RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

Rebel scum -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (26/9/2012 9:00:49 PM)

I really wasn't a fan of Veronique, which I assume makes me subhuman or something.

JFK was pretty good though, albeit only once I started considering it a fictional film that happened to be about the JFK assassination.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (27/9/2012 6:00:32 AM)

JFK is brilliant.

rawlinson -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (27/9/2012 6:08:02 AM)

The best thing about JFK is the Seinfeld episode.

Beetlejuice! -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (27/9/2012 7:45:41 PM)

4. The Silence of the Lambs
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/86/The_Silence_of_the_Lambs_poster.jpg/220px-The_Silence_of_the_Lambs_poster.jpg[/image]
A brilliantly constructed thriller, it's creepy, weird and perfectly performed by its stars. Hopkins and Foster rightly picked up the Oscar for their roles (though perhaps Hopkins was in wrong category). Hopkins Lecter is one of cinema's greatest villians, balancing the gothic horror of the character and just verging in going OTT. Foster is a strong lead throughout and you completely go along with the strange journey. Taken away from all the other Lecter films this is a stand alone brilliant thriller. One of the best of its kind. Jonathan Demme's masterpiece.

Rebel scum -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (27/9/2012 7:49:45 PM)

Best film I've seen from 1991.

Beetlejuice! -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (27/9/2012 8:24:01 PM)

3. Barton Fink
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1b/BartonFink.jpg/220px-BartonFink.jpg[/image]
The Coen brothers hypnotic bizarre tale of a screenwriter with writer's block in '40s Hollywood is a very dark, surreal comedy. Turturro is great as the pretentious screenwriter who wants to show the life of 'the common man' whilst John Goodman throws away his usual cheery persona for a distrubing portrayal of the man Fink wishes he never met. It's a typically quirky and weird concoction from the Coens, one of their best and perhaps overlooked.

Beetlejuice! -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (27/9/2012 8:49:40 PM)

2. Raise the Red Lantern
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/75/Raise_the_Red_Lantern_DVD.jpg/220px-Raise_the_Red_Lantern_DVD.jpg[/image]
An astonoshingly beautiful film, so aesthetically pleasing its unreal. Zhang Yimou's adaptation follows the plight of a young woman who becomes one of four wives to a rich lord during 1920's China. Gong Li is outstanding in the lead role and gives one of my favourite female performances of all time as a woman who has to use her inner strength to make her way through the devious household she finds herself within. A stunning film which has been sadly overlooked for any kind of DVD release in this country, which is shameful as it really is one of the greatest films of all time.

Beetlejuice! -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (27/9/2012 9:08:32 PM)

1. Twin Peaks - Episode (#2.22)
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ef/Twin_Peaks_coffee.jpg/250px-Twin_Peaks_coffee.jpg[/image]

Dale Cooper: How's Annie? How's Annie?

Whilst the show definitely had a slight dip in quality throughout the latter half of season two (there's still some great stuff in there though), David Lynch took the reigns for the season finale and came up with one of the most terrifying television episodes ever. While some of the sub-plots remain unresolved and we're not too sure about the fate of some of the characters, the real highlight of the episode comes from Agent Cooper's journey into the mysterious Grey Lodge. It's weird and terrifying in equal measure and the episode provides great moments for the majority of the best characters from the show (dead or alive). Completely out there and the final scene is one of the finest endings to any series ever. It's a shame that the show didn't get picked up for a third season but as it stands now, it's a wonderfully eerie ending to one of the finest television series of all time. Perfection from beginning to end. Lynch done his Peaks devotees proud.

Rebel scum -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (27/9/2012 9:24:07 PM)

Barton Fink is great.

I should really get round to Twin Peaks.

Beetlejuice! -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (27/9/2012 9:26:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

Barton Fink is great.

I should really get round to Twin Peaks.

Yes you should! Right now dammit!! [:D]

ElephantBoy -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (28/9/2012 12:26:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

I really wasn't a fan of Veronique, which I assume makes me subhuman or something.JFK was pretty good though, albeit only once I started considering it a fictional film that happened to be about the JFK assassination.

Why however did you guess[:D]

Still think SOTL stands up very well now, even if it is a tad overrated it is still a very chilling thirller with one of Jodie Fosters greatest ever performances.

Barton Fink is excellent and would surely be in my top ten for that year. Twin Peaks I love althrough it could never match the series.

Still think Veronique should be your number one[:)]

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (28/9/2012 6:39:21 AM)

Lambs has grown on me a lot in recent years. The atmosphere, the score and Foster especially are brilliant, but I'll never understand the love for Hopkins in that role. Fink's good enough. Not seen your top 2.

rawlinson -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (28/9/2012 6:57:53 AM)

I don't get the Hopkins love either. Watch Twin Peaks.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (28/9/2012 7:18:13 AM)

I did see some of it about 6 years ago, half the first series I think. Liked what I saw but never continued.

rawlinson -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (28/9/2012 7:22:53 AM)

You can get the full set on Amazon

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (28/9/2012 10:06:32 AM)

I've had it for two years [:D]

ElephantBoy -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (28/9/2012 12:32:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Lambs has grown on me a lot in recent years. The atmosphere, the score and Foster especially are brilliant, but I'll never understand the love for Hopkins in that role. Fink's good enough. Not seen your top 2.

No I think he just about gets away with it in the first film as it is more forcused on Foster's character and Lecter is only used for big setpieces, but I do find him too hammy in that role, much prefer Cox.

Beetlejuice! -> RE: 1991: BJ's Top 50 of the Year (30/9/2012 8:51:13 PM)

Cox is fantastic but I dont think his Lecter would sit well within Demme's film, it needs a bit more flamboyance to cater to the gothic melodrama of the film.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.076172E-02