DREDD (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films

Cool Breeze -> DREDD (14/9/2012 12:20:01 PM)

It only took 35 years or so but we finally got a proper screen adaptation of Judge Dredd released in the cinemas.Thankfully making up for the disaster that was 1995's Stallone version, DREDD is a no holds barred futuristic action movie that is thankfully uncompromising in its approach.No pg-13 kid friendliness here.The film is a welcome throwback to the big screen actioners of the 70s and 80s when the likes of Paul Verhoeven and John Carpenter did their best work.Karl Urban is excellent as Judge Dredd, an uncompromising and ruthless lawman in the future city of mega city one.Trapped inside a tower block with his rookie in training Cassie Anderson by the villainess Ma Ma.Dredd and Anderson fight their way out using the most brutal means possible.Comparisons have been made to The Raid but i think this is a much more effective action movie given its superb visual design,clever script,and excellent perfomances from the leads.

[image]http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/screencrush.com/files/2012/07/dredd-movie-review.jpg[/image]

Some have criticised the films low budget which means that a lot of Dredds unique world from the comics is not really seen.I think thats unfair as this was a risky project to get off the ground given the films harsh content which may make it commercially a hard sell.Thats the price you pay for getting this character right and Alex Garland and his production team have got it so right with this film.Despite the films relatively low budget (for a comic book flick) their is a lot to enjoy in Dredd visually.Ma Ma and her goons attacking Dredd and Anderson with multiple gatling guns is a particular stand out.Im no fan of 3D but their are a handful of scenes that really benefit from it.I do look forward to seeing it again on regular blu ray soon though.

[image]http://moviecarpet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/dredd-movie-image-593x390.jpg[/image]

One of the best comic book adaptations ever in my opinion and heres hoping that it does well enough at the box office so we get a few bigger budgeted sequels.Id love to see maybe The Apocalypse War in DREDD 2 and maybe have the ultimate confrontation with Dredds nemesis, Judge Death in DREDD 3.

sharkboy -> RE: DREDD (14/9/2012 2:31:37 PM)

I have to admit, I went into Dredd with relatively low expectations despite the initial buzz.  There was something just a bit, well, cheap, about the movie - low budget, little or no attempt to make the place look like the futuristic megalopolis from the comic - but, in the end, the things that worried me turned out to be some of the movie's redeeming features.

OK, so we'd no flying cars, robots or skyways.  Instead, by focusing on the social chaos of such a huge place, we never even got out of the slums, which made Dredd's comment about how ineffectual the judges actually were at controlling crime all the more poignant.  And I suppose that Peach Trees was a fair portrayal of what happens when you stack thousands of society's lost 200 stories high, then forget about them.

I'm not even going to start on the comparisons with The Raid as it's already been acknowledged that both movies went into production about the same time and lets face it, neither were the first movie to play the outnumbered, trapped hero card.  Instead, let's look at what it achieved for a minimal budget.  After a summer of superhero giants, Dredd was expected to be little more than a sideshow.  Instead it showed that you don't need a bazillion dollars to make a decent adaptation. And special kudos to the producers and directors for not opting for the 12A or 15 certificate and instead giving us Dredd in all his trigger-happy glory!

Nexus Wookie -> RE: DREDD (14/9/2012 2:41:36 PM)

Excellent review Cool Breeze! I was planning on going to see it on Wednesday (past) but had to change plans as my little girl was really ill. Family comes first! But hopefully i'll see it in the next few days. If I miss this at the theatres then I know I will regret it for the rest of my life! (just as I did and still do for missing The Dark Knight at the cinema[&:])

Cool Breeze -> RE: DREDD (14/9/2012 3:21:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Excellent review Cool Breeze! I was planning on going to see it on Wednesday (past) but had to change plans as my little girl was really ill. Family comes first! But hopefully i'll see it in the next few days. If I miss this at the theatres then I know I will regret it for the rest of my life! (just as I did and still do for missing The Dark Knight at the cinema[&:])

Sorry to hear that ur little girl was ill Nexus, hope she's feeling better by now.Do indeed see Dredd if you can at the cinema, it's well worth it!

Nexus Wookie -> RE: DREDD (14/9/2012 3:42:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

Sorry to hear that ur little girl was ill Nexus, hope she's feeling better by now.Do indeed see Dredd if you can at the cinema, it's well worth it!

Thanks mate. She's much better now thankfully. And yes I will hopefully catch Dredd at the cinema very soon and report back with my findings here![:)]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: DREDD (14/9/2012 11:19:18 PM)

I really don't want Dark Judges or aliens or any of that crazy stuff in the next two films. What I love about this Dredd was the fact that it was planted pretty firmly in a "real" world. Like the Wire taken to an extreme.

I would much perfer sequels to be maintained at that level. No massive city wide storylines, so dimensional beings...just a cop trying to do the best job he can in a city where justice is falling apart.

gunstar -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 12:25:05 AM)

Have to agree with this. Judge Death would be fucking awful.

There are enough excellent street-level stories from the comics to be going along with without introducing fantasy elements that would, in no way, fit in with the reality already established in the first film.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 8:42:30 AM)

Am off to see this this afternoon at the giant screen in Birmingham, really looking forward to it!

Cool Breeze -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 11:38:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

There are enough excellent street-level stories from the comics to be going along with without introducing fantasy elements that would, in no way, fit in with the reality already established in the first film.

Completely disagree.It would be ridiculous to have a series of Dredd movies and not have Judge Death in there.Hes Dredds greatest enemy! It would be like not having the Joker in the Batman movies.

It would seem that they have Judge Death in mind to appear at some point given that they included Anderson and her PSI abilities in this movie.Every Dredd fan knows how important she is to the Judge Death arc in the comics.And the director has already stated in interviews that they would have Death appear in a third instalment as the ultimate confrontation for Dredd.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 11:47:12 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

Completely disagree.It would be ridiculous to have a series of Dredd movies and not have Judge Death in there.Hes Dredds greatest enemy! It would be like not having the Joker in the Batman movies.

It would seem that they have Judge Death in mind to appear at some point given that they included Anderson and her PSI abilities in this movie.Every Dredd fan knows how important she is to the Judge Death arc in the comics.And the director has already stated in interviews that they would have Death appear in a third instalment as the ultimate confrontation for Dredd.

Slightly disagree,I think PJ Maybe is Dredds most villainous enemy and one I think will be better incorporated into ,hopefully,future Dredd films.

ky -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 12:06:58 PM)

Being a big fan of Dredd (and the whole 2000AD gang), I really, really want to see this, but I'm a tad worried that the violence might be a bit too extreme for me. On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being Robocop or Total Recall, 5 being some utter shit like Hostel or the Saw films), how would you guys rate it?

Understand this might be an odd question, just don't want to pay 10 quid to watch it only to feel deeply uncomfortable throughout! If the violence is mostly just Dredd blowing away scumbags, that's great, but I've heard people get skinned alive in this, which might put me right off.

Appreciate any feedback!

Cool Breeze -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 5:30:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ky

Being a big fan of Dredd (and the whole 2000AD gang), I really, really want to see this, but I'm a tad worried that the violence might be a bit too extreme for me. On a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being Robocop or Total Recall, 5 being some utter shit like Hostel or the Saw films), how would you guys rate it?

Understand this might be an odd question, just don't want to pay 10 quid to watch it only to feel deeply uncomfortable throughout! If the violence is mostly just Dredd blowing away scumbags, that's great, but I've heard people get skinned alive in this, which might put me right off.

Appreciate any feedback!

Dredd is a violent film but i would say its not as extreme as even Robocop and Total Recall.Most of the violence happens to baddies who deserve it and while there is a scene where a few innocents get skinned, the actual skinning takes place off screen ( though we do see the grisly results when Dredd and Anderson come across their bodies ).

Basically if you enjoy the likes of Die Hard, Predator, and Robocop you should have a fun time with this.Though see it in in 2D if you can.

Vadersville -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 6:53:29 PM)

quote:

quote:

Appreciate any feedback!

Dredd is a violent film but i would say its not as extreme as even Robocop and Total Recall.Most of the violence happens to baddies who deserve it and while there is a scene where a few innocents get skinned, the actual skinning takes place off screen ( though we do see the grisly results when Dredd and Anderson come across their bodies ).

Basically if you enjoy the likes of Die Hard, Predator, and Robocop you should have a fun time with this.Though see it in in 2D if you can.

Completley disagree. Dredd is one of the few films I have seen that utilise 3D well, especially the "Slo-Mo" sequences. Definitley one for 3D. I also am genuinelly baffled by the repeat of the Avengers complaint that it was too dark in 3D. Both films were fine and looked superb in my local cinema.

ky -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 7:13:54 PM)

Hi Cool Breeze, cheers for the reply, told me everything I needed to know! Really appreciate it.

Definitely going to see this soon, then - bought the new Judge Dredd Megazine earlier, felt very excited just looking through the interviews and concept art.

I'd prefer to see it in 2D, but doubt my local cinema offers that choice!

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 9:11:07 PM)

Saw this earlier. One word: AWESOME!!!! Loved it so much! I think i fell in love with Olivia Thirlby too during this movie. I thought she was cute in The Darkest Hour but she was smoking in this! Great violence and action and a really cool turn by Urban as Dredd. Loved Lena headley's villain too. Let's hope this is a big success and paves the way for more adult action movies. Would love a sequel where they can open the canvas a bit to see more of the megacity

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 9:26:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

quote:

Appreciate any feedback!

Completley disagree. Dredd is one of the few films I have seen that utilise 3D well, especially the "Slo-Mo" sequences. Definitley one for 3D. I also am genuinelly baffled by the repeat of the Avengers complaint that it was too dark in 3D. Both films were fine and looked superb in my local cinema.

I concur. The 3D was spectacular in this, loved it. Those slow mo scenes were something else, so so awesome!

Cool Breeze -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 10:32:44 PM)

The 3D was only effective in a small handful of scenes, besides that it only had the effect of making the picture so dark that one of my eyes was slightly bloodshot from eye strain after the show.

So yeah I'm looking forward to watching it the normal way when it hits Blu ray.

Vadersville -> RE: DREDD (15/9/2012 10:41:21 PM)

quote:

The 3D was only effective in a small handful of scenes, besides that it only had the effect of making the picture so dark that one of my eyes was slightly bloodshot from eye strain after the show.

Where are you going to watch 3D films? Either somewhere with a shockingly bad projecor or you just have terrible eyesight. The 3D where I watched it didn't make the picture any darker or less clear. It enhanced the experience ten fold!

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: DREDD (16/9/2012 2:35:58 AM)

quote:

quote:

Where are you going to watch 3D films? Either somewhere with a shockingly bad projecor or you just have terrible eyesight. The 3D where I watched it didn't make the picture any darker or less clear. It enhanced the experience ten fold!

The 3D in this was, for me, by far the best I've seen. It worked wonders in the slo-mo sections, looked fine at all others times, wasn't blurry and didn't leave me with a headache - first time yet! But I do agree with Cool Breeze, everything was so dark.

Brilliant film though!

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: DREDD (16/9/2012 12:03:55 PM)

Is DREDD-3D the official title?

I suppose they'll chop-off the 3D element of the title for people who don't own such devices when this film is eventually released for DVD/Blue-Ray purchase,but knowing how things are marketed nowadays it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.

Vadersville -> RE: DREDD (16/9/2012 1:30:19 PM)

Drive Angry 3D lost the 3D off the title when it was released on DVD...

Cool Breeze -> RE: DREDD (17/9/2012 9:27:37 PM)

quote:

quote:

I dont want this thread derailed into another '' 3D sucks/rocks'' debate but 3D makes the picture over a third less brighter than normal film.That combined with the fact that Dredd is a dark looking movie anyway made the 3D rather hard on my eyes during most of the film.It doesnt help that i wear glasses anyway so putting 3D specs on in front of them i find rather awkward.

But back to the film itself.I really liked the black humour in it.One of my favourite scenes is where Dredd,Anderson,and the perp they have prisoner are in the elevator.Anderson reads the perps thoughts....

Dredd: '' What is it rookie? ''

Anderson: '' Hes thinking about going for your gun ''

( A few quiet seconds pass where no one says a word )

Anderson: '' Hes changed his mind ''.

[:D]

Vadersville -> RE: DREDD (18/9/2012 11:22:04 AM)

That scene was great, but you missed out Dredd's simple reply of "Yeah" each time!

I also liked:

Dredd: "I was wondering when you'd realise you left your helmet behind."

Anderson: "A helmet can interfere with my psychic abilities."

Dredd: "A bullet might interfere with them more."

Happy Shrapnel -> RE: DREDD (18/9/2012 11:30:36 AM)

Great movie !!!!! Loved it !!!!!!
4/5

Nexus Wookie -> RE: DREDD (19/9/2012 4:32:20 PM)

Woohoo! Just at the cinema now! 10 minutes to go until Dredd mayhem! Can't wait![:)]

Cool Breeze -> RE: DREDD (19/9/2012 5:28:51 PM)

quote:

Woohoo! Just at the cinema now! 10 minutes to go until Dredd mayhem! Can't wait![:)]

Oi! You! Turn off that phone! Youre not supposed to have that on in here!

Nexus Wookie -> RE: DREDD (19/9/2012 7:24:49 PM)

quote:

quote:

Oi! You! Turn off that phone! Youre not supposed to have that on in here!

[:D]
Wow! I cant remember the last time I watched such a ultra-kick ass, ultra-violent, no holds barred, unrelenting, visually exciting film like this one at the cinema before! More to follow soon - after i've composed myself!

Nexus Wookie -> RE: DREDD (20/9/2012 12:16:57 AM)

DREDD (2012)

**Spoilers**

What a thrill ride! Visceral, bloody, depraved, beautiful (yes beautiful!), but most of all - awesome! Right from the offset from that thrilling opening Lawmaster/ car chase, to the closing scenes of Ma Ma's face getting beautifully splattered on the screen - I was on the edge of my seat, gripping my arm rest like a maniac. I was utterly thrilled, immersed into this nightmarish vision of Mega City, filled with crime, disease and decay.

It was like Judge Dredd in The City of God.

The action and violence was unrelenting. No flinching from the brutality of it, but made strangely beautiful by the drug induced slo-mo scenes. And for those scenes alone, the choice of 3D was the right choice. You cannot view it any other way. It is visually arresting. Look at the scene of Ma-Ma in the bath, the water droplets dancing like minature planets in orbit, enhanced further by that beautiful, uplifting music - visual poetry. Who would've expected to see such beauty in an 'action' flick?

Karl Urban was brilliant as Dredd - his gruff one liners, and ''yeah''s reminded me of Eastwood. The decision to keep his helmet on at all times (save the begining - and even then we don't see his face as it's obscured by shadow) is a good choice. It makes the character more mysterious and harken's back to the comics - we even get Karl Urban grimacing like Dredd - he gets the character down to a T. Karl Urban's Dredd is totally kick-ass as opposed to Stallone's limp dick Dredd! He is coolness personified. Check out the look on Ma Ma's face when Dredd - after taking a whole floor out to kill Dredd with their firepower - emerges unscathed from the smoke and cooly throws a baddie over the side! The look on her face shows that she has totally underestimated Dredd. And Dredd is not a man - he is The Law!

Olivia Thirlby as the rookie Anderson was superb and a joy to watch . I don't think i've seen her prior, but what a great choice she was for this role (I wont lie when I say i've fallen in love with her!) And her psychic abilities are awesome to say the least - especially in one stand out scene with the goon they're transporting. How cool was that?! And Lena Headey? This is quite possibly the best role she has played. I believed her as a ruthless, methodical, no bullshit, head of a drug empire. Her criminal persona like a flip side to Dredd's upholding of law. She was perfect for this role and by the end, I even had a little sympathy for her because she was a product of her environment. (the new Judge Dredd Megazine has a brilliant comic story showing her life before she became the notorious drug lord).

Regarding the look of the film, Pete Travis captures the sprawling vision of Mega City with its massive block rising up to the sky like rows of concrete colussus' brilliantly. A concrete jungle - a chilling look into the future, a future wherin over-population, crime, decay run rampant. And the scenes of a skate boarding ramp hundreds of kilometres up in the middle of the sky-scraper showed the insanity of it all. I think his decision to shoot the film in South Africa brought an air of believability to the whole film.

I loved the music (by Paul Leonard-Morgan) for the film too, and thought it complemented the film perfectly. Especially in those tense action scenes.

Finally Judge Dredd has a film worthy of his legendary name! I admit there are a few minor quibbles, the film's low budget does show in some places, but in a way it makes it more gritty and real. And therefore the experience was more thrilling, than if it were a big budget film. And of course with bigger budget comes the pressure to dial down the violence - compromising the directors vision in the process. In an age where the whole film industry is filled with 12 rated fodder - Dredd is a breath of fresh air. I wish Dredd becomes a success, and hopefully it can signal a change for Hollywood to make more comic-book/ science-fiction/ action film's for adult's. As for Dredd, I really hope we get a sequel. The Dredd universe is so rich that the possibilties are endless - Judge Dredd kicking ass on Cursed Earth? Now there's a film I would gladly go pay to see.

DREDD 4/5

Zaphod121 -> RE: DREDD (20/9/2012 10:24:32 AM)

"Hey, freeze!"
"...why?"
"What?"
"Why?"

Absolutely loved this, really enjoyed how grounded it was, like an ultra violent police movie just set in the future. Definitely want to see it again. Hope we get sequel.

The REAL Bozz -> RE: DREDD (20/9/2012 12:10:46 PM)

I really enjoyed it. I hope it manages to get a sequel but I suspect it's gonna bomb in the U.S.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI