RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (6/10/2012 2:53:41 PM)

I was tempted to pick Moe for Rich Hall, just to take the piss. [:D] And yeah, Eleanor Bron was all kinds of lovely.

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (6/10/2012 3:46:33 PM)

192. Ron Shock

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/RonShock.jpg[/image]

Oral Roberts, 900 Foot Jesus & Other Tall Tales
Comedy Album

From the chain gang to head of a publishing house to friend and contemporary of Bill Hicks, Ron Shock led an interesting life. He passed away earlier this year, and one of stand-up's funniest and most original voices was silenced. You could see the Hicks influence in his stand-up style (or maybe you could see the influence of Shock on Hicks) either way, he was one of the best storytelling comedians out there. the title track on this album is my favourite of his work, the story of preacher Oral Roberts and his claim that he was once visited by a 900 foot tall Jesus.

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 12:34:43 PM)

191. Jon Stewart

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/DailyShow.jpg[/image]

The Daily Show
1999 -
T.V. Series

The Daily Show fills an intelligent political satire slot in America that we're sadly lacking these days in the U.K. It's been a training ground for some of the best of the current generation of comedy stars, and it made Stewart into a household name. I think it says much about Stewart's work on the show that for many he's a more trusted news reporter than many actual political journalists. Despite a very obvious liberal viewpoint, Stewart manages to come across as more open-minded and reasonable than any allegedly impartial reporters, and he never forgets that his job is still to make us laugh.

impqueen -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 1:13:42 PM)

900 Foot Jesus is brilliant. [:D]

I love The Daily Show and Stewart is very good, the list of ex correspondents is ridiculous.

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 1:16:02 PM)

Did you know Shock before or was it a first listen?

Man had an amazing life. He was arrested as a young man for robbing stores, got given the choice of the army or jail, went into the army where the first thing they did was teach him to use explosives. Came out of the army as a safe-cracker as well as a thief. [:D]

impqueen -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 1:18:42 PM)

It was a first listen [:)] "...third best concert I have ever seen.." [:D]

MonsterCat -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 1:27:16 PM)

The Daily Show also had Olivia Munn, which is a shame.

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 2:08:51 PM)

Not a fan?

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 2:10:57 PM)

190. Wyatt Cenac

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/WyattCenac.jpg[/image]

Comedy Person
Comedy Album

From one Daily Show cast member to another, Wyatt Cenac's debut comedy album is one of the funniest and brightest of recent years. Not as political as you'd expect, although he has some hilarious Obama/Tea Party material, instead the album has a more absurdist feel. The trouble is that even quick descriptions of his work might make it seem a little hacky, how he sucked at "Yo mama" jokes, cat videos on Youtube, why people who don't have televisions are basically pricks. Those short descriptions probably make you roll your eyes just reading them, but the self-described geek has such an original, personal take that they aren't hacky in his hands. The highlight of the album is an extended routine about a run-in with what might be KKK members outside a dog show in MSG, but most of the real joys come from the little moments and throw-away lines, such as the real problem with his attractive neighbour not owning a t.v. or his rather brilliant yo mama joke. A smart, smooth and hilarious new comedy voice.

vad3r -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 2:41:56 PM)

Jon Stewart on The Daily Show is good but I find Seth Meyers on SNL or Stephen Colbert on The Colbert Report better for funny political satire.

MonsterCat -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 2:52:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Not a fan?

She's terrible. But I like the show and Stewart.

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 9:05:20 PM)

189. John Ratzenberger

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/CliffClavin.jpg[/image]

as Cliff Clavin in Cheers
1982 - 1993
T.V. Series

Ratzenberger originally auditioned for the role of Cliff's best friend and fellow barfly Norm Peterson, when he didn't get the part he suggested that the producers add an additional character, a bar know-it-all. Cliff Clavin became one of television's most lovably infuriating characters over the decade that followed. A postman who thought his job should be treated with unlimited respect, despite the mockery of everyone around him. A bar-room bore who never realised how much everyone hated his little facts. A mother-fixated man who bragged of success with women, when really he was terrified of them. Despite all his failings, Cliff was a character you couldn't help but love.

matty_b -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 9:50:01 PM)

Ah, Cliff Clavin.

Me in about five years time. [:(]

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (8/10/2012 10:00:20 PM)

Not seen any on this page apart from when John Ratzenberger popped up in Frasier.

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (9/10/2012 10:36:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Me in about five years time. [:(]

Voicing Pixar films?

matty_b -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (9/10/2012 11:08:28 AM)

That would not make me go [:(]

That would make me go [sm=w00t.gif]

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (9/10/2012 11:23:45 AM)

I need to know why you think you're Cliff Clavin. I always had you down more as a Carla. [:D]

matty_b -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (9/10/2012 11:41:23 AM)

Oh, I'm just going to end up wasting my days propping up a bar, boring everybody around me probably. [:D]

I don't want to know why you think I'm more like Carla.

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (9/10/2012 11:50:54 AM)

quote:

Because you have the horn for Danny DeVito.

Although sadly that's no longer true for Carla.

impqueen -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (9/10/2012 11:55:41 AM)

quote:

quote:

There is no such thing as love these days. [:(]

Ive only seen Wyatt Cenac as a correspondent but Id be interested in listening to that.

Ratzenberger as Cliff is brilliant. [:D]

matty_b -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (9/10/2012 11:57:11 AM)

quote:

quote:

[image]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6yyciOjmz1qkwssn.gif[/image]

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (9/10/2012 11:58:16 AM)

It actually shocked me when I saw the headline. They're one of those couples you thought would just never split up. First Amy Poehler and Will Arnett, now Danny and Rhea. [:(]

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (9/10/2012 11:59:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Ive only seen Wyatt Cenac as a correspondent but Id be interested in listening to that.

You should definitely give it a try. He's got my new favourite mother joke. [:D]

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (9/10/2012 12:00:04 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

[image]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6yyciOjmz1qkwssn.gif[/image]

You can try and hide it, but there are benefits for you, you could rub his little bald head and he wouldn't even have to kneel.

drews -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (9/10/2012 3:49:11 PM)

It's Peter Sellers in A Shot in the Dark.

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (10/10/2012 1:49:57 PM)

?

rawlinson -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (10/10/2012 1:51:36 PM)

188. Aziz Ansari

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/IntimateMoments.jpg[/image]

Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening
Comedy Album

I've had a bit of an unjustified wobble with this album. Originally in this spot was Tig Notaro's Good One. The release this weekend of her Live album (Live as in the opposite of die), already rightly acclaimed as a legendary set, meant that Notaro has flown up the list and everyone else moved down a place. Also this weekend, I was reading an online top 100 songs of all time list. The list provoked the usual reactions in the comments section, anything that was more poppy (Madonna, Michael Jackson, etc) was angrily attacked by some of the commentators. Even the fact that The Beach Boys came number one for the beautiful God Only Knows was seen as some kind of betrayal by some people. The anger that something lighter can provoke in some people is a puzzler, and then it got me thinking about Ansari's entry here, especially in comparison to the new Notaro album. Notaro's album was recorded shortly after her diagnosis with cancer, and she deals with that in the set. Ansari's is light, what some would call throwaway. My favourite two routines on the album involve Aziz hanging out with Kanye and fucking with his little cousin on Facebook. It doesn't have that same emotional depth or personal honesty that some people demand in stand-up comedy, but I'm not sure that should matter. I bumped Notaro based not just on how raw and how honest her Live album is, I bumped it because of how funny it is, even when it seems it shouldn't be. Ansari's album may deal with lighter stuff, but it's still a brilliant comedy album, capable of reducing me to absolute hysterics at times, and Ansari is an accomplished performer. His album is essentially a pop single, and like the greatest of them you just want to listen to it over and over.

matty_b -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (10/10/2012 2:03:33 PM)

quote:

Even the fact that The Beach Boys came number one for the beautiful God Only Knows was seen as some kind of betrayal by some people.

Wankers.

The people, not The Beach Boys obvs.

MonsterCat -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (10/10/2012 2:03:46 PM)

I have that Aziz Ansari album and it's really funny.

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: 200 Favourite Comedy Performances (10/10/2012 2:07:11 PM)

Yep that album and Ansari himself are hilarious. After having Adam Scott and Aziz, will any more Parks and Rec cast members be making an appearance? [:)]

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI