when actors go to DVD! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

mclane1 -> when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 5:31:04 PM)

Ive noticed more and more big famous actors seem to be drifting direct to DVD, has anyone else noticed? and also when did it happen and why?

those the stick out for me are:

Adrian Brody seemed to be around the time of predators, a few dvd releases of which i forget the names but one hes in a prison doing an experiment, one stranded in a car wreck and it looks like the new teacher one may go the same way.

Robert de Niro- started before Rightous Kill and has continued off and on, hes even in a direct to netflix one and his cinema stuff has generally been bad choices of late

Richard Gere, seemed to be after Mothman Prophecies and now as far as im aware just DVD after DVD

Edward Norton i think is heading that way?

not that its the end of the world i guess, Cain and Hackman both went that way in the 80's but came back fighting.

its probably just bad script choices, you can tell aswell that these movies were aimed at cinema releases by high production values, also its a dead giveway when 25 distributers are named at the beginning of the movie to get the thing released at all.
maybe hollywood is just churning out too many movies to fit in the cinemas?

any thoughts? any other obvious actors you can think of?

oh and i apologise for any terrible spelling and grammar, not my strong point :)

vad3r -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 8:13:30 PM)

[image]http://db3.stb.s-msn.com/i/2F/2C7ABDD41665C41D5A41E68135.jpg[/image]

All downhill from there.

mclane1 -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 8:41:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

[image]http://db3.stb.s-msn.com/i/2F/2C7ABDD41665C41D5A41E68135.jpg[/image]

All downhill from there.

Shit yeah! Forgot Cuba bless him, straight to DVD master! What's that all about?

adambatman82 -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 9:26:56 PM)

I saw Ray Liotta in Killing Them Softly today, and one of my first thoughts was "Wow, Ray Liotta in a cinema".

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 10:28:44 PM)

Stallone went that way but is back in theatres now. He was smart and revived some of his more popular franchises.

The REAL Bozz -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 10:35:48 PM)

I read an artcile last week and it stated it's not so much the 'stars' that dictate what goes DTV now. The idea of 'stars' is fading anyway, it's more the the cost of promoteing a film. If the film's promotion costs is gonna pretty much cost the same amount of money as the films actual budget they won't bother and instead just toss it DTV. Hence the slew of Bruce Willis titles going DTV at the moment. That action one he had out over here a few months back, with Weaver and Cavill has gone DTV in the states.

vad3r -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 10:45:14 PM)

[image]http://www.frontroomcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Val-Kilmer.jpg[/image]

adambatman82 -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 11:11:19 PM)

I like how it plays on his two best known performances. "Furious vengeance" indeed.

[image]http://www.movievortex.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Fury-DVD-783x1024.jpg[/image]

vad3r -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 11:16:33 PM)

[image]http://www.ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/011111WesleySnipes.jpg[/image]

Biggus -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 11:29:16 PM)

quote:

[image]http://www.ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/011111WesleySnipes.jpg[/image]

Bless poor Wesley Snipes. I'm currently writing a piece for my website about him and his journey from 'next big thing' to straight-to-DVD ignominy and subsequently prison. What a waste of talent.

MonsterCat -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 11:33:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I like how it plays on his two best known performances. "Furious vengeance" indeed.

[image]http://www.movievortex.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Fury-DVD-783x1024.jpg[/image]

I'm guessing someone duped him into making the movie by telling him it's a Nick Fury film and that's why he looks so annoyed.

vad3r -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (21/9/2012 11:56:56 PM)

He looks annoyed because the director told him he's going to say 'motherfucker' 27 times and he signed on thinking it was only going to be 4.

adambatman82 -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (22/9/2012 12:58:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

I'm guessing someone duped him into making the movie by telling him it's a Nick Fury film and that's why he looks so annoyed.

Rather cynically the film was retitled Fury for this DVD release, which was the Monday prior to The Avengers opening. It's known as The Samaritan elsewhere.

CLICK

Shifty Bench -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (22/9/2012 10:08:38 AM)

quote:

Except, one of them is a game, not a movie.

adambatman82 -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (22/9/2012 10:36:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Which one?

MonsterCat -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (22/9/2012 10:36:27 AM)

quote:

So Snipes is now making films with titles that refer to his character's vocation?

Coming soon to a Shell petrol station bargain bin near you, Wesley Snipes is... THE PLUMBER!

Shifty Bench -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (22/9/2012 4:17:20 PM)

quote:

quote:

Which one?

Really? [:-]

Julius Styles is a game for the iPad and iPhone- click

Whistler -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (23/9/2012 8:48:25 AM)

Ed Norton's not really going that way. Just this year he's been in Moonrise Kingdom and The Bourne Legacy.

adambatman82 -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (23/9/2012 12:38:23 PM)

quote:

My sincerest apologies for not being as well versed in the oeuvre of Wesley Snipes as thee. [8|]

Drone -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (23/9/2012 5:43:23 PM)

What's Al Pacino up to these days? I stopped being interested in him and DeNiro when they just seemed to give up on their passion for acting and jumped on the whole Dustin Hoffman let's just enjoy getting old and paid for doing easy shit bandwagon

Shifty Bench -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (23/9/2012 5:52:08 PM)

quote:

quote:

My sincerest apologies for not being as well versed in the oeuvre of Wesley Snipes as thee. [8|]

I've never played the game or watched any of his DTV films, I just thought that going by the picture above it was really obviously a game. Especially as it looked nothing like the other covers and the fact that it was illustrated rather than an actual photo of Snipes. I didn't know it was a game until I checked on a hunch, so I must just have a good eye for those things. My apologies if this means you are less of a man than me or whatever. [sm=augen14.gif]

Whistler -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (24/9/2012 3:35:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone

What's Al Pacino up to these days?

Jack and Jilling.. [&o]

Although he has Stan Up Guys coming out soon with Alan Arkin and Christopher Walken, could be good.

Sutty -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (24/9/2012 2:30:02 PM)

quote:

[image]http://www.frontroomcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Val-Kilmer.jpg[/image]

He on maternity leave? Looks like he could drop any day now!

great_badir -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (25/9/2012 1:21:45 PM)

Straight to DVD these days is not quite the cesspit of embarrassment as straight to video in the 80s and 90s.

It's basically quick and easy work for the actors and therefore a quick and easy payday. Straight to DVD stuff now has a pretty good and loyal audience, so most stuff that gets released makes an easy profit without having to worry about the millions spent on promotion (as Bozz said above) and getting it into the competitive cinema circuit. Just look at Steven Seagal - makes three or four straight to DVD films a year, probably works less and gets more money doing that than he ever did at the "top" of his career, which means he gets more time to take his band on tour. Which is, obviously, A BONUS for us...[sm=whistle.gif]

A B or C list straight to DVD genre flick is pretty much guaranteed to turn a half decent profit (it's very unusual for straight to DVD stuff to do very badly due to the much lower overheads, although it does happen every now and again - Zyzzyx Road is a good example), compared with a mainstream cinema blockbuster which can still go down like a turd sandwich.

Straight to DVD is effectively safe for all involved, which is why so many established actors either dip their toes or end up in it.

Shifty Bench -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (25/9/2012 4:27:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir
Just look at Steven Seagal - makes three or four straight to DVD films a year,

Technically, he doesn't. The last few have been episodes of his TV show put together and released as movies rather than releasing the show as a whole boxset. And I think that is only in the UK because suckers here still buy or rent his DTV stuff. He did Machete and a DTV feature in 2010, then no films until one he's got coming up this year where he co-stars with Stone Cold Steve Austin. Put it in your diaries, folks [:D]

MonsterCat -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (25/9/2012 4:38:04 PM)

Steven Seagal has to be one of the most boring actors (using that term advisedly) on the planet. I mean, people like Schwarzenegger and Stallone are not all that great either, but at least they have a commanding screen presence and some charisma. Seagal has... nothing.

It's astounding to me that this guy worked on high-profile Joel Silver action films and had a relatively successful career.

jcthefirst -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (25/9/2012 4:40:56 PM)

quote:

Steven Seagal has to be one of the most boring actors (using that term advisedly) on the planet. I mean, people like Schwarzenegger and Stallone are not all that great either, but at least they have a commanding screen presence and some charisma. Seagal has... nothing.

It's astounding to me that this guy worked on high-profile Joel Silver action films and had a relatively successful career.

Agreed. I remember watching Machete and thinking, 'Whoa, Seagal doesn't even try anymore.' But then thought, 'hang on, he never really did.'

vad3r -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (25/9/2012 4:43:59 PM)

This is the best thing Seagal has ever been involved in:

[image]http://www.picshag.com/pics/112009/steven-seagal-emotion-chart.jpg[/image]

My favourite one is wistful. What's yours?

Shifty Bench -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (25/9/2012 4:46:44 PM)

quote:

Indeed. I enjoy most of his early films for the OTT violence and cheese but he doesn't even try to act.

Scott_ -> RE: when actors go to DVD! (25/9/2012 6:19:39 PM)

Out for Justice is amazing so you can all shut up. [:D]

Nah, 1988-1996 is all good, anything after that is shite. Dolph Lundgren's DVD stuff is pretty good though, it may just be the fanboy in me but I've enjoyed most of what I've seen. JCVD has some pretty decent ones too. Universal Soldier: Regeneration is probably the best straight to DVD action film you can get, it pisses over most of the stuff that gets a Cinema release.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02