RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

siegfried -> RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns (2/10/2012 6:47:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

No room for El Topo makes me sad. [:(] Glad to see so many Anthony Mann high up though.

Can't please everybody. Sorry to disappoint you, but very pleased that you're in agreement with me about Anthony Mann. I consider the series of Westerns which he made between 1950 and 1958 to be among the greatest masterpieces of the western genre, and on a par with the best of the likes of John Ford and Howard Hawks.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns (2/10/2012 7:13:37 AM)

I've seen 8 of the top 10 and I adore 5 of them. Unforgiven, True Grit, Destry, Winchester and Rio Bravo are all amazing.

Rebel scum -> RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns (2/10/2012 8:41:55 AM)

Unforgiven is great
True Grit is pretty good
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance should be higher!
Rio Bravo was good, but not THAT good
Ditto The Searchers

siegfried -> RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns (3/10/2012 3:53:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I've seen 8 of the top 10 and I adore 5 of them. Unforgiven, True Grit, Destry, Winchester and Rio Bravo are all amazing.

You scored well on that one. [sm=happy34.gif][sm=happy34.gif]

ElephantBoy -> RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns (6/10/2012 4:18:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Have only seen the original of 3:10 to Yuma which I thought was great.

Ride the High Country is a great choice hope for at least a couple more Peckinpah on your list.

Clearly you rate Clint's Westerns more highly than I do.  I don't mind them but can take or leave many, 3 Mules of Sister Sara being a favourite of mine.

Yes but I said Eastwood Western's didn't say he had to have directed them[;)]

Find your list a bit hit and miss.  Not sure about the 2010 True Grit being in the top ten, it was good but really that good?  Too many John Wayne films.  Also I am right in thinking no Wild Bunch or Johnny Guitar?  They would have been in my list.

Which was, of course, directed by Don Siegel. [:D]

siegfried -> RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns (9/10/2012 3:51:19 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ride the High Country is a great choice hope for at least a couple more Peckinpah on your list.

Clearly you rate Clint's Westerns more highly than I do.  I don't mind them but can take or leave many, 3 Mules of Sister Sara being a favourite of mine.

Find your list a bit hit and miss.  Not sure about the 2010 True Grit being in the top ten, it was good but really that good?  Too many John Wayne films.  Also I am right in thinking no Wild Bunch or Johnny Guitar?  They would have been in my list.

I take exception to your hit and miss comment, as I put a considerable amount of time and thought into compiling my lists.
As for True Grit being in the top 10, I'd remind you that the title of this thread is my 50 favourite westerns, and True Grit is way up there in those terms.
And too many John Wayne films? He's widely recognised as the greatest western star of all time, as well as the most prolific, therefore any list of westerns is surely going to feature him more prominently than virtually any other actor. Also, I think you'll find that James Stewart features just as prominently.
Right, no Wild Bunch or Johnny Guitar. Peckinpah's reliance on gratuitous violence to make his points I find a turn off, and Johnny Guitar would be more likely to make my list of the most bizarre films that I've seen. So they may have made your list, but this is my list.

chambanzi -> RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns (9/10/2012 10:50:54 PM)

Really good list with some good recommendations. You have clearly seen shit loads of Westerns to compile this list... many I haven't seen which is always a good thing.

The Searchers and Rio Bravo are amazing and I think they deserve top slots. One thing I find with both those films is that they grow on a re-watch. I can return to those films again and again and again. Other Western's seem more epic to the casual western watcher because they watch each one once. I think Dean Martin is awesome in Rio Bravo. Wayne is always consistent despite what people say.
Winchester '73, Liberty Valance, Josey Wales, 3:10 to Yuma and Butch Cassidy are favourites of mine (all of them have made my top 100 list already.)

siegfried -> RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns (10/10/2012 12:18:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: chambanzi

Really good list with some good recommendations. You have clearly seen shit loads of Westerns to compile this list... many I haven't seen which is always a good thing.

The Searchers and Rio Bravo are amazing and I think they deserve top slots. One thing I find with both those films is that they grow on a re-watch. I can return to those films again and again and again. Other Western's seem more epic to the casual western watcher because they watch each one once. I think Dean Martin is awesome in Rio Bravo. Wayne is always consistent despite what people say.
Winchester '73, Liberty Valance, Josey Wales, 3:10 to Yuma and Butch Cassidy are favourites of mine (all of them have made my top 100 list already.)

I've always felt that John Wayne tends to be seriously underestimated by many people. You've only to watch him in Red River and The Searchers to see that he was capable of performances of considerable depth and feeling.

ElephantBoy -> RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns (10/10/2012 3:47:45 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I take exception to your hit and miss comment, as I put a considerable amount of time and thought into compiling my lists.
As for True Grit being in the top 10, I'd remind you that the title of this thread is my 50 favourite westerns, and True Grit is way up there in those terms.
And too many John Wayne films? He's widely recognised as the greatest western star of all time, as well as the most prolific, therefore any list of westerns is surely going to feature him more prominently than virtually any other actor. Also, I think you'll find that James Stewart features just as prominently.
Right, no Wild Bunch or Johnny Guitar. Peckinpah's reliance on gratuitous violence to make his points I find a turn off, and Johnny Guitar would be more likely to make my list of the most bizarre films that I've seen. So they may have made your list, but this is my list.

I just meant hit and miss from my point of view I didn't mean to cause offence.

Fine enough on the True Grit point. 

I found Wayne to be such a bad actor and while he has been in some classics I think there are far more interesting or enjoyable Westerns than the ones he has been in.

I think Wild Bunch and JG are amazing films myself.

siegfried -> RE: My Top 50 Favourite Westerns (11/10/2012 12:32:18 AM)

[/quote]

I found Wayne to be such a bad actor and while he has been in some classics I think there are far more interesting or enjoyable Westerns than the ones he has been in.

[/quote]

I doubt that a bad actor would be able to sustain a career as a top star for five decades, star in over 170 films, be among the top box office stars for three decades and become the top money making actor of all time at the box office.
Maybe you should take the time to revisit some of his films, particularly Red River, The Searchers and John Ford's Cavalry trilogy. I wouldn't class him as one of the great all round actors - I agree that he had a somewhat limited range - but I would still argue that he was the greatest Western star of all time, and I'm confident that many others would agree with me on that point.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI