1940s Top 100 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

rawlinson -> 1940s Top 100 (29/10/2012 8:35:02 PM)

I'm going to go back up to the 80s to carry on from the 00s and 90s lists, but I just feel in the mood for doing the 40s first.

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (29/10/2012 8:37:04 PM)

100. Moods of the Sea

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/moods-of-the-sea.jpg[/image]

Directors: John Hoffman, Slavko Vorkapich

This short film matches experimental documentary footage of the ocean with a Mendelssohn soundtrack. It's a non-narrative piece, it works by conjuring emotions through the arrangement of the ocean footage to the music. Vorkapich was a film theorist interested in the way that editing in film can work and what we have here is a montage of waves crashing against rock and birds taking flight to the rhythm of the music. Beautifully done.

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (30/10/2012 12:11:37 AM)

99. The Bishop's Wife

[image]http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/Empire1000/TheBishopsWife.jpg[/image]

Director: Henry Koster

Films described as heart-warming usually aren't. Instead they're often grotesquely saccharine. The Bishop's Wife is different. David Niven plays Bishop Henry Brougham, Henry has been working hard to build the cathedral he's always dreamed of, but a result he's been neglecting his wife, Julia. He's unable to raise the money needed so he prays for guidance. Divine intervention arrives in the form of an angel named Dudley. As played by Cary Grant, Dudley is warm and charming and quickly makes himself popular with everyone. Everyone except Henry. Dudley isn't necessarily there to help him get his cathedral, he's there to help and guide Henry and the others in the way they most need it. Dudley also manages to bring happiness into Julia's life for the first time in years, but complications ensure when Dudley and Julia find themselves attracted to each other. In the wrong hands this could have been sentimental nonsense, but a superb cast and a script that dances nicely across the sugary line means that it's one of the classic Christmas films you can enjoy at any time of the year.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (30/10/2012 1:41:17 AM)

Can't really go wrong with Grant and Niven. What do you think of The Preacher's Wife?

MovieAddict247 -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (30/10/2012 7:22:43 AM)

Not seen either, but The Bishop's Wife sounds lovely.

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (30/10/2012 10:31:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Can't really go wrong with Grant and Niven. What do you think of The Preacher's Wife?

I think you can really go wrong with Washington and Whitney. [:D]

quote:

Not seen either, but The Bishop's Wife sounds lovely.

You should check it out over Christmas. [:)]

impqueen -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (30/10/2012 3:34:16 PM)

The Bishop's Wife is a lovely film. [:)]

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (30/10/2012 11:06:24 PM)

It is. Largely thanks to how restrained it is, I think.

siegfried -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (30/10/2012 11:36:52 PM)

The Bishop's Wife walks a very thin line. It could so easily have tipped over into sickening schmaltz, but avoids doing so, in large part due to the terrific performances of the three stars. It's a film I have a considerable liking for.

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (1/11/2012 7:25:02 PM)

I think Monty Woolley does wonders in the film as well. [:)]

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (1/11/2012 7:27:54 PM)

98. The Beast with Five Fingers

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/Beastwithfivefingers.jpg[/image]

Director: Robert Florey

I should probably start by pointing out the obvious, this isn't as good as the W.F. Harvey short story that it's based on. It's also not as good as the Fear on Four radio adaptation. The film pretty much throws out the original story, just taking the titular beast. But when you have Siodmak on scripting duty and Peter Lorre doing his best bug-eyed terror routine, you know you're in for a fun time regardless. Francis Ingram is a former pianist, confined to a wheelchair since a stroke. He lives in near isolation in his manor house in a small Italian village, seeing only a few people closest to him. Ingram has changed his will so that his young nurse receives the majority of his estate, something that manages to annoy pretty much everyone else in the house. Shortly after changing the will, he dies in mysterious circumstances. Shortly after, Ingram's hand is severed from the corpse, and the occupants of the house begin spotting the disembodied hand moving around the manor. The crawling hand has become a recurring image in genre cinema, but few have done it with as much surreal horror as here.

siegfried -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (1/11/2012 7:40:00 PM)

One of my favourite horrors.

impqueen -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (1/11/2012 8:13:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I think Monty Woolley does wonders in the film as well. [:)]

He's generally brilliant in everything. [:)]

TBWFF is a top choice.

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (1/11/2012 9:00:57 PM)

It's one of those films where I think I'd rate it even higher if it wasn't for the story being so much stronger.

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (1/11/2012 9:27:42 PM)

97. Stranger on the Third Floor

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/Stranger.jpg[/image]

Director: Boris Ingster

Regarded as one of the original film noirs, it has to be admitted that Stranger... has a fairly goofy plot. A journalist, Michael Ward, is the key witness in a murder trial, his testimony is going to send Elisha Cook Jr. to the chair. Soon his neighbour is killed in similar fashion and Ward finds himself arrested for the crime, leaving it up to his girlfriend, Jane to clear his name, something she can only do by finding the mysterious stranger of the title. Clearly influenced by earlier German cinema, the film helps to establish many of the defining traits of noir, from the wrongly accused men to the shadows that haunt the corners of the film. The surreal visuals, combined with a screenplay by Nathanael West, make it one of the most memorably weird films of the decade. The film's biggest problem is that some of the performances are a little, let's be kind and say basic, but making up for that is a typically brilliant, grotesque turn from Peter Lorre.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (1/11/2012 9:49:40 PM)

I've seen 75% of this list so far [sm=w00t.gif]

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (1/11/2012 9:55:03 PM)

[:D] Is Moods of the Sea the one you haven't seen? Because if so, it's on Youtube.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (1/11/2012 10:00:52 PM)

On my way!

impqueen -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (2/11/2012 8:23:20 AM)

I really enjoyed Stranger; itís currently in my Top 100 for the year and should (unless I see 40+ awesome, life changing films before December 31st) remain there.

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (2/11/2012 12:08:33 PM)

Have you seen the Human Condition trilogy? That's three awesome life changers for you right there. [:D]

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (2/11/2012 3:24:43 PM)

96. Goofy Gymnastics

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/GoofyGymnastics.jpg[/image]

Director: Jack Kinney

I'm not much of a fan of Disney's full length animations (with a few exceptions) and generally I think their shorts were far superior, especially those featuring Goofy. I suppose you could argue that there was often a formula to the Goofy shorts, usually done in the style of an info film with Goofy learning a new activity. Goofy Gymnastics sees our hero worn out by work and deciding to get in shape, ordering a bunch of gymnastics equipment, naturally it all goes wrong and he destroys his apartment in the process of working out. To quote Roger Rabbit "Nobody takes a wallop like Goofy. What timing! What finesse! What a genius!"

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (2/11/2012 3:49:24 PM)

[sm=worship.gif][sm=worship.gif][sm=worship.gif]

What are the features you like? Chicken Little, Tangled and The Little Mermaid?

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (2/11/2012 4:15:35 PM)

[:D] Thom Tuck did a radio special where you talked about his relationships and straight to dvd Disney sequels. At the end he did a version of one of the songs from Little Mermaid and it was stuck in my head for weeks afterwards. You've now just put it back there. Bastard.

Looking at the list, I actually like more than I thought I did.

Parts of Pinocchio, parts of Fantasia, parts of Dumbo, Bambi (which I hated until a few years ago), The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, parts of Alice, The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Robin Hood, The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, Duck Tales The Movie. Most of the post Little Mermaid stuff can get fucked.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (2/11/2012 4:18:59 PM)

Do you never like Disney films as a child, or have you outgrown them?

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (2/11/2012 4:23:46 PM)

My mother and my one brother loved them and they got played a lot. I never disliked them in that sense, and the short cartoons I really liked. I just always liked Looney Tunes, Tex Avery, Tom & Jerry etc a lot more.

MovieAddict247 -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (3/11/2012 1:10:38 AM)

quote:

[:D] Thom Tuck did a radio special where you talked about his relationships and straight to dvd Disney sequels. At the end he did a version of one of the songs from Little Mermaid and it was stuck in my head for weeks afterwards. You've now just put it back there. Bastard.

Looking at the list, I actually like more than I thought I did.

Parts of Pinocchio, parts of Fantasia, parts of Dumbo, Bambi (which I hated until a few years ago), The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, parts of Alice, The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, Robin Hood, The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, Duck Tales The Movie. Most of the post Little Mermaid stuff can get fucked.

[sm=happy34.gif]

rick_7 -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (5/11/2012 8:42:01 AM)

Great list so far. I haven't seen the experimental short and I'm not sure if I've seen the Goofy, but the other three are all interesting movies. I find The Bishop's Wife slightly confused and unsatisfying compared to - say - It's a Wonderful Life, but the stars are good and it has some lovely moments. The Beast with Five Fingers (which I think is a wanking euphemism) has a rather clunky story but probably the definitive Lorre performance and several intoxicating set-pieces. Stranger... is one of those historical footnotes that's also top entertainment: very tight and imaginative, with a great cast. I'll check out the others. What's next?

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (5/11/2012 2:43:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

but probably the definitive Lorre performance and several intoxicating set-pieces.

You think? I'd have gone for M and Mad Love over it. I'm going to try and get the next entry or two up tonight or tomorrow. But I've been doing the counting for the horror list and trying to get that up and running, so there may be a slight delay with this. [:)]

rick_7 -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (5/11/2012 7:31:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

but probably the definitive Lorre performance and several intoxicating set-pieces.

You think? I'd have gone for M and Mad Love over it. I'm going to try and get the next entry or two up tonight or tomorrow. But I've been doing the counting for the horror list and trying to get that up and running, so there may be a slight delay with this. [:)]

Cool. I think his turn in M may be greater (I've never seen Mad Love, shame on me), but Beast seems to perfectly crystallise Lorre's persona, at least as it exists within the popular imagination. It's also probably my favourite Lorre turn (though I love Joel Cairo) because it's so much fun, and pairs him with the perfect foil for his neuroses: a scary hand.

rawlinson -> RE: 1940s Top 100 (5/11/2012 8:42:18 PM)

You should watch Mad Love, it is absolutely astonishing. [:D] I see what you mean about the popular image, although I think Arsenic and Old Lace does a good job of that as well.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI