Leeds Film Festival 2012 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Awards and Festivals

elab49 -> Leeds Film Festival 2012 (22/9/2012 12:23:39 PM)

http://www.leedsfilm.com/

Programme comes out the 5th of October but there's been a couple of announcements so far on the retrospectives. One with Andrei Konchalovsky - who may have one of the damndest careers in cinema as writing contributor to Andrei Rublev and Ivan's CHildhood AND director of Tango and Cash (and the enjoyable Runaway Train). The other I'm hoping to see all 5 films from - 3 starring and 2 directed by Kinuya Tanaka. The starring are Ozu's Hen in the Wind and Naruse's Mother AND Sansho the Bailiff! On the big screen!

There's also some anime announced as well.

Toby Monroe -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (25/9/2012 1:52:58 PM)

Ive not paid much attention to the Leeds FF ever since they turned the old Odean into a Primark. I quite like the idea of watching a film in the City Varities theatre though. Looking at the listing they appear to be down for some zombie nonsense unfortunately. Masks might be worth a look. A homage to Suspiria apparently.

elab49 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (25/9/2012 7:58:25 PM)

There's only a couple of side strands announced at the moment - the main programme might have more there?

Is the Vue any good? They seem to use that too.

adambatman82 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (26/9/2012 1:23:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

There's only a couple of side strands announced at the moment - the main programme might have more there?

Is the Vue any good? They seem to use that too.

The Vue is actually alright. It was originally a Light cinema, so was intended to be an upmarket alternative to the multiplex experience.

Leeds also use the town hall, which is a stunning building. I was the print manager for Leeds until last year. The team behind the festival are only a small group, but they're great folk. I'll be there this year: as much as I enjoyed being a part of the team I much prefer experiencing it from the other side!

Fit Kisto -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (6/10/2012 9:49:34 AM)

The schedule is up.

The Argo gala screening, which costs £25.00 at the London Film Festival, is a much more reasonable £7.00 here. That's how you get people to come back.

elab49 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (6/10/2012 10:09:05 AM)

Ticketing is bloody annoying though. I made the mistake of getting a pass - which meant I couldn't securely order all my tickets online and now I'm stuck redialling Leeds Box Office which is either engaged or wants to put you through to an answering machine because it doesn't have a basic queuing system. I'll be here all bloody day. [:@]

elab49 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (6/10/2012 11:03:04 AM)

Got through, lovely lady, all is good with the world  - I thought I was going to be there all day.

Also sorry I won't be there Grabbers is on - would love to see that one again. Ditto Wrinkles which I missed at a fest earlier this year. A quick glance through I thought

Sightseers (which keeps reminding me of that bit at the end of Green Wing SPOILERS when Statham and Joanna headed off)
John Dies at the End
Ernest and Celestine
Post Tenebras Lux
Alps
Seven Psychopaths
North by Northwest
Django
King Kong vs Godzilla
Wolf Children
Crossways
The Golem
Hen in the Wind
Sansho the Bailiff

a chance to see War Witch for people who didn't see it on the theatrical run. Looks like that's a likely Oscar contender.

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (15/10/2012 1:17:06 PM)

quote:

Got through, lovely lady, all is good with the world  - I thought I was going to be there all day.

Also sorry I won't be there Grabbers is on - would love to see that one again. Ditto Wrinkles which I missed at a fest earlier this year. A quick glance through I thought

Sightseers (which keeps reminding me of that bit at the end of Green Wing SPOILERS when Statham and Joanna headed off)
John Dies at the End
Ernest and Celestine
Post Tenebras Lux
Alps
Seven Psychopaths
North by Northwest
Django
King Kong vs Godzilla
Wolf Children
Crossways
The Golem
Hen in the Wind
Sansho the Bailiff

a chance to see War Witch for people who didn't see it on the theatrical run. Looks like that's a likely Oscar contender.

Gotta say I like the sound of the films I've highlighted on your list.

I'm also thinking of seeing the following:
Argo
Maniac
Electric Man
Anime Day

If you haven't been before, I'd recommend seeing a film at the town hall, great venue (bit echo-y but you get used to it).

Its a shame there are no noticeable Chinese/Korean/Japanese crime thrillers this year though, I really loved Yellow Sea last year at the festival.

elab49 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (15/10/2012 1:28:37 PM)

I think Let The Bullets Fly was on last year as well? But yes - one of my favourite areas but there's not at the festival this year. Pity as there's been a couple of massive South Korean domestic hits this year that could travel.  

Seven Psychopaths is on at the Town Hall I think.

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (15/10/2012 3:31:08 PM)

Yeah, Let Bullets Fly was definately on as I went to see it. Wasn't that keen on the film though to be honest.

elab49 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (15/10/2012 7:36:13 PM)

I recommend Grabbers, the Irish monster movie, too. Great fun. 

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (16/10/2012 9:30:53 AM)

Nice, I'll put that on my list too.

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (16/10/2012 8:47:34 PM)

quote:

I think Let The Bullets Fly was on last year as well? But yes - one of my favourite areas but there's not at the festival this year. Pity as there's been a couple of massive South Korean domestic hits this year that could travel.  

Seven Psychopaths is on at the Town Hall I think.

And what might they be, Elab?

elab49 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (16/10/2012 9:38:58 PM)

There's been a couple of massively successful heist films - The Thieves and The Grand Heist. I'd like to see the new Kim Myung-Min film Deranged, another big hit. And the 2nd biggest film of the year over there is Lee Byung-Hun in a loose adaptation of Prince and the Pauper.

What seems to be coming over are Nameless Gangster, which is a horrendous mess of a film that even Choi Min-Sik can't rescue (although he is great), and Doomsday Book, probably because Kim Ji-Won is involved, and provides the best segment.

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (28/10/2012 7:04:27 PM)

So, got my tickets for the Leeds Film Festival:

Argo (opening night of festival)
Sightseers
Seven Psychopaths
Grabbers
Anime Day

Anyone else going to the festival? and if so what are you going to see?

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (2/11/2012 9:36:14 AM)

Gonna do a bit of a rating for the films I'll be attending at the festival:

Argo (opening night of festival) - 4.5/5 (edge of the seat, tense thriller with some humour (at the hands of Arkin & Goodman) thrown in to lighten the tone. Affleck is proving to be a master film maker)
Sightseers - 5/5 (Extremely funny dark comedy with fine performances from Steve Oram and Alice Lowe. Hilarious and brutal at times but very entertaining).
Seven Psychopaths 4/5
Grabbers 4/5
Ernest & Celestine 3.5/5
Anime Day
Asura 5/5
Wolf Children 4/5
Tiger & Bunny 3.5/5
Berserk Part 1 & 2 4.5/5

elab49 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (5/11/2012 8:39:48 PM)

Ernest and Celestine is currently the audience favourite and deservedly so. If you can catch the rerun on Sat I recommend.
Surprised John Dies at the End wasn't in the top5. Supernatural on crack, bits of Dr Who. Insane and very funny and everything
I hoped the follow up to Bubba HoTep would be.

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (6/11/2012 12:28:51 AM)

think i might try catch Ernest and Celestine before Grabbers on saturday

elab49 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (6/11/2012 9:55:00 AM)

That is a hell of a double bill! (And a great couple of films)

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (11/11/2012 1:58:23 AM)

Went to see Ernest & Celestine before Grabbers. Was nicely animated and the film oozed charm. Funny in places too but I would say it was nowhere near in the same class as Belleville Rendezvous or The Illusionist. Currently my favourite film so far is Sightseers but I have the anime day yet to come and I might try and sneak in John Dies At The End next week.

elab49 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (11/11/2012 8:48:55 AM)

I'd put it above Illusionist but absolutely, Belleville is almost in a class of its own.

I really want to see John Dies at the End again - it's one of those films where you want to go back to the start and watch over once it's finished.

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (12/11/2012 8:56:57 PM)

Well what a festival its been (for me anyway), other than the possibility of going to see John Dies At The End on Sunday I think that will be my all. Highlights for me were Asura, Sightseers and Argo.

Argo (opening night of festival) - 4.5/5
Sightseers - 5/5
Seven Psychopaths 4/5
Grabbers 4/5
Ernest & Celestine 3.5/5
Anime Day
Asura 5/5
Wolf Children 4/5
Tiger & Bunny 3.5/5
Berserk Part 1 & 2 4.5/5

elab49 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (12/11/2012 9:31:31 PM)

Your Asura rave has me adding it to my must sees along with Wolf Children [:)]

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (12/11/2012 9:47:03 PM)

They're polar opposites in terms of content but Asura had me hooked from the beginning. I felt so much empathy for this little boy who'd been abandoned as a baby and had to turn to canibilism to survive on his own. Anti Miyazaki as opposed to:

Wolf Children which is great too. If you like Miyazaki, you'll love this.

elab49 -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (12/11/2012 9:57:25 PM)

I really like the director's last film, Summer Wars, although not The Girl Who Leapt Through Time so much. 

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Leeds Film Festival 2012 (16/11/2012 2:47:00 PM)

Off to the opening night of Olly Moss' art exhibition as part of the Leeds International Film Festival tonight. Does anyone have any ideas of questions they'd like to ask him as he will be in attendance? I'll act as your avatar!

Olly Moss

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI