Full Lincoln Trailer Online (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Full Lincoln Trailer Online (14/9/2012 3:39:05 AM)

Post your comments on this article

pythonlove -> The Voice Is A Little Startling... (14/9/2012 3:39:05 AM)

But looks good. I'm there.

VwikusM -> The voice is perfect. (14/9/2012 10:22:06 AM)

It's well documented that Lincoln had a screechy, high voice, and i was worried they would forget that.

Good to see it is faithful in that respect.

Mad Dog Tannen -> What's disappointing is that ... (14/9/2012 10:24:47 AM)

... it looks like a trailer mashup of War Horse and Amistad. The three pretty much look interchangeable. Hope the film is better than this 'For Your Consideration' trailer suggests.

leroythemasochist -> wonderous (14/9/2012 10:29:39 AM)

not just the trailer - and no doubt the rest of the movie - but the immaculate timing...
Released in November in the US.
What else is happening this November in America?
That's right, an election.
There's another big issue in America today, about setting one section of the society free. Read a newspaper if you wanna know who - this is a movie comments page. I ain't gettin on no soapbox!
But this film will be one of Spielberg's greatest. He IS the greatest director the world has known, he can make movies about dinosaurs and movies about humans, movies about spaceships and movies about soldiers, and horses. And archaeologists...

alakabaz -> Looks great (14/9/2012 11:37:25 AM)

Gave me chills, could be another classic from the master

eamonn_finn -> Wank (14/9/2012 11:49:54 AM)

Looks over dramatised and rose-tinted. I read Lincolns biography and there are a lot of real stories and complicated politics going on at the time involving lots of deeply flawed people - including Lincoln himself.

I know Americans look on the man as a saint, but the real person was more complicated and the people of those times had very different mindsets than now. I am concerned that Spielberg is giving us the usual 'Man overcoming adversity - while set to a stirring soundtrack" (TM) movie of the week.

Lincoln needs a movie that shows the grit not the gloss!

evild edd -> No thanks. (14/9/2012 12:23:09 PM)

Spielberg*;
DD-L;
Overplayed flag-waving American patriotism.

You can count me out of this one.

*Spielberg hasn't made a great film since....when? Perhaps 'Saving Private Ryan' back in '98, and even that's debatable given its dreadful final scene. Since then his films have been a mix of average (Catch Me If You Can, Minority Report, Tintin) and downright atrocious (Indy 4, War Horse). To think that back in '93 he released two movie greats in the same year: Jurassic Park & Schindler's List. How the mighty has fallen.

alex2303 -> concerns (14/9/2012 1:14:27 PM)

little concerned that this film may portray Lincoln as someone who believed in abolition because all men are equal. In reality he thought black people were inferior to and had no place among white Americans, abolition was a political maneuver to appease cabinet members and other political groups. Also I reckon this is going to be sickeningly schmaltzy.

mrjingles75 -> Weak trailer... (14/9/2012 2:24:12 PM)

Aside from the undeniably good cinematography from Janusz Kaminski and the efforts of Spielbergs usual collaborators this is a dull and disappointing trailer. Lets just hope the actual film doesn't depend entirely on production values and the acting talent of Day-Lewis.

HighwayJoe -> The Power of Myth (14/9/2012 2:55:58 PM)

Another mythologizing "epic" portraying Lincoln as a saintly man whose stance on Abolitionism was principally and only based on personal, moral values and not on the political reasons that actually lead to his final decision. But, well, there is an election coming, and along comes Mr Spielberg with a movie whose main theme seems to be the Constitution and the right/need to amend it.

But I dunno... There's a term they use in BBC Radio 5 about "movies advertised on the side of buses" and how this usually means the studios don't think they'll do very well. I think movies with "Academy Award Winning..." before nearly every name in the cast carries its own meaning: Here comes some overblown, pompous, schmaltzy "prestige" picture! My heart-strings are out-tugged, I'm afraid.

GFoley83 -> Greatest actor alive today (14/9/2012 11:32:56 PM)

Is DDL. Just give him the Oscar now and be done with it. Not sold on the movie yet though . Spielberg has been very hit and miss in recent years me for me.

And for the love of God Empire, get rid of that stupid fucking cookie announcement; it's a serious pain in the hole on a mobile browser.

leroythemasochist -> i'm not gonna start an argument... (15/9/2012 8:49:58 AM)

when you think this is a movie about a Republican president and Spielberg is a well-known Democrat and he's releasing this in election year you start to see what's happening.
Some have said that it's all very straightforward but that couldn't be further from the truth. I reckon this is Spielberg saying 'look, this was a good - if flawed - man who took a stance and did something that needed to be done. Certainly he did it for political reasons and not just because it was the moral thing to do but that's politicians for ya. I said I wasn't going to do a soap box thing before but whatever! Obama's doing the same for same sex marriage right now. He knows he can get lots more untapped voters and he also knows its the right thing to do. And that's what this movie is also about, it's about saying when ya gotta do something, ya just do it. Like all those bands at Live Aid. You think they all did it to save the starving kids?? No, they did it to get massive record sales and to fill up the karma reserves. It's what happens in the world sadly.
Lincoln is about so much more than just a bloke in a big hat setting an oppressed people free. It's about politics and political decisions and how they are made. Kennedy wasn't a saint, he was a adulterous, pill loving guy who did believe in better but who used his influence to get to the top. but he was a leader. I real charismatic individual that America and the world needed. Sadly, others thought not.
OK, so people say this is Oscar-bait, maybe but so what? You could just have lots of crap about superheroes I guess...
I'm not gonna defend other movies by Spielberg that people think are crap. For me, it's much more than that. The first film of his I saw in the cinema was Jaws in 76 on a re release and thankfully he's been making great movies all my life. I think if you saw them as a kid at the time, you feel differently about the characters and stories. What I'm saying is, please don't diss Mr Spielberg. Or Dr Jones.

burtbondy -> Typical Spielbag Schmaltz (15/9/2012 10:17:51 AM)

Surprise people someday, and make something different. It looks like another Warhorse to me. I'll watch this only for DDL.

ChicksHands -> That was not good. (15/9/2012 12:10:51 PM)

I fell asleep watching that.

UTB -> RE: That was not good. (16/9/2012 1:06:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChicksHands

I fell asleep watching that.

It was a bit yawnsome.

DanTDavies -> RE: That was not good. (17/9/2012 1:55:11 PM)

couldn't quite see what was going on. Too many flags waving. Couldn't hear what was going on. The sound from Spielbergs high horse seemed a bit weak.

I hate political cinema and won't be watching it.

PS anyone who compares slavery with the issue of gay marriage is seriously deluded, they're not even close to being vaguely in the same ball park.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: That was not good. (17/9/2012 2:38:41 PM)

Anyone get the sense of the trailer feeling like a parody.

Jar Jar Gabor -> RE: That was not good. (17/9/2012 6:15:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Anyone get the sense of the trailer feeling like a parody.

That's the problem when you take all the worthy, flowery, lofty or lachrymose speeches in a two hour plus film and stuff them into a two minute trailer - it has a tendency to look pompous and overblown. Spread over two hours I'm pretty sure it won't feel quite so overdramatic.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI