RE: European football (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

Nexus Wookie -> RE: European football (14/1/2013 11:36:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

The big question is whether Barcelona are playing better football since Pep left [;)]

I believe Barca can still keep winning if they have a monkey in charge of the team because they're so good. In order to see if Pep really is as good as everyone believes, then let us see him take on a struggling team like Arsenal or Liverpool. If he can turn their fortunes around then i will brand him the best. But i'm just not convinced yet.

Saltire -> RE: European football (14/1/2013 6:27:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

Oh I dunno, the Man U v Liverpool match was pretty decent even though as a Liverpool fan I was left disappointed by the result; but not disheartened as Man U should be miles better than Liverpool just now, but we kept them honest for most of the game. The Arsenal v City match had plenty of drama and had a bit of needle to it which is always good, then Barca proved yet again how brilliant they are once more this season with a comprehensive victory away to a decent Malaga side. All matches were good in their own way in my book.

Do you think Barca might become the La Liga Invincibles? As far as i know they haven't lost a Liga match yet, and looking very strong to end the season unbeaten. I reckon they might just do it! As for yesterdays match. Liverpool put on a good show of strength at the end, but overall contrary to Rodgers analysis, i feel United deserved the victory. I now hope we can go and do a number on Spurs. If we have Wazza back in time, then i'm quite optimistic we can win.

I think Barcelona can go through the whole season undefeated in La Liga; of course they have to play away to Real Madrid and Valencia yet, but yes the way they are playing just now, they have a chance of doing it. I actually dont think they are playing better now than they did in Guardiola's first season, but they are more direct than they were last season, and the goals and shots are coming in from other players than Messi now making them more deadly. I'd just like to see Villa play more for them (though he is out just now with a hamstring injury I believe).

As for the match at Old Trafford you are right, on balance Man Utd probably did deserve the win, but I felt despite the gap in quality between the two clubs just now, Liverpool held their own and that was more pleasing for me as I was expecting a comprehensive defeat there, giving me hope that progress is definitely being made.

I think the Spurs match away will be a real test for you as I expect them to come at you more, but I still think you'll get a draw there. City are looking good though just now even without Yaya and Aguero; I think the title race is far from over though and it may go the distance once more.

Olaf -> RE: European football (14/1/2013 6:32:20 PM)

why do all of Europe's top clubs want Guardiola? Vilanova is clearly the man.

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Tito_Vilanova_(2012).jpg/200px-Tito_Vilanova_(2012).jpg[/image]

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: European football (14/1/2013 6:36:09 PM)

quote:

I was expecting a comprehensive defeat there, giving me hope that progress is definitely being made.

Hmm,to be honest United should/could have gone into the break being atleast 3-up.
Though Liverpool did do well in the second half.
The OT pitch was awful mind,surprised both teams passed the ball well on that surface.

Olaf -> RE: European football (14/1/2013 7:03:32 PM)

Unai Emery back in La Liga: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-struggling-sevilla-name-emery-coach-place-michel-184847477--sow.html

I always thought that he was unlucky to be sacked by Valencia, though his spell at Spartak was pretty much a disaster. Should have enough about him to improve Sevilla's position, at least.

Saltire -> RE: European football (14/1/2013 11:03:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Unai Emery back in La Liga: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/soccer-struggling-sevilla-name-emery-coach-place-michel-184847477--sow.html

I always thought that he was unlucky to be sacked by Valencia, though his spell at Spartak was pretty much a disaster. Should have enough about him to improve Sevilla's position, at least.

Yeah good to see Emery back in La Liga, I think the Valencia hierarchy are inside regretting their decision to let him go.

Olaf -> RE: European football (14/1/2013 11:22:58 PM)

I think they really underestimated how good a job he was doing to get consecutive third-place finishes while selling their best players every season (Villa, Silva, Mata, Alba etc). The fact that Levante have a decent shot of finishing ahead of them this season (didn't they get promoted like two years ago?) pretty effectively demonstrates how stark Valencia's decline has been. It's kind of a funny coincidence that Emery's gone to Sevilla since Betis are pretty much doing the same thing, praying that Real's freefall continues and Rayo continue the 'unfashionable clubs from well-established footballing regions outdoing the local big club' theme (Sociedad having a much better season than Bilbao also comes to mind). Espanyol doesn't count because they're jerks.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (16/1/2013 4:11:07 PM)

Olaf already mentioned it in the Arsenal thread, but I think it might have a more natural home here. Pep to Bayern Munich. I'm really pleased about this actually, a classy team with money to spend but not as silly as Chelsea or PSG. Rafa must be running round his living room whooping and punching the air right now. [:D]

MOTH -> RE: European football (16/1/2013 4:16:59 PM)

It's a perfect fit for him in terms of the way the club is run. Rafa Hoenigstein and Sid Lowe in the Guardian had both predicted this a few months ago and suggested it would be much more preferable way to test his methods at another club than heading straight to the PL bearpit.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: European football (16/1/2013 4:20:53 PM)

quote:

why do all of Europe's top clubs want Guardiola? Vilanova is clearly the man.

[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1e/Tito_Vilanova_(2012).jpg/200px-Tito_Vilanova_(2012).jpg[/image]

Maybe its 'cos of the fact he looks like Mr. Bean and isn't as sexy as Pep! [:D]

Olaf -> RE: European football (16/1/2013 4:21:02 PM)

As a Bundesliga fan my natural response is to hate Bayern with a passion, but I'd prefer Pep going there than to City or Chelsea (I'd imagine Mancini might be joining Rafa in celebrating tonight). And as I said elsewhere, they're probably the best club side in Europe right now along with Barca so it was a natural step.

Also, does this mean the hipster league is going mainstream now? so many conflicting emotions.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (16/1/2013 4:24:15 PM)

As long as there is a Wurst train running at St Pauli its cool to support the Bundesliga (.... I mean, Division 2 counts... doesn't it???)

Olaf -> RE: European football (16/1/2013 4:29:24 PM)

2.BL is even more underground than the Bundesliga yo (probably on account of literally being underneath it). what do you mean United/Real is your highlight of the CL last 16? Dortmund/Shakhtar is clearly the superior tie for the aesthetes.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (16/1/2013 4:33:27 PM)

I go to Germany semi-regularly (4 to 6 times a year). They have the most confusing football show. You think you are watching a match, but then suddenly if there is a goal in a game it cuts away. And it might stay there. Or come back. Or go to another game. Especially if you are not down with the German and drinking its a bit of a mindfuck... and some of those football strips don't help much either.

Used to go to watch Karlsruhe, who are now so underground they are under the 2nd Division!. Ah, happy days of stood on the terraces with the beer van just 20 yards away [:)]

Saltire -> RE: European football (16/1/2013 5:49:56 PM)

Great move for Pep, after the mighty Guillem Balague saying last night a deal was 90% done with them and he comes trumps again for stories! Really glad he's went there over the spoilt plaything that is Chelsea and new upstart Man City. Bayern are already looking strong to win the CL this year yet again, and with him at the helm, they could be looking good in that competition for quite a few years.

Olaf -> RE: European football (16/1/2013 7:47:00 PM)

I tend to take 80% of Balague's postings with a pinch of salt after he said a deal between Arsenal and Mata was on the verge of being confirmed. And this is what he updated with yesterday...

[image]http://i.imgur.com/TiZwA.png[/image]

Saltire -> RE: European football (16/1/2013 11:15:26 PM)

He did say on the show it was 90% which wasnt a deal at the time, but most of what I hear from him he gets bang on. No journo can get 100% of everything right, but compared to the waffle that is spouted on rumours from our guys, his stuff seems to have more credence about his stories than many of theirs.

Barca sloppy tonight and got punished for it; Malaga equalised to 2 - 2 three minutes from the end of the match despite being down to 10 men. Tut tut.

Olaf -> RE: European football (19/1/2013 6:58:56 PM)

quote:

I think they really underestimated how good a job he was doing to get consecutive third-place finishes while selling their best players every season (Villa, Silva, Mata, Alba etc). The fact that Levante have a decent shot of finishing ahead of them this season (didn't they get promoted like two years ago?) pretty effectively demonstrates how stark Valencia's decline has been. It's kind of a funny coincidence that Emery's gone to Sevilla since Betis are pretty much doing the same thing, praying that Real's freefall continues and Rayo continue the 'unfashionable clubs from well-established footballing regions outdoing the local big club' theme (Sociedad having a much better season than Bilbao also comes to mind). Espanyol doesn't count because they're jerks.

quote:

(Sociedad having a much better season than Bilbao also comes to mind)

quote:

Sociedad

2-0 down after 25 minutes ain't no thing. gg Barca

Saltire -> RE: European football (19/1/2013 7:25:06 PM)

Guess we spoke too soon about Barca going undefeated all season - Pique was a silly silly boy, too much thinking about that photo with Shakira through the week I expect.

Olaf -> RE: European football (19/1/2013 7:26:52 PM)

If my wife was Shakira, I wouldn't leave the house let alone be a professional footballer.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (19/1/2013 8:23:26 PM)

Before the photos I still had myself convinced that they were just really good friends [:(]

Nexus Wookie -> RE: European football (19/1/2013 8:47:26 PM)

quote:

Guess we spoke too soon about Barca going undefeated all season - Pique was a silly silly boy, too much thinking about that photo with Shakira through the week I expect.

Yeah we did! [:D] But they were looking strong to nab the title of 'La Liga Invincibles'. Still Real Sociedad were worth the win.

Saltire -> RE: European football (20/1/2013 11:41:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

Yeah we did! [:D] But they were looking strong to nab the title of 'La Liga Invincibles'. Still Real Sociedad were worth the win.

Yeah Sociedad were well worth it in the end; no wins for Barca in two games though, crisis? [8D]

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (30/1/2013 7:15:47 PM)

So, are we going Real v Barca, or Arsenal v Liverpool tonight?

Olaf -> RE: European football (30/1/2013 7:36:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

So, are we going Real v Barca, or Arsenal v Liverpool tonight?

Only one of these games has got the two best players in the world. So for that reason, I'll be watching Carragher vs. Walcott.

Saltire -> RE: European football (31/1/2013 9:54:18 AM)

I switched over regularly like I do Champions' League matches - missed Giroud's goal but both matches were really good in their own ways.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (3/2/2013 7:12:45 PM)

Not really European, but outside England... Ivory Coast go out of the African Cup of Nations at the QF round. That team has to be one of the most-underperforming of all time.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: European football (3/2/2013 7:18:34 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah Sociedad were well worth it in the end; no wins for Barca in two games though, crisis? [8D]

Yeah probably; Messi is going mad too! [:D]

@Professor Moriarty, yeah really disappointed with them. And to think they were tournament favourites, but then again who wouldn't call them that especially when they have all those star players in their midst.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (3/2/2013 7:55:36 PM)

Valencia should have won that. Barcelona looking increasingly vulnerable at the back. If they come up against Bayern or a Shakhtar side playing with confidence they could be in trouble in the Champions League.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: European football (4/2/2013 12:19:53 PM)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/match-fixing-champions-league-game-1585390

Anyone seen this yet? Thoughts? My own = [&:]

Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI