RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films

SwozTheRevenge -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 1:55:31 PM)

If they're continuing down the Skywalker route, then VII is already written in the form of Dark Empire.
David Lynch turned down directing ROTJ, I'd love him to have a crack at DE.

EDIT - Although, saying that, all the IV-VI actors are all 112 years old now so fuck that idea then.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 2:18:07 PM)

Please everyone stop talking about EU. It is not going to be based on EU. For one thing Lucas wrote the treatments and he has no clue who Thrawn or Mara Jade are.

The Hooded Man -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 2:22:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Please everyone stop talking about EU. It is not going to be based on EU. For one thing Lucas wrote the treatments and he has no clue who Thrawn or Mara Jade are.

I'd wager that he does have a clue about who Thrawn and Mara Jade are given that Timothy Zahn's trilogy was the very first part of the EU officially. Lucas is on record as praising the Dark Empire series of comics, saying it's the closest anyone's come to his idea of the third trilogy but then look at the difference between early drafts of A New Hope and the finished film, all bets are off basically. Zahn also came up with the name Coruscant in Heir To The Empire.

Drew_231 -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 2:28:18 PM)

Thanks to the prequels the Jedi are now boring as all hell

How about a story based around the Mandalorian Wars?

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 2:28:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

quote:

I'd wager that he does have a clue about who Thrawn and Mara Jade are given that Timothy Zahn's trilogy was the very first part of the EU officially. Lucas is on record as praising the Dark Empire series of comics, saying it's the closest anyone's come to his idea of the third trilogy but then look at the difference between early drafts of A New Hope and the finished film, all bets are off basically.

The Thrawn books had a pretty different account of the Clone Wars in them compared to the movies for instance. One example where he did bow to EU was in naming the planet Coruscant.

I think we honestly need to shake out all the EU stuff that has been done. No one will be coming onto this project to adapt stories from someone else who played in the park for a while.

vad3r -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 2:33:18 PM)

I don't know what the hell a Thrawn or Mara Jade is and I'm a SW fan. The new film will not have a bunch of characters only the hardcore have heard of. We'll see all the iconic characters of the past, back in one film. Jedi vs Sith, that's Star Wars.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 2:37:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drew_231

I really miss the flying around and fighting in star fighters - can we have that again?

fuzzy -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 2:41:48 PM)

If Lucas is staying on as 'Creative Consultant', which was always a given really, you could probably bet that any EU stuff won't see the light of day. I'm sure he's always said that although he gave people licence to write books, comics etc. they're not his stories so doesn't want anything to do with them. If they did go down the route of Skywalker offspring though (a likely scenario) - it would obviously clash with EU stuff, but I can't see ol' George caring about that. 

I'm thinking they'd be set a couple of decades in the future, but still have familiarity through stuff like Jedi's, planets and spaceships. IMO they couldn't resist keeping the main constant throughout the saga - Threepio and Artoo. They'd probably look to shoehorn in cameos by the likes of Luke, Leia and Lando too, played by the original actors obviously - what's the point otherwise.

I just hope they get people on board who want to make a 'Star Wars' film, and understand what made the original trilogy so loved - and the prequels not so much. Lucas stepping back from writing and directing duties will hopefully enable this to happen. Most people think that Disney is just there for the profits, but so far the Pixar and Marvel franchises have continued to be well made films, full of heart and (something distinctly lacking from the prequels) humour.

Drew_231 -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 2:42:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

I really miss the flying around and fighting in star fighters - can we have that again?

Yea, I just want something fun actually

Here's an amusing bit of randomness for everyone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lykiNYpq5AI&feature=youtu.be

vad3r -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 2:51:03 PM)

quote:

quote:

Nope. No studio is going to spend a billion dollars for that. If you have characters like Darth Vader, Jedi's, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Yoda and lightsabers. You use them.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 2:53:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

quote:

quote:

Nope. No studio is going to spend a billion dollars for that. If you have characters like Darth Vader, Jedi's, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Yoda and lightsabers. You use them.

Darth Vader is dead.

So is Yoda.

vad3r -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 3:01:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

Darth Vader is dead.

So is Yoda.

Dead in a Disney sci-fi fantasy reboot, does not = Dead.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 3:06:00 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

Darth Vader is dead.

So is Yoda.

Who says it's a reboot? Nobody but you thus far. Once I see it referred to as Episode IV vol 2 and not Episode VII from an official channel then fair enough. Until then stop posting as if you have some kind of authority on the mattter because you don't. Reportedly the films are going to be based on treatments by Lucas for episodes 7, 8 and 9. 7 comes after 6 so I'm really not sure where you get the notion of a reboot from.

Drew_231 -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 3:10:34 PM)

Does anybody really want to see either the old actors returning to their role (seriously, Hamill has a face for voice acting), or the roles recast?

I know everybody loves Nathan Fillion, but Harrison Ford is Han Solo. Lets leave it at that.

New characters, new story, same thrills as the first three

horribleives -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 3:10:53 PM)

Yeah, I'm not sure where vad3r gets this idea it's a re-make from. Assuming he actually does think it's a remake.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 3:15:55 PM)

quote:

Does anybody really want to see either the old actors returning to their role (seriously, Hamill has a face for voice acting), or the roles recast?

I know everybody loves Nathan Fillion, but Harrison Ford is Han Solo. Lets leave it at that.

New characters, new story, same thrills as the first three

The problem is that if you have Hamill and Ford you would need Fisher...and well...

Drew_231 -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 3:18:43 PM)

quote:

The problem is that if you have Hamill and Ford you would need Fisher...and well...

Shatner summed it up best actually
https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/263386003547500544

horribleives -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 3:22:33 PM)

quote:

She still wouldn't look quite as ridiculous as that flattened hamster on his bonce.

vad3r -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 3:22:52 PM)

I think we can safely predict we won't see Hamill back as Luke or Fisher as Princess Leia. Nor will we have characters no one has heard of, and completely ignore the wealth of iconic, marketable characters the franchise has.
Therefore, the only logical conclusion is we'll see all our favourites back, re-cast, for a new adventure.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 3:25:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

She still wouldn't look quite as ridiculous as that flattened hamster on his bonce.

I didn't really mean that comment to be about her looks - Fisher (apart from some fun cameos now and again) hasn't really been doing much acting. Not sure she would actually want to go back to Wars.

Drew_231 -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 3:31:48 PM)

Going back to the point about having a bigger threat, is that really necessary, for the first film at least

Would it not be better to tell a smaller story, that can slowly escalate

The Universe is huge, we don't need to keep the focus on a single family and their two droids

Bad Ash -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 3:54:54 PM)

It'll be old characters re-cast in a totally new story (away from the EU). It's a difficult one to re-cast though, especially Han Solo. But let's face it - I don't think there will be any shortage of A list actors banging on Disney's door for these parts!

I'm jumping on the Fillion for Solo bandwagon I'm afraid, although he'll never get it! It'll probably be someone like Ryan Reynolds instead!

vad3r -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 4:10:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bad Ash

It'll be old characters re-cast in a totally new story (away from the EU).

Yes, exactly what I've been saying.

quote:

t's a difficult one to re-cast though, especially Han Solo. But let's face it - I don't think there will be any shortage of A list actors banging on Disney's door for these parts!

??

Han Solo is the easiest casting decision ever. Nathan Fillion could play the role in his sleep.

The rest are just as easy to cast:

Director/Writer - Whedon

Luke Skywalker - Zac Efron/Paul Dano/Michael Cera
Anakin Skywalker - Aaron Paul
Han Solo - Nathan Fillion
Princess Leia - Alison Brie
Padme - Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Obi-Wan - Kenneth Branagh
Mace Windu - Michael Jai White
Lando Calrissian - Don Cheadle/Idris Elba
C-3PO - Simon Pegg
Darth Vader (voice) - Laurence Fishburne
Darth Maul - Scott Adkins
Count Dooku - Donald Sutherland
Palpatine - Anthony Hopkins

Job done. Roll on 2015. [sm=fighting03.gif]

jcthefirst -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 4:19:51 PM)

Why are you casting charatcers that are already dead?

Can't see those loved characters being recast anyway. New cast, new characters, set in the SW universe. It's the brand that sells, not the characters.

danbo1138 -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 4:23:41 PM)

Spielberg to direct please. Luke either turning to the dark side or Luke having to stop Hans kid who's gone nuts are my guesses.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 4:23:42 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bad Ash

It'll be old characters re-cast in a totally new story (away from the EU).

Yes, exactly what I've been saying.

Nope, what you've been saying is :-

quote:

quote:

Director/Writer - Whedon

Luke Skywalker - Zac Efron/Paul Dano/Michael Cera
Anakin Skywalker - Aaron Paul
Han Solo - Nathan Fillion
Princess Leia - Alison Brie
Padme - Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Obi-Wan - Kenneth Branagh
Mace Windu - Michael Jai White
Lando Calrissian - Don Cheadle/Idris Elba
C-3PO - Simon Pegg
Darth Vader (voice) - Laurence Fishburne
Darth Maul - Scott Adkins
Count Dooku - Donald Sutherland
Palpatine - Anthony Hopkins

Job done. Roll on 2015. [sm=fighting03.gif]

Your cast list confirms it. Mace Windu, Obi-Wan, Anakin Skywalker, Padme, Darth Vader, Darth Maul and Palpatine are all dead and could only be brought back in a reboot. If they do recast the characters we know and love then I wager it'll still be set after Episode VI and therefore not a reboot. I say I'd wager, what I mean by that is I'm absofuckinglutely certain of it because y'know Episode 7 is what they've actually announced.

vad3r -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 4:33:18 PM)

There's no way in hell that we won't see Darth Vader in 2015. He's the most iconic figure in cinema. Everyone regardless of whether they know what a Star Wars is, recognises that character.

directorscut -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 4:40:03 PM)

quote:

There's no way in hell that we won't see Darth Vader in 2015. He's the most iconic figure in cinema. Everyone regardless of whether they know what a Star Wars is, recognises that character.

He's dead, Jim.

Just like Nathan Fillion's film career.

garvielloken -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 4:41:48 PM)

This is how chronology works - Episode 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 (Darth Vader dies) Episode 7. How can he be in episode 7 if he dies in episode 6? Only through flashback scenes or the ghost of Anakin appearing can change that.

vad3r -> RE: Star Wars: Episode 7 (31/10/2012 4:42:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Why are you casting charatcers that are already dead?

Dead says who? It's a Disney sci-fi fantasy, not an ITV period drama. They could just ignore the fact that they died, I'd have no problem with that. Wipe the slate clean and start over.

quote:

Can't see those loved characters being recast anyway. New cast, new characters, set in the SW universe. It's the brand that sells, not the characters.

New cast? Absolutely. New characters? Will never happen. This is a billion dollar venture and audiences will expect to see their favourites. It's the brand that sells, but it's the characters that make it marketable.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
6.298828E-02