Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Timon -> Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 10:05:36 AM)

This year, both Paramount and Universal Studios celebrate their centenary and, as such, whenever you buy a new Universal DVD, you're treated to a 2 min '100 Years of Universal' trailer - which is nice.

This got me thinking, over the past 100 or so years of studio film-making, which major studio has established the best legacy, the best reputation and the best record for producing classic movies of our time?

Is it Universal for their classic horror films, their working relationship with Alfred Hitchcock, their lucrative collaborations with Steven Spielberg and their theme parks?

Is it Paramount for giving us the Indiana Jones/Star Trek films, sheparding the Marvel movies and financing Dreamworks? Warner Brothers for giving creative freedom to many directors such as Nolan, Eastwood and the Potter team and overseeing some massive franchises? Is it MGM for its groundbreaking musicals and James Bond films? 20th Century Fox for not being afraid to back horses like Titanic, Star Wars and Avatar? Or does the House of Mouse get your vote every time?

Paramount's 100 Year Photo. Click image to embiggen.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy (22/10/2012 10:08:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Is it Paramount for giving us the Indiana Jones/Star Trek films, sheparding the Marvel movies and financing Dreamworks?

Missing a certain Greatest American Movie Ever Made (tm) there, Ti/.

Timon -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy (22/10/2012 10:16:37 AM)

Deep Rising was New Line.

[:D]

elab49 -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy (22/10/2012 10:17:56 AM)

So you mean RKO should be included?

elab49 -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy (22/10/2012 10:42:18 AM)

It was the greatest American film thing - Kane was RKO. As was King Kong. And some of the greatest film noir. A fair chunk of my favourite films have that broadcast logo up front. And the multi-part RKO story is one of the most fascinating of studio documentaries.

Whistler -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy (22/10/2012 10:57:27 AM)

quote:

Completely irrelevant to point of the thread, but Bieber really annoys me in this photo. Not because I dislike his music or because it's "cool" to hate on him, but just look at him: everyone else is standing/sitting normally, just looking at the camera, but there he is swinging off the platform with his hands in the air like a massive douche.

Also, Tony Scott [:(]

UTB -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy (22/10/2012 11:08:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Indeed. [:(]

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy (22/10/2012 11:19:30 AM)

quote:

quote:

Completely irrelevant to point of the thread, but Bieber really annoys me in this photo. Not because I dislike his music or because it's "cool" to hate on him, but just look at him: everyone else is standing/sitting normally, just looking at the camera, but there he is swinging off the platform with his hands in the air like a massive douche.

Yep.
Also Tommy Chong looks like he's just been brought off the street.[:D]
There's a fair few who,quite frankly,shouldn't be in there.And Shia get a bloomin shave ,man.

musht -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy (22/10/2012 11:30:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

Yep.
Also Tommy Chong looks like he's just been brought off the street.[:D]
There's a fair few who,quite frankly,shouldn't be in there.And Shia get a bloomin shave ,man.

Eddie Murphy's a giant!!!

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy (22/10/2012 11:47:24 AM)

I keep thinking what on earth is Eamonn Holmes doing in this picture,but its actually Gore Verbinski.
George Takei looks abit tipsy while Amy Heckerling looks like a recovering herion addict.

giggity -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 12:14:23 PM)

quote:

This year, both Paramount and Universal Studios celebrate their centenary and, as such, whenever you buy a new Universal DVD, you're treated to a 2 min '100 Years of Universal' trailer - which is nice.

This got me thinking, over the past 100 or so years of studio film-making, which major studio has established the best legacy, the best reputation and the best record for producing classic movies of our time?

Is it Universal for their classic horror films, their working relationship with Alfred Hitchcock, their lucrative collaborations with Steven Spielberg and their theme parks?

Is it Paramount for giving us the Indiana Jones/Star Trek films, sheparding the Marvel movies and financing Dreamworks? Warner Brothers for giving creative freedom to many directors such as Nolan, Eastwood and the Potter team and overseeing some massive franchises? Is it MGM for its groundbreaking musicals and James Bond films? 20th Century Fox for not being afraid to back horses like Titanic, Star Wars and Avatar? Or does the House of Mouse get your vote every time?

Do you think all of them took the picture at the same time? Cos Is it me or does that pic look photoshopped?

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 12:16:12 PM)

100% edited/Photoshopped.
[:)]

Timon -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 12:18:26 PM)

On the latest Empire podcast, Kate Featherstone said it all happened and how she was bantering with Rudd and Black during the shoot... however I reckon some photoshopping went on for those who had their eyes closed/were gurning/needed touching up.

Whistler -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 12:22:22 PM)

Yeah, it's obviously been brushed up, but (to me) it definitely looks like everyone's there at the same time.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 12:25:26 PM)

to me it looks really edited,odd if real.
Maybe its the definition.[sm=33.gif]

I was to busy looking at the shadows,some don't look like they are in conjunction with the rest of the photo..

musht -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 12:27:26 PM)

quote:

On the latest Empire podcast, Kate Featherstone said it all happened and how she was bantering with Rudd and Black during the shoot... however I reckon some photoshopping went on for those who had their eyes closed/were gurning/needed touching up.

No doubt some of them were done in groups, Kate, Rudd, and Black are all pretty close together. But I seriously doubt this group photo was done in one shot. Some of the proportions are all wrong. Look at Guggenheim's arm and LaBoef's leg, Lloyd's knee is clearly jabbing Guggenheim in the back, Jane Fonda's leg's are unbelievably short below the knee.

matty_b -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 3:48:24 PM)

There is no way Cameron Diaz's arm is actually behind Nick Nolte's head there.

Freeman and Streisand look odd, too.

vad3r -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 3:59:28 PM)

Studios are just there to fund the film and worry about the numbers. It's the director and writer who have the biggest impact on how well the film turns out.

jcthefirst -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 4:16:26 PM)

quote:

She's rather lovely too.

directorscut -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 5:02:56 PM)

quote:

Hitchcock's most famous films (Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo, North by Northwest) were done at Paramount. Universal only acquire the rights to these films (except NBYNW) later.

I would say Warner have the biggest legacy. They brought in the talkies with The Jazz Singer, popularized the musical with Gold Diggers of Broadway and the gangster film with Little Caesar and The Public Enemy. They had a great line-up of contract players during the golden age. They also own a significant chunk of their great rival's (MGM) catalogue including their most beloved films - Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur, as well as RKO - Citizen Kane. And let's not forget their animation studio.

They are also responsible for the modern comic book movie with Superman and Batman.

Timon -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 5:07:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Hitchcock's most famous films (Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo, North by Northwest) were done at Paramount. Universal only acquire the rights to these films (except NBYNW) later.

I would say Warner have the biggest legacy. They brought in the talkies with The Jazz Singer, popularized the musical with Gold Diggers of Broadway and the gangster film with Little Caesar and The Public Enemy. They had a great line-up of contract players during the golden age. They also own a significant chunk of their great rival's (MGM) catalogue including their most beloved films - Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Ben-Hur, as well as RKO - Citizen Kane. And let's not forget their animation studio.

They are also responsible for the modern comic book movie with Superman and Batman.

Ah right, I was wondering when and how Universal got most of Hitch's backcatalogue.

I suppose WB now owns New Line's back catalogue as well after the 2008 merger, that could give them the edge. Plus they haven't dropped the ball as often as Fox and Paramount have...

adambatman82 -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 5:22:33 PM)

I'd go with Warner too.

Darth Marenghi -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (22/10/2012 11:25:52 PM)

I thought WB as soon as I read the thread title but DC has already made a convincing argument.

Timon -> RE: Which Major Hollywood Studio Has The Greatest Legacy And Reputation? (1/11/2012 8:44:48 AM)

I recently bought this book on Merian C. Cooper's unmade epic War Eagles and I read that back in the 1930s, Warner Brothers was the only Hollywood studio that embarked on a virtual crusade to alert Americans to the growing menace of Nazism. Apparently while all other studios didn't want to anger the European/German market, Polish-Jewish immigrants Harry and Jack Warner felt it was their duty to inform the American public of the insidious threat Hitler's regime posed throughout the world.

In 1933, after its Berlin manager was pummeled in a back alley by Nazi brownshirts, Warner Bros. became the first studio to sever economic ties with the lucrative German market. The brothers also pledged their allegiance by supporting the Hollywood Anti-Nazi League and hosted fundraisers for the cause. Groucho Marx once declared them “the only studio with any guts” when it came to Nazism.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.076172E-02