the press thing was at 7pm, but that's quick!

I've got tickets for all of them but Place Beyond the Pines - it clashed with two other one-offs and as it's out a few weeks later we left it. It would have been amusing teasing MC et al though [:D]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (16/1/2013 7:09:12 PM)

First UK screening of Cloud Atlas

Closing movie is Joss Whedons Much Ado About Nothing...

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (16/1/2013 7:10:22 PM)

The info is out there....maybe not public yet (strictly speaking)

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (16/1/2013 7:10:52 PM)

Only think I can find is the Guardian which has been removed 'cos of the embargo

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (16/1/2013 7:11:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The info is out there....maybe not public yet (strictly speaking)

Well it was given to the advance ticket purchasers, but they promised not to make it public.Which is why I didn't post the films before.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (16/1/2013 7:14:51 PM)

Ah, found it I think - is it the 'reporter' tweeting from the press launch? 

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (16/1/2013 7:15:28 PM)

quote:

I retweeted one of the announcements if that helps....

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (16/1/2013 7:16:01 PM)

New Michael Winterbottom showing at Glasgow.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (16/1/2013 7:26:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

I retweeted one of the announcements if that helps....

I checked the gff13 hastag and almost immediately you'd retweeted it [:)]

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (17/1/2013 12:24:08 AM)

Programme now up.

I'm a bit confused about one thing. I was told the 20 Ticket advance couldn't be used for the Opening or Closing Gala. I was on that site the minute, within seconds, of it going up to be bought (refreshing till it appeared) and everything below the centre aisle in GFT 1 has been taken. So where did all the tickets go? It's a heck of a lot for VIPs, and not nearly as many were taken out of sale for last years Closing Gala. I wouldn't notice with most cinemas but I find GFT1 pretty uncomfortable so tend to sit in the few seats that are OK. None of them above the aisle! [:D] On a positive though, the Tall Ship tickets are included in the Internet Saver option which is nice.

Particularly looking forward to the Cagney Strand - the only ticket we couldn't get was because it would mean a 5 minute sprint from the GFT to Cineworld and we've timed it before and it isn't happening. Place Beyond the Pines was ruled out as well but that's out April anyway.

We'll hopefully make it to

- John Dies at the End again. Loved it in Leeds, looking forward to the rewatch.
- Byzantium to see if Jordan can make a better vampire film, even if it does have Arterton in it, whose 15 minutes looks to be coming to an end
- Love is All You Need the new Suzanne Bier/Anders Thomas Jensen. I'm a big fan of the writer, love the films they do together, and this looks like it might be the only light-hearted film in the programme!
- Heaven's Gate - not my choice
- Sunset Boulevard - definitely my choice
- The Thieves - South Korean blockbuster
- Beyond the Hills - the new Mungiu

and lots of others I know little about but the programme makes them sound really interesting.

One of the most interesting inclusions I won't see, and I'm not sure how many will. There's a fascinating Norwegian TV series called Hellfjord, called a cross between Hot Fuzz and Twin Peaks. 7 half hour episodes, they're showing one each before the 5 Frightfest films and the final two as a showing themselves. They're on youtube but without subs.

Fitting that the first major festival this year includes a Dr Who celebration and teases a cast member as a guest. There's also a Game of Thrones evening.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (17/1/2013 6:30:54 PM)

Just heard about Much Ado.. being on. Checked the site and it's already sold out.[:(]

Would have loved to see that, especially if the Joss man made an appearance.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (17/1/2013 7:54:54 PM)

Looks like a remarkably high percentage of seats went to corporate, so not a surprise sadly. 

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (20/1/2013 7:27:50 PM)

I've been digesting the programme the last few days. There's quite a lot of things I'm interested in, but unfortunately they're all fairly spread out over the festival run. Due to work, finances & friends availability it would probably be best to only do a day so to speak, but it's a bit of a head-scratcher over which one to choose. Trying to get the right balance between seeing prestigious stuff & things which probably wont be distributed at all.

Out of interest Elab, from your experience of attending in the past - on average does the director of a film being shown make an appearance? Or does it tend to be just the screening of the film and the director Q&As are left to the very small British or international features? Obviously I wouldn't expect the likes of Twyker & Wachowskis to turn up for Cloud Atlas, but there are quite a few things I'd be interested in seeing - especially if the respected film-maker was also in attendance.

For example, if Cristian Mungiu, Chan-wook Park, Michael Winterbottom or Derek Cianfrance were to be there, I'd probably make the trip to Glasgow for their efforts alone.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (20/1/2013 7:37:44 PM)

I've not seen many for the films I've attended. Last year Tavernier was there so it might be worth checking the old prog to see if that was announced. I think they mostly do announce in advance though, but sometimes nearer the time. I wouldn't expect Park as it'll be in Rotterdam a couple of weeks before so I'm not sure 1st UK will be big enough. I guess people are hoping for Whedon, but Kaurismaki didn't turn up for Le Havre last year (even if the idiot on the BBC site wrote the story as if she did and hasn't been clever enough to take it down yet [8|]).

As the Festival gets bigger though more visits might happen I guess.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (24/1/2013 9:22:12 AM)

Has anyone been to the Surprise film before (here or elsewhere I guess) and how common/easy is it to leave if you don't want to see the film (I've just had a thought of a possibility I've no intention of sitting through).

Best to wait till lights out?

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (25/1/2013 3:58:23 AM)

quote:

Has anyone been to the Surprise film before (here or elsewhere I guess) and how common/easy is it to leave if you don't want to see the film (I've just had a thought of a possibility I've no intention of sitting through).

Best to wait till lights out?

Isn't not knowing part of the fun though?

If you're worrying about what will show, probably best you don't go. [:)]

Scruffybobby I'm sure has gone to ones at the EIFF, but how relevant that is to Glasgow I've no idea.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (25/1/2013 11:40:05 AM)

But you do know when the film starts. I'll sit through most - but if Before Midnight turns up it can go feck itself. Which means leaving [:D]

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (30/1/2013 10:46:55 AM)

So, as it turns out, Joss Whedon will be coming to the festival for Much Ado About Nothing.

Even if they didn't announce it before, I'm no longer surprised at how many tickets were handed out to VIPs etc before the general public got a look in. ie a lot. I'm not massively surprised it sold out so quickly when they removed so many seats from the pot.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (8/2/2013 10:50:44 AM)

Looks like there is a new screening of Much Ado About Nothing on the 24th. Frankly I'd rather swap my GFT finale ones for one at Cineworld. I'm very tempted.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (25/2/2013 11:13:51 PM)

Festival Awards 2013

Best 'old' film - Angels With Dirty Faces
Best Animation - Wolf Children
Best Documentary - The Gatekeepers (granted I only saw one, but it as a good 'un)
Top 3 'new' films - Caesar Must Die, Stoker, Much Ado About Nothing. Honourable Mention - The Thieves
Funniest Film - Much Ado About Nothing
Best Action - The Thieves - Honourable Mention - Welcome to the Punch
Best Cinematography - The Fifth Season/Stoker
Revelation - Passion of Joan of Arc
Biggest Disappointment - Beyond the Hills (Mungiu)
Worst Film - Arbitrage

Best Male Performances - Cagney (Angels with Dirty Faces. White Heat, One Two Three), Salvatore Striano (Caesar Must Die). Luis Tosar (Sleep Tight). Kim Yun-Seok (The Thieves) Pearce Brosnan (Love is All You Need) James McAvoy/Mark Strong (Welcome to the Punch) Alexis Denisof (Much Ado About Nothing) Matthew Goode (Stoker)

Best Female Performances - Mia Wasikoska (Stoker), Maria Falconette (Passion of Joan of Arc) Deborah Francois (Populaire) Amy Acker (Much Ado About Nothing) Claudia Ohana (Prime Time Soap) Virgina Mayo/Margaret Wycherley (White Heat) Arlene Francis (One, Two, Three) Trine Dyrholm (Love is All You Need)

Best Support Performances - Clark Gregg/Reed Diamond (Much Ado About Nothing), Frank McHugh (Roaring Twenties) Johnny Harris/Peter Mullan (Welcome to the Punch) Vanessa Giacamo (Prime Time Soap) Hans Lothar (One, Two, Three) Gianna Jun (The Thieves) Paul Giamatti/Glynn Turman (John Dies at the End)

Best Animal Performance - Bark Lee (John Dies at the End) . Runners up - Pepe/Fred the cockerels (Blancanieves/The Fifth Season respectively)

Bravest moment - Red Buttons doing Cagney to Cagney (One, Two, Three)
The 'phew' award - after two years of early film screw-ups (no subs for Incendies, audio mess-up for On the Ice) everything went very smoothly apart from a couple of Cagney gaps and Sunset Boulevard being out of sync.
Oddest trend - people turning up late for the film - a LOT of people. Do they all now expect hours of ads and missed this was a festival?

A brilliant festival this year. So many packed houses, and none of the rubbish we normally get at the cinema these days. Can't wait till next year.

elab49 -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (25/2/2013 11:19:32 PM)

Anyone know what it is with cockerels at the moment? Seems weird to have two with similarish  story arcsin the same film festival - one Spanish film, one Belgian.

MOTH -> RE: Glasgow Film Festival 2013 (27/2/2013 8:53:57 AM)

quote:

Festival Awards 2013

Best 'old' film - Angels With Dirty Faces
Best Animation - Wolf Children
Best Documentary - The Gatekeepers (granted I only saw one, but it as a good 'un)
Top 3 'new' films - Caesar Must Die, Stoker, Much Ado About Nothing. Honourable Mention - The Thieves
Funniest Film - Much Ado About Nothing
Best Action - The Thieves - Honourable Mention - Welcome to the Punch
Best Cinematography - The Fifth Season/Stoker
Revelation - Passion of Joan of Arc
Biggest Disappointment - Beyond the Hills (Mungiu)
Worst Film - Arbitrage

Best Male Performances - Cagney (Angels with Dirty Faces. White Heat, One Two Three), Salvatore Striano (Caesar Must Die). Luis Tosar (Sleep Tight). Kim Yun-Seok (The Thieves) Pearce Brosnan (Love is All You Need) James McAvoy/Mark Strong (Welcome to the Punch) Alexis Denisof (Much Ado About Nothing) Matthew Goode (Stoker)

Best Female Performances - Mia Wasikoska (Stoker), Maria Falconette (Passion of Joan of Arc) Deborah Francois (Populaire) Amy Acker (Much Ado About Nothing) Claudia Ohana (Prime Time Soap) Virgina Mayo/Margaret Wycherley (White Heat) Arlene Francis (One, Two, Three) Trine Dyrholm (Love is All You Need)

Best Support Performances - Clark Gregg/Reed Diamond (Much Ado About Nothing), Frank McHugh (Roaring Twenties) Johnny Harris/Peter Mullan (Welcome to the Punch) Vanessa Giacamo (Prime Time Soap) Hans Lothar (One, Two, Three) Gianna Jun (The Thieves) Paul Giamatti/Glynn Turman (John Dies at the End)

Best Animal Performance - Bark Lee (John Dies at the End) . Runners up - Pepe/Fred the cockerels (Blancanieves/The Fifth Season respectively)

Bravest moment - Red Buttons doing Cagney to Cagney (One, Two, Three)
The 'phew' award - after two years of early film screw-ups (no subs for Incendies, audio mess-up for On the Ice) everything went very smoothly apart from a couple of Cagney gaps and Sunset Boulevard being out of sync.
Oddest trend - people turning up late for the film - a LOT of people. Do they all now expect hours of ads and missed this was a festival?

A brilliant festival this year. So many packed houses, and none of the rubbish we normally get at the cinema these days. Can't wait till next year.

Much appreciated! The 'To Watch' List is duly updated. One day I'll get my shit together and do something like this for the Belfast Film Festival.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI