Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics

Ghidorah -> Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (29/10/2012 8:01:46 PM)

Hurricane Sandy haven't reached North America yet but already there are flooding and lost of lives. Already there are streets knee deep in water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnVFPwzXjZE

Makes me wonder how bad things will get in the coming hours and days. If this is now then what will come in the coming hours?

elab49 -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (29/10/2012 8:07:30 PM)

I'm slightly confused by the stories around this and the 'ooooo' 70mph wind speed stuff. We've had at least one bout earlier this year worse than that - surely this 'perfect storm' type thing has to be bigger? 

sharkboy -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (29/10/2012 8:16:22 PM)

Its not just the wind speed that is making this "Frankenstorm". A lot of the damage is likely to come from the potential longevity it may have, as it is prevented from dispersing into the Atlantic by high pressure to the north and cold strong winds from the north west. This, coupled with very high tides and potentially huge storm surges brings this one well into the potential for "batten down the hatches and kiss your ass goodbye" classification. Thus, the "perfect storm", or more accurately, one fucker of a storm created by the perfect conditions.

elab49 -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (29/10/2012 8:25:37 PM)

See, why can't the news put it like that [:D]

Ghidorah -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (29/10/2012 8:27:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'm slightly confused by the stories around this and the 'ooooo' 70mph wind speed stuff. We've had at least one bout earlier this year worse than that - surely this 'perfect storm' type thing has to be bigger? 

One news report the wind is up to 125mph.

In this link is a 'sky scraper' crane twisted by the wind.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/29/us/new-york-crane-collapse/index.html

I think part of the problem are people used to weather warnings that rarely develope to being something serious. I think channel 4 news mention New Yorkers ignored the warnings and now regretting it.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (29/10/2012 8:41:00 PM)

I've got a friend in Princeton, NJ and he's right in the path. While he's posting on FB I know he's safe [:)]

Lulu has said that the county next to her is due 24 inches of snow whereas her town is in the wind/rain zone..... [&:]

Hobbitonlass -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (29/10/2012 8:41:56 PM)

Pictures doing the rounds on FB and Twitter and other mediums that some people think are real

http://www.buzzfeed.com/reyhan/viral-photos-that-arent-hurricane-sandy

Wish no 10 was!!

Woger -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (29/10/2012 10:25:01 PM)

I'm in NY about 200 meters from the ocean, I think we'll be ok. Atlantic City and Pennsylvania will get it very bad. Even upstate NY will get flooding from the rain.

Ghidorah -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (29/10/2012 11:17:10 PM)

New York Fire department tweeted multiple dwelling building collasped.

MAN 2-ALARM 92 8TH AVE, MULTIPLE DWELLING BUILDING COLLAPSE,

I had a quick look at the building on google map. It might not be the correct building but it's hard to believe it could collapse by the wind.

Edit

The building haven't collasped but it has suffered damage.

Deviation -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (31/10/2012 12:14:00 AM)

As a wise man once said, "I'm glad I'm not in New Jersey right now".

sanchia -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (3/11/2012 9:04:00 AM)

So the New York Marathon has now been cancelled. A little late in the day to be honest. I can see why though considering that many powerful generators have been diverted to the marathon rather than areas where power has still not been restored.

Skiba -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (3/11/2012 9:35:10 AM)

70 or so dead in Haiti yet there's little to no coverage...now there's a country that needs its infrastructure to be working. New York will recover very quickly.

Deviation -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (3/11/2012 3:23:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

70 or so dead in Haiti yet there's little to no coverage...now there's a country that needs its infrastructure to be working. New York will recover very quickly.

Wasn't that because it still wasn't a Frankenstorm by then and sadly, very sadly, those things are quite common in Haiti (made much sadder considering the country is both poor and a mess)?

Skiba -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (4/11/2012 10:25:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Wasn't that because it still wasn't a Frankenstorm by then and sadly, very sadly, those things are quite common in Haiti (made much sadder considering the country is both poor and a mess)?

I'm not sure. I know that they're prone to extreme weather, but I can't imagine that many deaths are a regular occurence. I may be wrong though. Many more are dying through widespread cholera now too. It just seems rather biased coverage to the States with in-depth analysis of power outages, fuel shortages etc. Of course these are important but these will be sorted in a matter of days, whereas Haiti won't ever recover, and slowly go further into extreme poverty.

But then New York are going to be getting Jon Bon Jovi singing for them, so, swings and roundabouts.

Deviation -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (4/11/2012 1:46:50 PM)

Big-scale nature-related deaths are not uncommon un Haiti, and I had heard that the storm had caused lots of fatalities in Haiti, also part of why it was a concern when it was coming to the States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_natural_disasters_in_Haiti

Hurricane Jeanne in 2004 is a true bitch, 3,000 dead.

Also, it's not bias, it's just exposure. The US are a strong nation close to an election that found themselves a superstorm. Haiti is Haiti.

Mister Coe -> RE: Hurricane Sandy - Super storm (4/11/2012 7:22:12 PM)

Really pissed off, my aunt was supposed to be coming over for my cousins wedding (her only son) but all flights are cancelled.

Damn you, weather!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI