JC's 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

jcthefirst -> JC's 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 1:38:35 PM)

Never ventured into this part of the forum before, at least not to make a list, but was inspired by my wife making fun of me when I started welling up during an episode of Doctor Who we watched last night (It was Amy's Choice if you're interested). You see, I am a big girl when it comes to things that could possibly make me cry on TV or in film, so decided to make a list of my top 25 Tearjerkers. Some will be obvious, others less so. And hopefully I'll get the damn thing finished.

Hope you enjoy.

elab49 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 1:47:08 PM)

It's an entirely understandable episode to well up at - so much more so than the more manipulative ones in the series. [:)]

jcthefirst -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 1:53:27 PM)

1. I Will Go Sailing No More

[image]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Awk4MgHSZCc/0.jpg[/image]

I could easily fill this list with Pixar moments (there will be more later FYI) but this one made me bawl my eyes out in the cinema as a ten year old and still sets me off today. It's a perfect marriage of music and action, as Buzz ascends the bannister and proudly pops out his wings, the music swells and we think he's really going to do it. He takes to the air but...starts to fall, as the whole song changes into a much more sombre affair and the expression on Buzz' face changes from hope to utter despair. He. Is. A. Toy. It's a total gut punch and a supremely powerful moment.

elab49 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 1:56:43 PM)

Excellent choice. It's so brilliantly put together - from almost the funniest moment in the film to the literal plummet to that.

matty_b -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 2:11:13 PM)

Ooh, I do love a good tearjerker so I'm looking forward to this.

Can't say that episode of Doctor Who or that moment of Toy Story did it for me, but there you go. [:D]

elab49 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 2:19:36 PM)

Oh wait - I was getting that mixed up with The Girl Who Waited. [sm=08.gif]

jcthefirst -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 2:21:52 PM)

Which is the one with the two Amy's? It was that one.

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 2:24:17 PM)

Great choice with Toy Story, but I'd have picked a different scene - when all the cowboy stuff turns into space ranger stuff always gets to me.

Looking forward to the rest of the list. [:)]

Rebel scum -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 2:28:26 PM)

Great first pick, but I hope the inclusion of this won't stop Toy Story 3 turning up later.

jcthefirst -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 2:35:49 PM)

Nope. [:)]

impqueen -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 2:39:57 PM)

The Girl Who Waited was on the other day and I cried like a baby.

A brilliant first pick, I think I got a little emotional last time out with Toy Story. I have to watch it for HOF so it'll be interesting to see if it still affects me.

vad3r -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 2:49:40 PM)

If it's ok with you JC I'll also pitch in with some of my favourite tearjerker scenes. Oh and good choice with Toy Story (Whedon FTW etc).

I've never felt like crying in a film (not long enough to connect with the characters on that level). TV however is a different story:

[image]http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/109/1094268/lost-20100602043845785.jpg[/image]

"A small boy once asked me if I was a bad man. If I could answer him now, I would tell him that I once killed a man to save my brother's life."

Lost was inconsistent but the arc of Mr. Eko and his brother really got to me and was beautifully done.

[image]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld5kc0yHuj1qdo15zo1_500.jpg[/image]

Xander: I might need a parrot.
Willow: Huh?
Xander: Well, to go with the eye patch, to really complete the look. I think I still have that costume from Halloween.
Willow: Yeah, and don’t underestimate the impact of a peg leg. Maybe the hospital can hook you up with a nice one. Maybe they have a 2-body-parts for the price of one kind of deal.
Xander: Oh, you know what the best part is? No one will ever make me watch jaws 3-D again.
Willow: Yeah, and, you’ll never have to…
Xander: Oh, Willow… please don’t.

One of the most heartbreaking scenes in the Whedonverse. Brave Xander rushing into one fight too many to help his friends, despite having no powers or skill. So much history between these characters.

I have to literally step out of the room at the end of Xander's last line

vad3r -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 3:08:56 PM)

[image]http://caution.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/homer.png[/image]

''Homer, no matter what, I just want you to remember that you have a mother, and she loves you very much ''

One of the most emotional episodes of TV, animated or not. The final shot is just beautiful, Homer looking at the stars after his mother left him.

I miss The Simpsons in their prime. Back when they were at the top of the world and could make you either cry one minute or cry from laughing the next.

elab49 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 3:19:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

That's The Girl Who Waited [:)]

Vad3r, this is someone else's top 25 list. If you want to post your own list thread then feel free.

vad3r -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 3:28:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

That's The Girl Who Waited [:)]

Vad3r, this is someone else's top 25 list. If you want to post your own list thread then feel free.

Ok, I did ask him for permission though. Won't post anymore here and won't create a new thread (no one will leave comments [:(]).

paul_ie86 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 3:47:53 PM)

I just rewatched Toy Story last night. That is a great moment, I would have liked it more if there wasn't a song describing the action playing over it.

elab49 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 3:53:05 PM)

It's really only in the first Toy Story I think that works - the 2nd one - with Jessie - is diminishing returns, although still doesn't, for me, undermine it overall. Toy Story 3 can go whistle. [:D]

jcthefirst -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 4:02:13 PM)

PRETTY BIG SPOILERS HERE

2. Never Let Me Go – Tommy’s Outburst.

[image]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7494sGiq61r6b5b7o2_500.gif[/image]

After trying for so long to defer their ‘donation’ by proving to their former teachers through art and relationships that clones can love and therefore have a soul, Tommy and Kathy discover there is no such thing, and they will still be used for donation and die once they ‘complete.’ Billy has been a fairly subdued chap throughout the film so far so to see him completely lose it in such a devastating fashion is very very affecting. Andrew Garfield sells the pain and anger and frustration so well before the tears come (his, not mine. Mine have already arrived), and the resigned to his fate face he has in the next scene, laying on the hospital bed for what will be his final donation, makes it so much worse.

3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Oz leaves

[image]http://toucan.arvixe.com/~howard2k/buffyworld/buffy/screencaps/062/png2/4X06WAH2454.png[/image]

Despite being a fairly lacklustre episode of Buffy early on in season 4, it does contain this moment; one of my favourites from the whole series. After cheating on Willow whilst in werewolf form with a female werewolf, Oz decides to leave so he can find a way to control the wolf. Oz doesn’t want to leave, but knows he has to, and there’s a small moment at the end, with Oz in his van. The engine is on; he looks back at Willow’s dorm and switches off the ignition. There’s a beat. And he turns it on again, and drives off. Alyson Hannigan and Seth Green are both superb here and it’s the most emotional break up scene in all of the Buffyverse, mostly because Oz, who’s always been the least emotive of the Scoobies is on the verge of tears.

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 4:11:00 PM)

I still haven't seen Never Let Me Go. The book I have mixed opinions on - I think the story is great, and it's written beautifully, but I couldn't feel anything towards the three characters - they were just so bland. Though I think Garfield is ace, so I should give it a go.

jcthefirst -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 4:12:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

I still haven't seen Never Let Me Go. The book I have mixed opinions on - I think the story is great, and it's written beautifully, but I couldn't feel anything towards the three characters - they were just so bland. Though I think Garfield is ace, so I should give it a go.

They still are in the film, but it that not sort of the point?

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 4:15:05 PM)

quote:

quote:

True [:D]

The main thing was that I just couldn't care about them, there was nothing engaging about them which meant it was a bit of a chore to read.

elab49 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 4:18:39 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

True [:D]

The main thing was that I just couldn't care about them, there was nothing engaging about them which meant it was a bit of a chore to read.

I think Ishiguro has a habit of creating characters of that sort because it's a kind of writing he can't manage - creating more complex people.

I don't think the film is perfect but it does work harder in creating characters than the book does IMO - it's worth a look.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 4:23:26 PM)

quote:

PRETTY BIG SPOILERS HERE

This is a heartbreaking moment.

quote:

3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Oz leaves

[image]http://toucan.arvixe.com/~howard2k/buffyworld/buffy/screencaps/062/png2/4X06WAH2454.png[/image]

Despite being a fairly lacklustre episode of Buffy early on in season 4, it does contain this moment; one of my favourites from the whole series. After cheating on Willow whilst in werewolf form with a female werewolf, Oz decides to leave so he can find a way to control the wolf. Oz doesn’t want to leave, but knows he has to, and there’s a small moment at the end, with Oz in his van. The engine is on; he looks back at Willow’s dorm and switches off the ignition. There’s a beat. And he turns it on again, and drives off. Alyson Hannigan and Seth Green are both superb here and it’s the most emotional break up scene in all of the Buffyverse, mostly because Oz, who’s always been the least emotive of the Scoobies is on the verge of tears.

Spot on. I disliked this episode, mainly because of the actress playing Veruca annoyed me so much, but the end is great.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 4:26:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It's really only in the first Toy Story I think that works - the 2nd one - with Jessie - is diminishing returns, although still doesn't, for me, undermine it overall. Toy Story 3 can go whistle. [:D]

Weirdly, it didn't bother me with When She Loved Me. We'll see if I feel the same on its next rewatch.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (30/8/2012 5:31:05 PM)

When She Loves Me is the moment that always get's me the most in the Toy Story films actually, it always gets me when Jessie finishes Woody's sentence talking about Andy/Emily.

rawlinson -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (31/8/2012 5:38:32 AM)

quote:

PRETTY BIG SPOILERS HERE

After trying for so long to defer their ‘donation’ by proving to their former teachers through art and relationships that clones can love and therefore have a soul, Tommy and Kathy discover there is no such thing, and they will still be used for donation and die once they ‘complete.’ Billy has been a fairly subdued chap throughout the film so far so to see him completely lose it in such a devastating fashion is very very affecting. Andrew Garfield sells the pain and anger and frustration so well before the tears come (his, not mine. Mine have already arrived), and the resigned to his fate face he has in the next scene, laying on the hospital bed for what will be his final donation, makes it so much worse.

Great choice.

With The Girl Who Waited, am I the only one who didn't really care? I just didn't get the dilemma

SPOILERS FOR THE GIRL WHO WAITED

One of them Rory loved and had grown up with. One of them was a much older version he didn't really know. I get that he's a nurse and very caring, but it was an Amy he didn't know against the one he loved.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (31/8/2012 5:43:20 AM)

Lovely moment from Toy Story.

matty_b -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (31/8/2012 9:38:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

With The Girl Who Waited, am I the only one who didn't really care? I just didn't get the dilemma

One of them Rory loved and had grown up with. One of them was a much older version he didn't really know. I get that he's a nurse and very caring, but it was an Amy he didn't know against the one he loved.

I didn't see it that way. For one thing, older Amy was still disturbingly close to 'real' Amy - I think it's completely plausible that Rory still saw her as the woman he loved.

But the real dilemma for me was something much simpler - older Amy wanted to live, but had to accept that she couldn't. That's what I found moving about the episode.

rawlinson -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (31/8/2012 9:58:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

I didn't see it that way. For one thing, older Amy was still disturbingly close to 'real' Amy - I think it's completely plausible that Rory still saw her as the woman he loved.

Yeah, but with 100 years of aging. Once he knows real Amy is still around then surely it'd be a case of "Piss off, granny"?

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Top 25 Film and TV tearjerkers (31/8/2012 10:00:06 AM)

quote:

quote:

But the real dilemma for me was something much simpler - older Amy wanted to live, but had to accept that she couldn't. That's what I found moving about the episode.

Yeah - that was what got me.

And the fact that older Amy still hadn't given up on Rory - she still loved him, despite being stuck in that place for so long.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, but with 100 years of aging. Once he knows real Amy is still around then surely it'd be a case of "Piss off, granny"?

[:D]
You should have written the ending.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI