Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

deadman -> Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (10/9/2012 6:17:52 AM)

As I'm sure you're all aware, there are many (some might say too many) examples of foreign movies receiving an American remake. This is generally done for the same reasons that the setting of a book is often changed for its screen adaptation. To attract a broader audience.

Now, it recently came to my attention that one of my favourite films of the last decade, Sideways, received a Japanese remake a few years ago - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1236373/

[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KN2HQ29kL._SX500_.jpg[/image]

Although the film itself looks to have had a rather mixed critical reception, it got me thinking about the number of American films that are remade elsewhere. I know Bollywood does it a lot but I've never really heard of much else. It surely must though, so I was curious if anyone had any notable examples or possibly even some recommendations? I know remakes have a lot of negativity surrounding them due to their ever-growing frequency, but I've always found much to enjoy in seeing a different take on the material.

My knowledge of world cinema is weak at best so it may well occur more regularly than I am aware. It does however beg the question as to why there haven't been many particularly high-profile examples of this happening. Like I said, I would find a lot of interest in watching a remake of this kind and whilst I'm sure I'm in the minority with that sentiment, I would still have expected it to happen as it seems like it would be a relatively easy way to cash-in on a films success.

Feel free to move this to the WC section if necessary, I figured it was perhaps enough of a musing to warrant a spot here though!

elab49 -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (10/9/2012 6:58:35 AM)

Of the top of my head I can only think of Zhang Yimou's Blood Simple - all I can think of apart from that are remakes from other places (eg there's recently been a Japanese remake of Malle's Elevator to the Gallows. And a Russian remake of Breaking News.

rawlinson -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (10/9/2012 7:26:05 AM)

Turkey used to churn out a lot of remakes - Wizard of Oz, Star Trek, Star Wars, Exorcist, Spiderman

Deviation -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (10/9/2012 2:29:20 PM)

If I only had a nickel of the times I've read of a film I like being remade in any part of India, I would be filthy rich enough to buy rawlinson's mum.

Whistler -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (11/9/2012 5:56:15 AM)

Unforgiven is about to be remade in Japan.

rawlinson -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (11/9/2012 6:53:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
would be filthy rich enough to buy rawlinson's mum.

You can't afford 50 pence? Malta really that fucked?

elab49 -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (11/9/2012 8:59:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I'd forgotten that - Watanabe, isn't it?

Guys - a couple of posts into the thread and mothers? Really?

rawlinson -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (11/9/2012 9:10:04 AM)

I blame Dev'. [:D] I was happily posting about Turkish knockoffs.

Whistler -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (11/9/2012 10:20:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

I'd forgotten that - Watanabe, isn't it?

Yep, should be interesting.

BudBaxter -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (11/9/2012 11:02:40 AM)

Italian Spider-Man

Surely the greatest film ever made?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHhXukovMU

impqueen -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (11/9/2012 11:20:47 AM)

quote:

Ken Watanabe[sm=wub.gif]

Umm The Beat My Heart Skipped is a remake of Fingers.

elab49 -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (11/9/2012 11:25:18 AM)

You'd have thought I'd have remembered that one. [:)]

ElephantBoy -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (11/9/2012 4:13:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

Ken Watanabe[sm=wub.gif]

Umm The Beat My Heart Skipped is a remake of Fingers.

Never seen Fingers but is it not directed James Tolback who I consider a bit of a dick. Maybe that was his last decent film, but I love TBTMHS.

AxlReznor -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (12/9/2012 10:33:41 AM)

It's difficult to understand why anyone would bother, but there's been a Chinese remake of What Women Want. Yes... the Mel Gibson "comedy".
As far as I recall, it stars Tony Leung in the Gibson role.

EDIT: It's actually Andy Lau (I knew it was one of the Infernal Affairs cast)... starring with Gong Li! How they managed to convince those two to be in such crap, I don't know...

ElephantBoy -> RE: Foreign remakes/adaptations of American films (12/9/2012 1:15:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

It's difficult to understand why anyone would bother, but there's been a Chinese remake of What Women Want. Yes... the Mel Gibson "comedy".
As far as I recall, it stars Tony Leung in the Gibson role.

EDIT: It's actually Andy Lau (I knew it was one of the Infernal Affairs cast)... starring with Gong Li! How they managed to convince those two to be in such crap, I don't know...

But on the plus side that is a improvement almost by default.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI