A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Fluke Skywalker -> A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (2/9/2012 8:58:09 PM)

What comic book movie/ story would you like to see made which caters for comic book reading fans and does not focus on the studio bottom line and need to suck in the uninitiated?

UTB -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (2/9/2012 9:17:28 PM)

Al's Baby!

vad3r -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (2/9/2012 9:25:24 PM)

[image]http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/1D/9CD5D7D087F1C2218E4D31D1856CCB.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i56.tinypic.com/21d8o9.jpg[/image]

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (2/9/2012 10:49:37 PM)

I'm gonna have to get a hold of Y-The Last Man, got some great reviews. Also a Sandman movie is long overdue.

As for Al's Baby [:D]

[image]http://shop.2000adonline.com/images/product_full/als_baby.jpg[/image]

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (2/9/2012 10:53:16 PM)

How about Chopper from 2000AD as well, I remember reading a killer story in the Megazine years ago when he got involved in some brutal race where people were getting shot to pieces

[image]http://clzimages.com/comic/large/75/75_210287_1_JudgeDreddMegazine283.jpg[/image]

jcthefirst -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (2/9/2012 11:01:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I'm gonna have to get a hold of Y-The Last Man, got some great reviews.

It is great.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (2/9/2012 11:29:40 PM)

We need something that isn't going to divide opinion. That isn't going to divide the critics. That isn't going to divide the public.

I just don't know what that will be.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (2/9/2012 11:36:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

We need something that isn't going to divide opinion. That isn't going to divide the critics. That isn't going to divide the public.

We need something INDIVISIBLE

horribleives -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (2/9/2012 11:39:38 PM)

The Broons.

AxlReznor -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 8:59:40 AM)

Agreed with vad3r. If any comic book adaptation should be free from studio interference,it's got to be The Sandman.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 9:38:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Agreed with vad3r. If any comic book adaptation should be free from studio interference,it's got to be The Sandman.

I hope I never live to see the day that Sandman is bastardised into a 2 hour film.

It would only work as a series IMO.

AxlReznor -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 9:50:27 AM)

I'd do it as six 2 1/2 to 3 hour movies, with the short stories released as DVD exclusives myself. But that would take a huge commitment from any studio.

SwozTheRevenge -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 12:10:18 PM)

Sock Monkey

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 2:41:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

I hope I never live to see the day that Sandman is bastardised into a 2 hour film.

That's really true - I think they could do it in this day and but wouldn't be particularly cheap. Who do you guys think could play him? And no one say Johnny Depp [:D]

quote:

I'd do it as six 2 1/2 to 3 hour movies, with the short stories released as DVD exclusives myself. But that would take a huge commitment from any studio.

Give it to Peter Jackson!

Harry Tuttle -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 2:46:47 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's really true - I think they could do it in this day and but wouldn't be particularly cheap. Who do you guys think could play him? And no one say Johnny Depp [:D]

Depp would have been good a few years back I reckon. Looks wise I'd probably go for Cumberbatch, not sure if he's aloof enough though.

quote:

quote:

Give it to Peter Jackson!

Even I would baulk at 36 x 4 hour films.

AxlReznor -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 2:48:19 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay, then... Michael Fassbender. [:D]

Seriously, though, I'd say twenty years ago, Alan Rickman would have been perfect. Not sure if there's anyone known that I'd cast nowadays, so I'd say keep it to a cast of unknowns for the major characters. Maybe get some big names for the minor characters.

Or wait a few years for Benedict Cumberbatch to get a bit more haggard-looking.

vad3r -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 2:48:57 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

[image]http://cdn.ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Sandman_Barnes.jpg[/image]

The Sandman – Ben Barnes: Everyone from Johnny Depp to Sherlock‘s Benedict Cumberbatch has been lobbied by fans for this role, but this needs a younger and less experienced voice to show Dream waking up and lashing out at his captors. Barnes is best known for his roles in The Chronicles of Narnia, but he’s quietly built up a strong body of work with a Dorian Gray remake and last year’s Killing Bono. I admit he’s not the A-list actor some would hope for, but Yates has experience making a movie without “name” actors and delivering an irresistible film and Barnes could help him — and become a star himself in the process. The actor gets bonus points for already working on a previous Gaiman film — he played a role in Stardust back in 2007.

[image]http://cdn.ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Roderick_Nighy.jpg[/image]

Roderick Burgess – Bill Nighy: He’s one of the primary villains to this inaugural story, and also it’s downplayed somewhat in the comics I’d shore up the prominence of this character by having Burgess not only being the prison warden for Dream but also owner of one of his lost artifacts, the ruby. And Bill Nighy could really light up the movie and show an old man can be threatening even when standing opposite a god.

[image]http://cdn.ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Alex_Northam.jpg[/image]

Alex Burgess – Jeremy Northam: For the movie, I’d portray Roderick’s son Alex as the reluctant successor to the Burgess mantle as magicians but still guilty of keeping Dream locked away for years. This Gosford Park alum would be a great addition to the film, and add nuance to the straight-up evil elder Burgess in the imprisonment of Dream.

[image]http://cdn.ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Cain_Stephens.jpg[/image]

Cain – Toby Stephens: Along with his brother Abel, Cain is one of the few souls who stuck with Dream’s home realm in his absence. Conniving and plotting as ever, Cain would be a great facet to Dream’s extended family and actor Toby Stephens could really live up to Gaiman’s writing of the character.

[image]http://cdn.ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Abel_Frost.jpg[/image]

Abel – Nick Frost: Frost is best known for his straight-up comedy performances, so having him provide some comic relief in the dour world of The Sandman would be a great thing.

[image]http://cdn.ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Lucifer_JudeLaw.jpg[/image]

Lucifer – Jude Law: Jude Law is mostly portrayed as the hero in films, but I think he’s better suited to be an adversary — so why not “the adversary” as some biblical stories call him? I’d love to see Law-as-Lucifer face off against Dream in a battle of wits. You could even plant hints to the later Seasons of Mist storyarc where Lucifer quits as head of hell.

[image]http://cdn.ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Death_Thirlby.jpg[/image]

Death – Olivia Thirlby: Although she’s never carried an ongoing series of her own, Dream’s little sister Death is arguably just as popular as the man himself. In terms of this movie, she was the original target for capture by Burgess and although she doesn’t play a role in the first story-arc, she premieres in the epilogue issue #8 to allow Dream to vent about his imprisonment and assess his life now that he’s back. If DC wanted to steal a page from Marvel’s book and have a enthralling post-credits scene, then doing The Sandman #8 in that spot premiering Death would be like catnip for fans.

AxlReznor -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 2:54:09 PM)

I actually like the idea of Olivia Thirlby as Death. You've managed to find a good bunch of actors that look very much like the comic book characters, too. But for some reason my image of Morpheus has always been someone who's late middle age.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 2:59:38 PM)

That's not bad casting at all apart from Death and Dream. Cain and Abel are particularly inspired.

Ben Barnes is way too fresh faced to play Dream, plus he's not very good IMO. If you can't shine when performing alongside the "actors" playing the Pevensie family in Narnia then you're possibly in the wrong line of work.

Olivia Thirlby just doesn't look right to me. Looks wise I'd say Jenna Louise Coleman certainly looks the part (when compared to the pic you've posted) but I can't really judge if she has what it takes after her brief part in Dr Who t'other night. She's probably too young as well to be honest.

AxlReznor -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 3:06:51 PM)

quote:

That's not bad casting at all apart from Death and Dream. Cain and Abel are particularly inspired.

Ben Barnes is way too fresh faced to play Dream, plus he's not very good IMO. If you can't shine when performing alongside the "actors" playing the Pevensie family in Narnia then you're possibly in the wrong line of work.

Olivia Thirlby just doesn't look right to me. Looks wise I'd say Jenna Louise Coleman certainly looks the part (when compared to the pic you've posted) but I can't really judge if she has what it takes after her brief part in Dr Who t'other night. She's probably too young as well to be honest.

Not sure about that. Death is described as looking like a teenager, so if anything she'd be too old.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 3:10:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

Not sure about that. Death is described as looking like a teenager, so if anything she'd be too old.

Yeah but teenagers are usually played by twentysomethings anyway [:D].

It's one thing to look the part but she'd have to exude an aura of confidence/authority that one only achieves by being one of the Endless. All that whilst still being so damned lovable, likeable and charming. A tough ask for someone so early in their career.

vad3r -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 3:14:56 PM)

I'd just like to point out that those are not my choices and are pasted from a website. I don't agree with any those and don't like any of the actors.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (3/9/2012 5:22:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

I'd just like to point out that those are not my choices and are pasted from a website. I don't agree with any those and don't like any of the actors.

[:D] I was about to give you a pat on the back for a blinding job as well

clownfoot -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (4/9/2012 9:32:32 PM)

quote:

What comic book movie/ story would you like to see made which caters for comic book reading fans and does not focus on the studio bottom line and need to suck in the uninitiated?

Didn't The Crow already manage this?

AxlReznor -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (5/9/2012 10:07:00 AM)

I was thinking that Watchmen was hardly tailor-made for the non-fan, either. Say what you will about that movie, a three hour ultra-violent comic book movie where the hero's are sociopaths and the "villain" wins (I'm not sure if this counts as a spoiler at this point, but I've put it in white anyway) was never exactly going to be a crowd-pleaser.

rich -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (5/9/2012 12:44:33 PM)

Yet they still added the word "Watchmen" into the dialogue.... weird mix of dumbing down and strict comic plot

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Didn't The Crow already manage this?

I'd say yes but have yet to read it's original version

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (5/9/2012 2:24:35 PM)

quote:

I was thinking that Watchmen was hardly tailor-made for the non-fan, either. Say what you will about that movie, a three hour ultra-violent comic book movie where the hero's are sociopaths and the "villain" wins (I'm not sure if this counts as a spoiler at this point, but I've put it in white anyway) was never exactly going to be a crowd-pleaser.

I thought Watchmen was a good film as well

Darth Marenghi -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (5/9/2012 7:11:26 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

[:D] I was about to give you a pat on the back for a blinding job as well

[sm=18.gif]

furrybastard -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (9/9/2012 12:25:29 AM)

quote:

They already made it. It's called Hellboy II.

DJ Rob C: Mark II! -> RE: A comic book movie that didn't have to pander to the masses! (9/9/2012 9:08:15 AM)

I'm confused, I thought this was a thread talking about the Nolan Batman films [8|]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI