Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion

Marky_Mark -> Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (27/8/2012 8:26:28 PM)

I'm a stickler for these- every time I see a film I already own in extended format, I can't help myself but buy em. Often they turn out to transform a mediocre cut into a different film entirely, but sometimes they're just a bit, well, pants.

But what are your favourites? Absolute must-see films in extended form?

I'm happy to start the ball rolling with:

> The Lord Of The Rings
> Daredevil
> Donnie Darko
> Hellboy
> Sin City

DancingClown -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (27/8/2012 8:37:00 PM)

I'd have to agree with your suggestions, except for Donnie Darko.

I would also add The Other Guys, if only for the car chase/Rick Astley scene.

And The Expendables DC is very good, although the new opening credits do go on for too long.

BelfastBoy -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 8:14:26 AM)

Kingdom of Heaven

Dune / Alexander (if you don't like the originals, then don't bother. But I do think both films benefit from being extended)

40 Year Old Virgin

Deathly Hallow Pt 1 should be extended, if only to insert the scene that explains (for the non book-readers) why everyone stops using Voldemort's name after a certain point!

Bloke from Oz -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 10:04:31 AM)

Just about the only Extended or Special Edition I feel which has greatly improved on the TC is Terminator 2: Judgment Day. The extra footage really shed more light on the characters, got me more involved, and gave me huge reason to pull for the good guys. I didn't think too much of the film when I saw it in the theatre, but the SE is a cinematic masterpiece.

NCC1701A -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 10:12:48 AM)

King Kong - 2005

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Daredevil

The Abyss

Con Air

Dawn of the Dead - 2004

BelfastBoy -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 10:21:07 AM)

One that I've only read about but have never been able to track down:

Superman: The Movie (the 'Salkind International Extended Cut' as commonly known). I know this isn't the Donner approved 2001 Special Edition, but it's 3hr 8mins long, and can that ever be a bad thing?

DancingClown -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 10:34:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BelfastBoy

Superman: The Movie (the 'Salkind International Extended Cut' as commonly known). I know this isn't the Donner approved 2001 Special Edition, but it's 3hr 8mins long, and can that ever be a bad thing?

In this regard I would say yes, personally. I grew up watching Superman, endlessly, and I was really annoyed when I bought the DVD years ago and it was this weird, strangely edited extended version that I knew nothing about. I hated it, not perhaps because I thought the new content didn't add much, but simply because it was fucking with a film I knew off by heart. Same thing when I bought Blues Brothers a few years back, I wasn't expecting an extended cut but that's what I got and it was pointless.

Good calls on The Abyss and Kingdom of Heaven.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 12:12:35 PM)

quote:

Kingdom of Heaven

matty_b -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 12:38:52 PM)

Alien 3.

BelfastBoy -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 12:39:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

In this regard I would say yes, personally. I grew up watching Superman, endlessly, and I was really annoyed when I bought the DVD years ago and it was this weird, strangely edited extended version that I knew nothing about. I hated it, not perhaps because I thought the new content didn't add much, but simply because it was fucking with a film I knew off by heart. Same thing when I bought Blues Brothers a few years back, I wasn't expecting an extended cut but that's what I got and it was pointless.

Good calls on The Abyss and Kingdom of Heaven.

My disappointment with the Donner 2001 version was simply that I knew there was still loads more that he didn't put back in. In many ways the 1978 original version is pretty much perfect, so I do take your point. For me it's hard to watch the theatrical LOTR films because they benefited from extension, whereas - and Blues Bros is an excellent example - others don't. I've seen the Avengers deleted scenes and am glad that they were cut out, because they generally wouldn't have improved the film that was released. It's nice to see them but they don't radically alter what's already there.

spark1 -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 1:18:55 PM)

'star trek-the motion picture DE'- paramount gave robert wise time to re edit, which he was not able to do when the film opened in '79, and add new effects to improve it.

still waiting for a blu ray version.

sharkboy -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 2:05:07 PM)

Some faves in addition to those already mentioned:

Almost Famous - The Bootleg Cut - more tunes, more reminiscing over 70s music nostalgia, more Penny Lane= more win.
Aliens - the scenes showing the fate of the LV-426 colonists, sentry guns and the extended Ripley debriefing after cryo really added to the movie
Bladerunner - can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet!
Das Boot - more claustrophobia for your money - it has to be the full 5-hr German TV edition rather than international theatrical cut
The Big Red One - makes a fair to middling war movie into something quite special.  See Apocalypse Now Redux for a good example of the inverse transition.

I believe there is an extended edition of the movie whose poster could be found in almost every 80's student's flat - Betty Blue - which is essentially an extra half hour of shagging.  Sounds like the very definition of "better than the original" to me! [:D]

matty_b -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 2:09:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Aliens - the scenes showing the fate of the LV-426 colonists, sentry guns and the extended Ripley debriefing after cryo really added to the movie

I would disagree with that one. I think it's much creepier when the marines land to find the colony empty and trashed, it's much more effective. Plus, it doesn't make much sense. The other scenes are good, though. [:)]

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 3:22:40 PM)

quote:

Repeat after me.

Blade Runner is two words.

Now go and sit in the corner until you've learned this, k?

jcthefirst -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 4:06:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Alien 3.

Forever and always, YES!

DancingClown -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 4:23:14 PM)

quote:

quote:

Aliens - the scenes showing the fate of the LV-426 colonists, sentry guns and the extended Ripley debriefing after cryo really added to the movie

I would disagree with that one. I think it's much creepier when the marines land to find the colony empty and trashed, it's much more effective.

I tend to agree but I think it can work both ways. Seeing the colony go from bustling hive to desolate, haunted shell can also be quite effective, but any preliminary horror is probably best left to the imagination. The stuff with Ripley's daughter though I think is absolutely crucial in explaining most of her maternal feelings towards Newt and the film is much better for it.

Could've done without the whole "I'm Ellen" & "I'm Dwayne" exchange though. I mean, really? Dwayne Hicks? Dwayne?

Discodez -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 4:51:13 PM)

I hate the Donnie Darko directors cut, the man ruined his own film, someone should have stopped him.

Discodez -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 4:54:34 PM)

quote:

Alien 3.

Although I thought some bits in the "directors cut" were great, I can't fathom for the life of me why they changed the end

(SPOILER ALERT)

Why did they cut the bit where we see a chest burster coming out of ripley and her hanging onto it as she falls into the flames and dies? Just didn't get the need for that change myself.

Indio -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (28/8/2012 11:38:03 PM)

Leon.

matty_b -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (29/8/2012 9:18:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

Alien 3.

Although I thought some bits in the "directors cut" were great, I can't fathom for the life of me why they changed the end

(SPOILER ALERT)

Why did they cut the bit where we see a chest burster coming out of ripley and her hanging onto it as she falls into the flames and dies? Just didn't get the need for that change myself.

I think the fact it's not a 'director's cut' as such, accounts for that. It's more of an alternate version, rather than what Fincher prefers.

UTB -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (29/8/2012 12:06:00 PM)

quote:

quote:

Alien 3.

(SPOILER ALERT)

I assumed it bursting out was added in case audiences hadn't 'got' that she was carrying one. Personally I think her sacrifice without it bursting out seems much more dramatic, and puts the focus in that shot on her rather than the alien coming out.

MonsterCat -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (29/8/2012 12:16:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Repeat after me.

Do you like Bladerunner, Homer? Personally, when it comes to Bladerunner, I can take or leave Bladerunner. I'm not saying I hate Bladerunner, but Bladerunner always leaves me feeling a bit cold.

Cool Breeze -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (29/8/2012 12:48:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bloke from Oz

Just about the only Extended or Special Edition I feel which has greatly improved on the TC is Terminator 2: Judgment Day. The extra footage really shed more light on the characters, got me more involved, and gave me huge reason to pull for the good guys. I didn't think too much of the film when I saw it in the theatre, but the SE is a cinematic masterpiece.

Completely disagree.The special edition(s) of T2 are vastly inferior to the TC.The latter is faster paced and didnt need any of the extra scenes as they are largely pointless and add nothing to the plot.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Directors cut is the best one for me.

jcthefirst -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (29/8/2012 1:43:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

quote:

Alien 3.

(SPOILER ALERT)

I assumed it bursting out was added in case audiences hadn't 'got' that she was carrying one. Personally I think her sacrifice without it bursting out seems much more dramatic, and puts the focus in that shot on her rather than the alien coming out.

Also, it looks stupid.

great_badir -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (29/8/2012 1:56:13 PM)

quote:

Das Boot - more claustrophobia for your money - it has to be the full 5-hr German TV edition rather than international theatrical cut

I would disagree there and say the existing 208 minute director's cut is by far the best version, for the main reason that the extra stuff in the TV series version, rather than containing more claustrophobia, is basically just the men reminiscing about their sweethearts and some pointless (as in it adds nothing to the film) character development.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (29/8/2012 2:13:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

quote:

Alien 3.

(SPOILER ALERT)

Also, it looks stupid.

I actually watched the Alien3 special edition last night and,although I regard it as the better cut, there were still issues with certain scenes.

And concerning the Ripley death I prefer the chest-burster scene to the special-cut scene,mainly due to the longevity of the cut.
In the special edition cut Ripley's death,for me, isn't culminating and is rather lacking in emotion ie she just falls in rather to sharply/quickly for my liking.
While the chest-burster take,although very convenient that Ripley gave "birth" there-and-then,had the right slow pace which gave the shot more weight and emotion.

Workshed -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (29/8/2012 9:25:19 PM)

Dark City. Great little underrated Sci fi by Alex Proyas.
He Director's cut greatly improves on the TC and may be slightly shorter. There was a dumb, clunky voice over removed from the. Signing which lets the story unfold as a mystery than just spelling everything out before the credits.

gunstar -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (29/8/2012 10:33:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Workshed

Dark City. Great little underrated Sci fi by Alex Proyas.
He Director's cut greatly improves on the TC and may be slightly shorter. There was a dumb, clunky voice over removed from the. Signing which lets the story unfold as a mystery than just spelling everything out before the credits.

So. Much. This.

One of my biggest movie regrets is that I didn't see the director's cut first.

directorscut -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (30/8/2012 1:43:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

quote:

Repeat after me.

Do you like Bladerunner, Homer? Personally, when it comes to Bladerunner, I can take or leave Bladerunner. I'm not saying I hate Bladerunner, but Bladerunner always leaves me feeling a bit cold.

Have you played the Bladerunner video game?

Yet another excellent Ridley Scott director's cut is Leg End. I wouldn't say it's better than the original version as I like that a lot too. Both versions have unqiue strengths.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Best Uncut, Director's Cut, Extended Edition Blu-Ray/DVD (30/8/2012 1:49:13 AM)

quote:

Isn't it 'ok'? I always thought it was 'ok'.

I think we have all learned something today.....

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI