Great Quotes About Film (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

homersimpson_esq -> Great Quotes About Film (11/11/2012 5:19:33 PM)

"I always say that film is closest to music, not literature or theatre. For me, if a film hasn't the feeling of music, it's not successful. A film lives by its rhythms; like music, it's a bit like an arrow passing through time. It begins its journey at a particular moment and ends at another, and between those two points is a route which has to be carefully directed. That structure is rhythmic; if we don't find the right rhythm to tell a story, it could be the best story in the world, but it won't work."

Michael Haneke, in this month's Sight & Sound

rawlinson -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (11/11/2012 5:27:20 PM)

"Most directors make films with their eyes; I make films with my testicles."

- Alejandro Jodorowsky

Whistler -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (11/11/2012 11:23:12 PM)

“I’m often asked by younger filmmakers, ‘Why do I need to look at old movies?’ I’ve made a number of pictures in the last 20 years and the response I have to give them is that I still consider myself a student. The more pictures I’ve made in 20 years, the more I realize I really don’t know. And I’m always looking for something or someone that I could learn from. I tell the younger filmmakers, and the young students, that do it like painters used to do—that painters do—study the old masters, enrich your palette, expand the canvas. There’s always so much more to learn.”
- Martin Scorsese

"Sure, Kill Bill's a violent movie. But it's a Tarantino movie. You don't go to see Metallica and ask the f**kers to turn the music down."
- Quentin Tarantino

chris kilby -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (12/11/2012 12:28:54 AM)

"Nobody knows anything."

(William Goldman)

Coyleone -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (12/11/2012 1:05:16 AM)

Love that Tarantino one Whistler posted.

"To me style is just the outside of content, and content the inside of style, like the outside and the inside of the human body - both go together, they can't be separated." - Jean-Luc Godard

BudBaxter -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (12/11/2012 11:48:35 AM)

"There are few movies that wouldn't be improved by cutting 20 minutes and adding an exploding helicopter shot"

Roger Corman

paul_lfc -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (12/11/2012 12:39:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

"There are few movies that wouldn't be improved by cutting 20 minutes and adding an exploding helicopter shot"

Roger Corman

I could think of quite a lot....

SwozTheRevenge -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (12/11/2012 12:42:49 PM)

"To me, bad taste is what entertainment is all about. If someone vomits while watching one of my films, it's like getting a standing ovation."
- John Waters

DancingClown -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (12/11/2012 1:19:42 PM)

"Blondes make the best victims. They're like virgin snow that shows up the bloody footprints."

Hitch.

sanchia -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (12/11/2012 1:49:10 PM)

“Film lovers are sick people.” François Truffaut [:D]

Shifty Bench -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (12/11/2012 6:14:38 PM)

“The art of film can only really exist through a highly organized betrayal of reality.” -François Truffaut

“Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out” - Martin Scorsese

and one of my personal faves-

“A director must be a policeman, a midwife, a psychoanalyst, a sycophant and a bastard.” - Billy Wilder

sanchia -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (12/11/2012 11:02:06 PM)

Billy Wilder is always good for a quote:

"Happiness is working with Jack Lemmon."

"Shoot a few scenes out of focus. I want to win the foreign film award."

"An actor entering through the door, you've got nothing. But if he enters through the window, you've got a situation."

adambatman82 -> RE: Great Quotes About Film (13/11/2012 12:44:01 AM)

"Anything you build on a large scale or with intense passion invites chaos." Francis Ford Coppola

"Cinema is the most beautiful fraud in the world." Jean-Luc Godard

"Is the cinema more important than life?" Francois Truffaut

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI