Samuel L Jackson Set For Oldboy (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Samuel L Jackson Set For Oldboy (19/8/2012 9:45:36 PM)

Post your comments on this article

clarkkent -> (19/8/2012 9:45:36 PM)

Hmmmm. The more i hear about this, the more interested I become. I love the original, but i've never been as anti remake as some people. An American Oldboy could be cool, provided it's not a shot for shot remake. But Sharlto Copley as the bad guy? THAT is something i REALLY wanna see.

rosalind14 -> RE: (20/8/2012 10:34:04 AM)

No. Just no. Leave it be. It's a classic and needs to be left alone. Can't we have some kind of agreement that there are certain films that should never be remade? A "holy" list?!!

AxlReznor -> RE: RE: (20/8/2012 10:43:30 AM)

I can't see this being very good. The original featured stuff that you can get away with in Korea that you just can't in Hollywood. I'm not talking about random details, like the octopus scene, but the plot itself features some elements that Hollywood studios try to steer clear of nowadays. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo didn't do as well as expected, so I'd imagine studio's will be even more hesitant to go all the way with Oldboy's plot than they would have been before.

Beetlejuice! -> RE: RE: (20/8/2012 4:00:59 PM)

I definitely want to see it, I don't think Spike Lee's ever done a remake before so it would be interesting to see why he's signed up for the project. He can do with a return to form really and re-uniting with Jackson can only be a good thing. I prefer the Hollywood version of Dragon Tattoo and Let Me In didn't improve on the original but was still very good. So I think it has potential.

dannyfletch -> Another brainless Hollywood remake! (20/8/2012 9:50:44 PM)

Oldboy is an excellent piece of world cinema that does not need a remake just because people can't bother their asses to read subtitles! Pointless is putting it mildly!

MonsterCat -> RE: Another brainless Hollywood remake! (20/8/2012 10:05:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Oldboy is an excellent piece of world cinema that does not need a remake just because people can't bother their asses to read subtitles! Pointless is putting it mildly!

I think it's more to do with the studios presuming that "people can't bother their asses to read subtitles".

Studios have been underestimating the intelligence levels of film-goers for years. Remaking foreign films so people won't have to put up with those pesky subtitles is just a part of that.

I'm willing to bet that if distributors had the balls to give foreign flicks a wider release, films like Park Chan Wook's Oldboy would make a tidy sum at the box-office.

Prophet_of_Doom -> RE: Another brainless Hollywood remake! (20/8/2012 10:38:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

I think it's more to do with the studios presuming that "people can't bother their asses to read subtitles".

Studios have been underestimating the intelligence levels of film-goers for years. Remaking foreign films so people won't have to put up with those pesky subtitles is just a part of that.

I'm willing to bet that if distributors had the balls to give foreign flicks a wider release, films like Park Chan Wook's Oldboy would make a tidy sum at the box-office.

It's simple maths really and nothing to do with intelligence levels. It's all about making money. There will always be a large percentage of the film-going public who won't see the original because it's a foreign film. Add that to the large numbers of people who have seen the original (many of whom say they won't see the remake, but will just out of morbid curiosity - I said I'd never watch the Dragon Tattoo remake, but couldn't help myself) and you've got a box office hit. I think they call it something like a 'pre-sold franchise' in Hollywood. A film where you've already got sales before it has been made, because a target audience is guaranteed to watch (that's us) as well as a new audience who wouldn't watch the original because it had subtitles, but who will watch this version because they heard it's so great!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI