The best place to sit in the cinema (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Rgirvan44 -> The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 11:56:57 AM)

I have never understood why people enjoy sitting right at the back of the cinema (ok, I understand non-movie watching reasons why they enjoy this. ahem) - the picture is further away and you don't feel like you are "in" the film.

Am curious - where do people prefer to sit? Do you even have preference? I usually go for the back of the first third of seats, and to the left. Your eyesnaturally go left to right due to training from reading etc and so it feels the most "natural" place to be.

Anyone like sitting right at the front? Never tried it myself - seems a little too close to the screen.

st3veebee -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 11:59:17 AM)

The good Doctor Kermode always sits on the aisle seat on the right, or so he says, with a free seat behind, in front and beside him.

Personally I prefer being as middle as possible as the sound is usually best and you have a direct line of sight at the main screen. I do hate being people being directly behind me though, especially when there are many free seats elsewhere. [:@]

Shifty Bench -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:00:27 PM)

I sit way up at the back, I hate having people sit behind me. If I can't sit in the middle, I sit in the corner. As long as I can still see the film, I don't mind.

MonsterCat -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:05:46 PM)

Depends on what I'm watching. If I'm watching the new Expendables flick I usually sit in right in the back so no-one can see me masturbating.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:07:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Depends on what I'm watching. If I'm watching the new Expendables flick I usually sit in right in the back so no-one can see me masturbating.

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/Academy_Awards_afterparty_CUN_Terry_Crews.jpg/220px-Academy_Awards_afterparty_CUN_Terry_Crews.jpg[/image]

MonsterCat -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:08:42 PM)

I've heard the sound clip of Arnie wanting to grab Terry Crews' big weapon. Sounds hot.

st3veebee -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:10:34 PM)

quote:

I've heard the sound clip of Arnie wanting to grab Terry Crews' big weapon. Sounds hot.

Kermode show?

chris kilby -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:11:48 PM)

Good question. I used to always sit "middle to back," but now always sit in the front row, middle seat.

This started when we had no choice and had to sit in the front row at a packed screening of Titanic years ago. It took a bit of getting used to - like being at a tennis match - but by the time the stern of the ship rose out of the water then came crashing down again like the Fist of God it felt like we were getting splashed by the water. Talk about an immersive experience!

I just love having my field of vision filled by what I'm watching, there's no-one in front of you and/or climbing over you during the film, you can stretch out and/or leave if it's shite and ma wee boy loves to breakdance down at the front while his daddy reads the end credits. Sorted. (Yeah. The wee guy at the Glasgow Cineworld, Renfrew Street. He's mine. He's like Gene Gene The Dancing Machine in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind!)

I have friends who simply will not sit in the front row, but one of me mates is disabled and has to. And when we went to see Apocalypse Now - Redux, it felt like the rotor blades of the helicopters at the start were giving us a haircut!

Rgirvan44 -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:12:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

Kermode show?

Kermode show what? His big weapon?

This thread is going down a rabbit hole I did not anticpate.

MonsterCat -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:13:32 PM)

quote:

Kermode show?

Yes. lol at that them taking the piss out of the Lions Gate embargo fiasco.

Shifty Bench -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:13:44 PM)

Ha.

Penis.

chris kilby -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:13:48 PM)

quote:

Was that you?

Shifty Bench -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:14:34 PM)

One thing you need to learn, Chris....

It is always MonsterCat......

chris kilby -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:15:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Kermode show?

Kermode show what? His big weapon?

This thread is going down a rabbit hole I did not anticpate.

Don't you mean a sewer...?

(Well, you know what they say - Same as Normal...)

chris kilby -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:18:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

One thing you need to learn, Chris....

It is always MonsterCat......

Yeah, but it freaked me out when he did it during The Silence of the Lambs. I wouldn't have minded so much, but he used my hand!

st3veebee -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:18:21 PM)

Back on track: anyone like the view from the front? Prefer it in the rear? It can take a while to find that sweet spot in the middle.

In your endo.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:20:57 PM)

quote:

Back on track: anyone like the view from the front? Prefer it in the rear? It can take a while to find that sweet spot in the middle.

In your endo.

Is anyone still searching for the perfect spot?

MonsterCat -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:21:56 PM)

Joking aside, I usually go anywhere except right at the front.

I find I have to bend my neck if I'm sitting in the very front row and that can get uncomfortable after a while.

jcthefirst -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:25:25 PM)

Usually the second row in the tiered seats.

Or the back row of the front section of seats.

chris kilby -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 12:27:40 PM)

quote:

quote:

In your endo.

Is anyone still searching for the perfect spot?

Left a bit... Right a bit... Ooh, right there!

great_badir -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 1:00:06 PM)

Middle middle.

At least that was until nearly every chain decided to give the entire middle section over to VIP seating only...

[>:]

EDIT - also, bum sex.

Rhubarb -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 1:08:39 PM)

It depends on the shape of the cinema screen doesn't it? But yeah, not too far back, but not front row as i feel sick from the jump cutting.

Whistler -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 1:11:43 PM)

I like sitting as close to the middle as I can, both in distance from the screen and alignment to the centre of it.

I find 3D works a little better when I sit closer, but I can never go to the first few rows. One of the times I saw Inception I was in the very first row (it was screen 1 at Cineworld Edinburgh, now the IMAX screen, as a reference for anyone who knows it), and it was just far too close. Couldn't make out what was happening and I was distracted by a sore neck. Also, when I saw TDKR in IMAX last month, I was in the second row. While it was awesomely big and stunning, it was just a bit too close. I couldn't even see the bottom of the bloody screen when the IMAX footage was on. It also distracted me for the first few scenes while I tried to accustom myself to it. To be honest, I'm not sure why they put some seats so close.

Dpp1978 -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 1:53:53 PM)

Usually about 2/3 of the way back and as close to the middle of the screen as possible. Sometimes a little closer depending on the size of the screen.

If there is stadium style seating I prefer my eye level to be just above the middle of the screen.

I once sat up in the balcony at the Odeon in Leicester Square; one of the few screens where this is still possible. This meant I was looking down on the screen, which felt wrong for some reason. I much prefer the stalls there.

For IMAX anywhere in the back third is fine: preferably close to the centre. Any closer than that is just too close.

Timbzy -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 1:59:50 PM)

Depends on the cinema/if there are mezzanines etc.

adambatman82 -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 2:14:57 PM)

quote:

Anyone like sitting right at the front? Never tried it myself - seems a little too close to the screen.

Depending on the size of the auditorium I sometimes do. In my local multiplex I go for the third row-ish.

superdan -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 2:22:40 PM)

quote:

I watched Jurassic Park sat on the front row which seemed all kinds of awesome at the time. Now though I'd never sit at the front. Middle of the auditorium for me, preferable looking up at the middle of the screen a touch if it's stadium seating.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 3:04:04 PM)

Row J, penultimate seat on the right hand side

thedrin -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 4:26:54 PM)

I want to be able to see the entire screen in both eyes without having to move my neck, unless I know that there's no shaky camera work. After that I want the middle of the screen to be just below my eye level. At my usual cinema, I sit just to the left or right of center and 2-5 rows from the back, but it would depend on the cinema.

Hood_Man -> RE: The best place to sit in the cinema (21/8/2012 5:17:37 PM)

I used to sit quite far back, but I quite like bring really close to the screen now.

And middle of the row obviously [:)]

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI