RE: European football (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (5/11/2013 9:09:14 PM)

Goal for Bale after a great one the other week. Hope he continues to settle there and keeps finding the net. One for Ronaldo too, what a goal machine. I'm sure he has one good tournament in him, so hope Portugal make Brazil.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (5/11/2013 9:24:27 PM)

Bayern looking like they might put together a very strong tilt at being the first team to retain.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (5/11/2013 9:39:51 PM)

And Pellegrini does what Mancini couldn't. The guile of Aguero and battering ram of Negredo is starting to look an interesting pairing.

Saltire -> RE: European football (5/11/2013 11:50:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Goal for Bale after a great one the other week. Hope he continues to settle there and keeps finding the net. One for Ronaldo too, what a goal machine. I'm sure he has one good tournament in him, so hope Portugal make Brazil.

I hope not, he gets on my nerves. [;)]

Well done to City though.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (6/11/2013 9:28:05 AM)

I've mellowed a lot to Ronaldo. Its a long time now since he first played for Utd and was a constant step-over and roll on the floor merchant. I'm still not sure he'd be the kind of guy I'd want to have a pint with (I'm sure the feeling is probably mutual anyway), but I do think he's one of the best footballers in the world and they deserve to be at the WC.

jonson -> RE: European football (6/11/2013 11:26:38 AM)

quote:

I've mellowed a lot to Ronaldo. Its a long time now since he first played for Utd and was a constant step-over and roll on the floor merchant. I'm still not sure he'd be the kind of guy I'd want to have a pint with (I'm sure the feeling is probably mutual anyway), but I do think he's one of the best footballers in the world and they deserve to be at the WC.

They should have a best of the rest team. Leave one space open, have a local manager pick a team from all the players left out (from the countries left out rather than the Spain reserves [:D]) and there you have a team for the neutrals to support or England fans after the group stages [:D]

Qwerty Norris -> RE: European football (6/11/2013 11:37:13 AM)

I've no ill will towards Arsenal, but fingers crossed for Dortmund tonight.

Interesting to see how Celtic will fare in Amsterdam tonight. That game could literally go either way, so it'll probably be a draw. [:D]

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (6/11/2013 11:40:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

They should have a best of the rest team. Leave one space open, have a local manager pick a team from all the players left out (from the countries left out rather than the Spain reserves [:D]) and there you have a team for the neutrals to support or England fans after the group stages [:D]

Its a great idea. Of course it'd never come off, but its still a great fantasy idea. And with Holloway now out of work there's the perfect manager to lead an all star XI

Seriously though, I can see Real mounting a challenge for the Champions League this season. Which very possibly could be won by Bale and Ronaldo. Neither of whom may be at the WC. Obviously there will still be plenty to entertain me, but I would miss the best players not being on the biggest stage.

** As I think about it Wales seem to have been serial underachievers in qualifying for the WC, there's practically a full team of Toshack, Rush, Southall, Hughes, Giggs none of whom I think ever managed to reach a WC. And the next generation of Bale and Ramsey, etc who probably never will [;)]

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (6/11/2013 11:42:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

[8|] Fekking hipsters [:D]

Dortmund are far too mainstream, so no ill will to Chelsea, but jetzt geht's los Shalke null vier!

Qwerty Norris -> RE: European football (6/11/2013 11:54:26 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

[8|] Fekking hipsters [:D]

Hey! There's a reason that magnificent man is my avatar! [:D]

To be fair, I've been following his Dortmund side for the past 5 years, so it goes without saying I've grown a fondness for them over that time (they've probably become my 2nd team now). Hoping to take in a home game in April. [:)]

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (6/11/2013 7:45:27 PM)

I have avatars turned off for ummm work purposes [:D]

Anyway, ya ready hipster with your trendy Bundesliga boys against the distinctly EPL XI of Ozil, Arteta, Cazorla, Giroud et al [;)]

I hope its a cracker and football is the winner.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: European football (6/11/2013 9:44:34 PM)

quote:

Anyway, ya ready hipster with your trendy Bundesliga boys against the distinctly EPL XI of Ozil, Arteta, Cazorla, Giroud et al [;)]

...and Bendther? [:D]

Anyway...DAMN!

Fairplay to Arsenal, that is what you would call a masterclass in counter-attacking football. It's been a long time since I've seen them defend that heroically. Whereas Dortmund continue to look dodgy as hell at the back (Schmelzer's a real head in the hands type player). Having said that, had Mkhitaryan took his relatively straight-forward chance in the 1st half, I think it would have been very different.

Two must win games for Dortmund then - including an emphatic one against a very good Napoli side. On the plus side, at least I might have a reason to watch the Europa league. [:D]

Olaf -> RE: European football (6/11/2013 10:12:19 PM)

What sort of self-respecting hipster isn't already watching the Europa League?? I'm going to be watching either Rubin Kazan v Wigan or Slovan Liberec v Sevilla tomorrow night. and Bundesliga fans have got Frankfurt against Bordeaux and Freiburg playing Estoril. Great stuff.

great win for the Arsenal tonight though. I'm more than happy to admit that we should have been one or two down within the hour but Dortmund struggled for ideas after the goal. I would expect us to beat Marseille at home now, so we should (hopefully) be through before that away game against Napoli.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 10:39:41 AM)

Two very well matched teams really. I must admit that for me Dortmund edged it over the two games, but it was a good performance from Arsenal.

In the first half I actually thought that Arsenal had it all wrong. They were playing very deep and they had possession, but not really in a territory that was going to do any damage to Dortmund. Ramsey's goal was very much against the run of the play, but it was an excellent defensive performance from Arsenal to keep the clean sheet.

Overall I think Klopp will be disappointed, especially with the miss from Mkhitaryan, which might have led to a different result. I think that Wenger will be well chuffed with that, not just the result but the style of the result. That might sound a bit counter when Dortmund were really the better team overall on the night, but its looking like Arsenal's real strength domestically at the moment is their ability to play accurate passes in midfield at the high PL tempo, so coming down a notch (as neither of these games went off as fast as the blitz of the Bayern vs. Dortmund final last year) I think he can be happy they are delivering there too.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 10:59:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

So overrated that Zlatan...

I'm reading his bio at the moment. Its a complete hoot of written in the third person accounts of how no football team is anything without Zlatan. Much, much more interesting that Sir Ferg's blandathon.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 1:09:31 PM)

quote:

quote:

So overrated that Zlatan...

I'm reading his bio at the moment. Its a complete hoot of written in the third person accounts of how no football team is anything without Zlatan. Much, much more interesting that Sir Ferg's blandathon.

A list of some of his quotes.

http://soccerlens.com/zlatan-ibrahimovic-quotes/116573/

One of my favourites?

Regarding Balotelli...

“I like fireworks too, but I set them off in gardens or kebab stands. I never set fire to my own house.”

[:D]

Scott_ -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 1:54:31 PM)

Someone should start a hipster football thread where we can only talk about Dortmund, classic football kits, 90's Serie A, false nines, Belgium for the World Cup and we must use words like Trequartista.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 3:18:16 PM)

quote:

Someone should start a hipster football thread where we can only talk about Dortmund, classic football kits, 90's Serie A, false nines, Belgium for the World Cup and we must use words like Trequartista.

Do start one because I'm dying to ask the question about whether Liverpool should play with a libero. When they played against Arsenal it was clear that the back 3 were too populated against Arsenal's lone striker and hence Arsenal enjoyed a midfield advantage, which saw Rodgers change tactics to something nearer a 4-4-2 (maybe a 4-2-3-1 I think) in the 2nd half. But if he had a defender who was comfortable on the ball and played it out could that player not push on more in these conditions and help stop that numerical advantage playing against the 4-5-1 type set up and also add more to their passing style of play [:D]

horribleives -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 3:45:17 PM)

quote:

Nice idea. The final touch - only people who've never actually been inside a football stadium (let alone drank a cup of Bovril) are allowed to post [;)]

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 4:13:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

Nice idea. The final touch - only people who've never actually been inside a football stadium (let alone drank a cup of Bovril) are allowed to post [;)]

The first time I was taken to a match I was looking forward more to the cup of Bovril at half time than the actual game, Saltergate not been known for being the warmest of places in the world and Chesterfield definitely not known as the best team to watch in any weather. Somehow that thermos seemed like the real induction, a bit like supping your first pint. Of course, it was blooming awful and the game was no better, but the initiation was complete.

superdan -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 5:33:52 PM)

quote:

The first time I was taken to a match I was looking forward more to the cup of Bovril at half time than the actual game, Saltergate not been known for being the warmest of places in the world and Chesterfield definitely not known as the best team to watch in any weather. Somehow that thermos seemed like the real induction, a bit like supping your first pint. Of course, it was blooming awful and the game was no better, but the initiation was complete.

I remember liking Bovril as a kid, but hadn't drunk it for about 25 years until just a few months ago when I bought a jar on impulse and eagerly made myself a mug. The fond memories of drinking it with my old man at footy/fishing vanished almost instantly as I shuddered and retched at the unexpected foulness of it. Fuck knows what was wrong with me as a nipper to enjoy that undrinkable swill.

Olaf -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 6:04:47 PM)

quote:

quote:

Pfft, attending lower-than-bottom-tier football because it's cheap as hell is an essential component (Fisher Athletic represent). You have much to learn, plebeian.

horribleives -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 7:09:46 PM)

Ah but a true cooler-than-thou football hipster wouldn't be seen dead slumming it at a match in their own country with the rest of the uneducated rabble - they'd much rather travel to a division two game in Germany (or is it Belgium? I can't keep up) which of course they would bottle attending at the last minute as soon as they hear the terrifying sound of a crowd of foreigners singing.

Scott_ -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 7:17:52 PM)

quote:

Ah but a true cooler-than-thou football hipster wouldn't be seen dead slumming it at a match in their own country with the rest of the uneducated rabble - they'd much rather travel to a division two game in Germany (or is it Belgium? I can't keep up) which of course they would bottle attending at the last minute as soon as they hear the terrifying sound of a crowd of foreigners singing.

I believe both are acceptable answers along with any eastern European country.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (7/11/2013 7:24:22 PM)

Speaking of which, Swansea pretty lucky I'm not their coach driver tonight. I wouldn't have the foggiest where Kuban Krasnador might be and probably would have ended up trying to drop them off as close as I could in Miami.

Olaf -> RE: European football (8/11/2013 7:04:29 PM)

quote:

Pity the plight of the unemployed football hipster. I can't afford air fares so I have to resort to internet streams for my Danish domestic football fix.

I'm still not wholly convinced by your reasoning though - the armchair supporter is the most mainstream person in football. If anything, the 'I go to the matches' brigade and the football hipsters share the same sustenance - that sweet sweet feeling of superiority over everyone else - so they have more in common than one might think.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: European football (9/11/2013 12:05:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

the armchair supporter is the most mainstream person in football. If anything, the 'I go to the matches' brigade and the football hipsters share the same sustenance - that sweet sweet feeling of superiority over everyone else - so they have more in common than one might think.

Totally agree. I have a season ticket for a scottish football club. Does that make me a hipster? Or an idiot? [:D]

Some interesting news today. Is this football going one step closer to the TV bubble bursting?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24879138

At the very least, it's the end of Adrian Chiles! [:D]

horribleives -> RE: European football (9/11/2013 12:32:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Pity the plight of the unemployed football hipster. I can't afford air fares so I have to resort to internet streams for my Danish domestic football fix.

I'm still not wholly convinced by your reasoning though - the armchair supporter is the most mainstream person in football. If anything, the 'I go to the matches' brigade and the football hipsters share the same sustenance - that sweet sweet feeling of superiority over everyone else - so they have more in common than one might think.

Erm, there is no reasoning - I was joking. The fact that fans - several of my mates, especially the ones with kids - can't afford to go to the match these days is the single most depressing thing about the modern game.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (9/11/2013 3:04:58 PM)

I thought it was fairly obvious that Ives's tongue was firmly in his cheek, just as the original suggestion was put in a joking way.

But....

I don't really see why the two are mutually exclusive. Due to geography and budget I only get to see my home team play on a very infrequent basis. But when I do, I enjoy the whole experience beers, pies, camaraderie, getting cold and wet and that stuff. My in match analysis is usually limited to "hoof it up to the big lad"... "get it clear"... and "you f&%£ing donkey cock".

Outside of that I like watching EPL, CL, internationals and some la Liga, Bundesliga etc on TV. And I sometimes get the chance to take in a match on my travels. But they always tend to be much more dispassionate affairs where I will care more about tactics, substitutions, etc.

If I can enjoy Expendables 2 as much as The Artist. I don't see why I can't enjoy watching Chesterfield hack it around the park and watch Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund too.

Olaf -> RE: European football (10/11/2013 1:38:05 AM)

See now, the unfortunate thing here is that I was joking as well (I thought I was being pretty obvious at least). I understood the entire exchange wasn't meant seriously... r-right?

Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI