Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Bloke from Oz -> Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (10/10/2012 3:51:56 PM)

Let's face it - many of us here have the habit of collecting more DVDs and Blu Rays than we have the time to keep up with our viewing; it's the film freak in all of us. We see this film, or that film, and we must have it. But pretty soon, there's a large collection on our shelves; films sitting there for ages on end, and for some reason or other, we never have the time to watch these films!!

I am definitely guilty of these activities, even though I'm trying to organise a film library accessible to family and friends (Films grouped according to categories, and alphabetised, and suitable viewing, age-friendly films bottom to top).

Has anyone successfully broken this cycle, and what advice would you give to someone like me wishing to follow suit?

Shifty Bench -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (10/10/2012 4:56:12 PM)

I just buy films I like and know I would watch again. I don't buy Blus or DVDs just to have a large collection. I used to do that but when you start to question yourself why a certain film sits on your shelf you know you're doing something wrong. [:D]

Shouldn't this be in the dvd forum? [:)]

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (10/10/2012 5:15:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I just buy films I like and know I would watch again. I don't buy Blus or DVDs just to have a large collection. I used to do that but when you start to question yourself why a certain film sits on your shelf you know you're doing something wrong. [:D]

Shouldn't this be in the dvd forum? [:)]

Yep.
I now question why I brought Tropic Thunder,Watchmen..AVP:Requiem

Shifty Bench -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (10/10/2012 5:22:42 PM)

Yeah, I wonder why I bought Tropic Thunder too [&:]

I think it was to listen to the commentary but I won't watch the film again so it just sits there.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (10/10/2012 5:36:07 PM)

quote:

Yeah, I wonder why I bought Tropic Thunder too [&:]

I think it was to listen to the commentary but I won't watch the film again so it just sits there.

When I first saw Tropic Thunder I thought it was hilarious,especially the Stiller Parody film intros.
Now though,...well, I simply don't find if humorous and I'm thinking why I ever did (though R.Downey Jnr is good in it).
Certainly not the worst Film.
AVP:requiem on the other hand.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (10/10/2012 5:41:52 PM)

I do like Tropic Thunder but I've seen it and have no desire to do so again [:)]

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (10/10/2012 6:12:23 PM)

quote:

have no desire to do do again [:)]

Just going hold it in? [sm=33.gif] [:D]

jackcarter -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (10/10/2012 6:53:56 PM)

one reason for having these massive collections is the completist element. if you have say Matrix 1 then you HAVE to have the sequels (even though you hate them). so if you were strict on yourself youd only own the films you liked not loads of sequels/spinoffs/remakes because you gotta have them. years ago when vhs were like 14.99 each then maybe youd limit yourself to the ones you liked most but now its sometimes cheaper to buy the complete box set than seperate films anyway...

boaby -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (10/10/2012 7:32:04 PM)

Only DVDs I've got that I've not watched are: Papillon, The Alamo and Braveheart.

I bought Papillion because I've seen it on telly and liked it. Never got round to watching it.

The other two were "gifts" from my poor deluded brother. He knows I like history. I know Braveheart is bad through cinematic experience, I only know the the Alamo is bad by reputation.

Whistler -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (11/10/2012 1:10:58 AM)

I used to buy multiple DVDs at a time just because they were in a deal. If it was, say, 5 for 20, and there were only three I really wanted, I'd seek out two more films just to make up space. Subsequently I've built a massive collection of films that are mostly good, but some them are just filler that I never watch. (Although I have watched every film in my collection at some point). These days I only buy the ones I really love, and because I'm now buying blu ray, the price kind of forces me to be more wise with my spending.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (11/10/2012 1:14:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

quote:

have no desire to do do again [:)]

Just going hold it in? [sm=33.gif] [:D]

I hate it when people change my posts to make a poop joke......

[sm=whistle.gif] [:D]

vad3r -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (11/10/2012 3:01:12 AM)

If I see something that interests me at a good price, I'll buy it. Also, 100% of the films I buy are blind buys. I don't go to the cinema or watch films online.

Bloke from Oz -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (11/10/2012 3:08:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

one reason for having these massive collections is the completist element. if you have say Matrix 1 then you HAVE to have the sequels (even though you hate them). so if you were strict on yourself youd only own the films you liked not loads of sequels/spinoffs/remakes because you gotta have them. years ago when vhs were like 14.99 each then maybe youd limit yourself to the ones you liked most but now its sometimes cheaper to buy the complete box set than seperate films anyway...

Not really. Of all the 22 available James Bond films, I only get the ones I like the most (I would limit that to 10) as getting the whole set takes up space, not to mention I would have to spend a lot of money. I also only buy and keep the franchise installments which appeal to me the most (Die Hard 4.0, Fast Five, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Johnny English Reborn, Little Fockers, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Ocean's Thirteen, POTC: At World's End, Superman Returns and Toy Story 3).

So in short, I have no completist thinking of franchises.

great_badir -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (11/10/2012 1:01:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby
I bought Papillion because I've seen it on telly and liked it. Never got round to watching it.

Papillon is amazing.

I broke the squirrel habit when we moved to our current house in 2005. Prior to that move, I had amassed a collection of around 4000 (yes, four thousand) pre-recorded VHS and betamax vids (albeit mostly from scouring car boot sales over the course of nearly 10 years and paying a couple of quid max for each one), as well as several hundred 4 and 5 hour tapes of stuff recorded off the TV (in long play) and, back in the days when R1 DVDs were not only cheap but were also available before the films had come out at the cinema over here, I was buying shit loads of stuff that I'd never heard of just cos it sounded quite good or had involvement from actors and directors I liked.

The house we moved to in '05 was a downsize (3 beds down to 2, semi down to end terrace, reason for it being the area we were living in was a bit dodgy and we got fed up and moved to a much nicer area), and there was simply not enough room to keep everything. So, one cold and sunny morning in January 2005, my entire collection of videotapes went down the local tip. It broke my heart. I also wanted to tear my face off literally two days later when Blockbuster first advertised their "bring in your old videos for cash or store credit" promo.

Anyways, no point crying over spilt milk. So now I only buy stuff I REALLY want and I'm much more ruthless with stuff recorded off the TV, whereas I used to keep probably 75% of stuff I taped. I'm also much better at getting rid of stuff - if I buy a blu ray replacement of a DVD I already have and the blu ray is either identical or better, then the DVD goes on eBay or is given to friends, whereas before I'd have kept the DVD as well.

It's just like kicking any habit, I guess - hard at first, but after a while you can't understand how you ever let it get that bad.

Coyleone -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (11/10/2012 1:58:38 PM)

I recently got rid of a ton of DVD's that I knew I'd never watch again. I just love having a DVD collection for some reason, it used to be full of some rubbish but it's now just films I really like and that I'll watch again at some point or another. But then I've got a film like 300 (random pick) that I thought was a good film but I'll probably never watch again, but I'll keep it because I thought it was good.

will1000 -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (11/10/2012 7:22:04 PM)

I used to but then I got married. Now I have neither the time nor money to collect films.

chewbacasnapsak -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (11/10/2012 8:42:08 PM)

A friend of mine made his girlfriend a poster of a load of classic books on a bookshelf, he did it on Photoshop I think.
I fancied doing something similar for movies, thus saving me both the cost of buying a film I consequently would never watch and also having the fucking things cluttering up the place.

steflon -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (12/10/2012 10:21:10 PM)

'Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.'

adambatman82 -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (12/10/2012 10:45:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: chewbacasnapsak
A friend of mine made his girlfriend a poster of a load of classic books on a bookshelf, he did it on Photoshop I think.

That just sounds horribly depressing.

chewbacasnapsak -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (13/10/2012 2:38:52 PM)

What? People with girlfriends? It happens.

Timon -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (18/10/2012 10:12:49 AM)

I have a clear out every 6 months and sell any DVDs that I know I won't watch again or I feel were a mistake to buy in the first place. Perhaps you should do that.

Hood_Man -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (18/10/2012 10:35:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Reminds me of the romantic story my work colleague told me. Her ex (many many moons ago) had a small box delivered to her place of work one day, and after opening it in front of everyone she found one of these:

[image]http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/656188073/3X-Luxy-font-b-Velvet-b-font-Heart-Gift-font-b-Ring-b-font-Storage-font.jpg[/image]
A ring box.

Getting excited, she opened it as quickly as she could, in front of all her colleagues, and found this:

[image]http://s31.dawandastatic.com/Product/8082/8082610/big/1265331464-52.jpg[/image]

Everyone around her went "Awwwwwww! [:)]"

She didn't [:D]

sandy666 -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (18/10/2012 8:50:33 PM)

I got fed up dusting DVD cases of films I never watched.

Nowadays I use the cinema,rental services and downloading services as much as possible. I still buy the odd blu-ray/DVD but only those really special ones.

I have an annual cull. Films I haven't watched for a year are on the Oxfam list. Unless I can think of a decent reason why it should stay, it goes.

chewbacasnapsak -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (18/10/2012 9:32:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Reminds me of the romantic story my work colleague told me. Her ex (many many moons ago) had a small box delivered to her place of work one day, and after opening it in front of everyone she found one of these:

[image]http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/656188073/3X-Luxy-font-b-Velvet-b-font-Heart-Gift-font-b-Ring-b-font-Storage-font.jpg[/image]
A ring box.

Getting excited, she opened it as quickly as she could, in front of all her colleagues, and found this:

[image]http://s31.dawandastatic.com/Product/8082/8082610/big/1265331464-52.jpg[/image]

Everyone around her went "Awwwwwww! [:)]"

She didn't [:D]

Haha, excellent. What my mate did with the poster wasn't as awful as I'm making out. She decluttered a lot of her stuff getting rid of all her books onto Kindle, but she ended up missing them, but not the fact that they were piled all over the house, hence the poster, which started as a little joke, but she really liked it and which looked really good and is framed in an alcove in their porch.

esmichaels -> RE: Why do we tend to collect more films than we can watch? (21/10/2012 3:19:43 AM)

when we are a movie addict, we wanna watch everything that tempts us

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI