RE: European football (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

Qwerty Norris -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:11:36 PM)

He has a point...

directorscut -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:13:08 PM)

AMAZING finish by Pique. Natural finisher.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:13:58 PM)

Great finish.[:D]

Qwerty Norris -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:17:09 PM)

This could get even worse....

directorscut -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:17:13 PM)

Barca being Muller-ed.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:17:14 PM)

[sm=happy07.gif][sm=happy07.gif][sm=happy07.gif][sm=happy07.gif]

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:17:34 PM)

Barca are being Muller-ed.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:18:18 PM)

This is getting embarassing for Barca. The best team in the world getting ripped apart at their own turf.

But guess what? I'm loving it!

directorscut -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:20:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Barca are being Muller-ed.

Don't steal my (thoroughly original) jokes.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:32:43 PM)

Ze Germans are coming.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:34:05 PM)

Dundee United's proud statistic shattered. [:D]

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:42:48 PM)

Does this mean the English Media's love affair with Spanish football is finally over? Unfortunately because we have an all German final does it mean we're now going to experience a German football love in?

So has the "best team ever" just been on the arse end of the heaviest ever Champions League semi final defeat? Couldn't have happened to a better team.

Goodfella -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:50:02 PM)

7-0 on aggregate!? Pah, that's nothing! Charlton won the Kent Senior Cup 7-1 tonight in 90 minutes, try that on for size! It may have been against Tonbridge but I feel that's beside the point![:D]

directorscut -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 9:58:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

Does this mean the English Media's love affair with Spanish football is finally over?

Well at least Spain had teams that got past the last-16.

(Some) People are too quick to write Barca's obituaries. The team is clearly burnt-out from 5 years of unparalleled success, both for club and country and from old age. Puyol is pretty much gone now. Xavi is 34 now, and while he could still get into Man Utd's first team, he can't performed at a top top club like Barca for an entire season anymore. They haven't got anything upfront if Messi is out. They need replenishment in some key areas but they are far from done.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 10:12:49 PM)

Unlike Suarez, I'm not going to bite.

Rinc -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 10:13:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Does this mean the English Media's love affair with Spanish football is finally over?

(Some) People are too quick to write Barca's obituaries. The team is clearly burnt-out from 5 years of unparalleled success, both for club and country and from old age. Puyol is pretty much gone now. Xavi is 34 now, and while he could still get into Man Utd's first team, he can't performed at a top top club like Barca for an entire season anymore. They haven't got anything upfront if Messi is out. They need replenishment in some key areas but they are far from done.

I think it could be the end of their dominance in Europe playing the football they have. That's partly down to German football but also down to the replenishment they need that you said. Football styles inevitably change and with Guardiola gone and Vilanova missing quite a bit of the season, Barca might have to adapt away from their way of playing.

directorscut -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 10:18:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

I think it could be the end of their dominance in Europe playing the football they have. That's partly down to German football but also down to the replenishment they need that you said. Football styles inevitably change and with Guardiola gone and Vilanova missing quite a bit of the season, Barca might have to adapt away from their way of playing.

To be fair they weren't playing their usual game today. They would hoofing long balls and giving the ball away like I've never seen them in this era. Their pressing also wasn't as intense, which I would put down to burn out.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 10:23:39 PM)

What I dislike about the whole thing is that people seem to always have excuses for teams like Barcelona. Things like they have an ageing team is used as a way to excuse any lesser performances, when it's any other team the same line is used as a negative against them rather than an excuse for performances.

Barcelona for me never had a plan B, and they always had two tactics they struggled to handle, high tempo attacks/pressure or solid defensive displays. The passes they completed and the work rate was fantastic but I still think they were over lauded, for me this Bayern team has been far more astute than Barcelona have ever been over the last few years and they've been far more entertaining.

directorscut -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 10:31:57 PM)

quote:

What I dislike about the whole thing is that people seem to always have excuses for teams like Barcelona.

What I dislike is whenever Barca lose a match (which is still pretty rare) people say "Barca found out!" "Barca not as good as we thought!" "Is this the end of Barca?"

quote:

Barcelona for me never had a plan B

Barca never needed a Plan B. 95 times out of 100 their Plan A would beat the snot out of the opposition.

Isn't Plan B the British way of saying "Hoof the ball up to the big man"?

quote:

The passes they completed and the work rate was fantastic but I still think they were over lauded, for me this Bayern team has been far more astute than Barcelona have ever been over the last few years and they've been far more entertaining.

This Bayern team haven't even won the CL. What if they lose in the final again? How great will they be then?

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 10:37:37 PM)

To elaborate it seems that in the case of Barcelona we laid them and excuse these quite frankly terrible performances because they have suffered from burn out and an ageing squad. Yet with any other team e.g. Chelsea we take a pop at them for relying too heavily on the old guard and building for the here and now instead of looking for long term and aiming for sustainable success.

I'm just bored of this Spanish love-in, particularly that with Barcelona where it appears out media will do nothing but orgasm over them and struggle to ever put them down, even their play acting antics seem to get swept under the rug. A prime example of this Spanish love-in would be last night, it was clear ITV were rooting for Madrid, all the commentary came across as such also.

I think the Germans deserve a lot of the adoration they will no no doubt receive instead of the Spanish teams, but I just hope it's a little less blinkered and one sided.

Rinc -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 10:39:20 PM)

quote:

Barcelona for me never had a plan B, and they always had two tactics they struggled to handle, high tempo attacks/pressure or solid defensive displays. The passes they completed and the work rate was fantastic but I still think they were over lauded, for me this Bayern team has been far more astute than Barcelona have ever been over the last few years and they've been far more entertaining.

Until Bayern have turned their domestic dominance into European dominance I think it's a bit unfair on Barcelona of the last few years to say Bayern have been more astute. And I guess entertaining is more down to opinion, personally I have loved watching Barca at the top of their game.

But I agree about the plan B thing. They've never had a plan B but have relied on their plan A being so awesome they could get away with it. Now their plan A has backfired and suddenly their tactical limitations are exposed. Their biggest problem has not been playing a striker who can move into the channels and take the focus off Messi. That was Eto'o, then Ibrahimovic (who wasn't the best fit but did a job nonetheless) and could have been Villa if not for his injury problems. Not finding a striker and pursuing with the disappointing Sanchez has been unforgiveable on the European front. It seems a bit silly saying this at times because they've strolled to La Liga. But they should be so much better than they have been for the last 5 months or so.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 10:41:12 PM)

quote:

What I dislike is whenever Barca lose a match (which is still pretty rare) people say "Barca found out!" "Barca not as good as we thought!" "Is this the end of Barca?"

I'm not sure if this is a general comment or one aimed at myself, but that isn't what I said, nor implied. As I'm sure I must have made clear I just want an end to the shameless 'Barcelona can do no wrong' obsession our media has over them.

Rinc -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 10:46:42 PM)

quote:

I'm just bored of this Spanish live in, particularly that with Barcelona where it appears out media will do nothing but orgasm over them and struggle to ever put them down, even their play acting antics seem to get swept under the rug. A prime example really would be last night, it was clear ITV were rooting for Madrid, all the commentary came across as such also.

I think the extent of ITV's research is looking up who has won the most CLs lately (Barca) and who have they commentated on the most in the final stages of the last few years (Barca). It's like when a kid sees a film and then proclaims it's the best film they've ever seen for the next week.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 10:47:40 PM)

Oh I agree completely that this worth and status has to be earnt and backed up by winning silverware, I just meant more that at their best performance wise during their years or "supremacy" I genuinely don't believe I saw anything from Barcelona in terms of performance that hasn't been bettered by Bayern this season if not last. I think if Bayern do lose the final they will have definitely under achieved based on their abilities, and it will certainly make Pep's arrival more interesting.

I really don't think Bayern Munich was a good choice from Pep, he's already at the brunt of managing a team he inherited claims, now he's going to be doing the exact same thing instead of proving to people it's his managing prowess.

directorscut -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 10:49:21 PM)

quote:

quote:

I'm not sure if this is a general comment or one aimed at myself, but that isn't what I said not implied, as I'm sure I must have made clear I just want an end to the shameless 'Barcelona can do no wrong' obsession out media has over them.

It was a general comment. Last year people were saying how Chelsea had "found out" Barca and worked out how to play against them.

The fact being that Chelsea were extremely lucky and had Barca put away some of those seven-eight clear cut chances they created no one would be say how genius Chelsea's tactics were or how Barca's tactics were being found out.

Bayern were certainly better than Barca this season. But if this was the Barca team in their prime I suspect the result would have been significantly different.

Rhubarb -> RE: European football (1/5/2013 11:57:25 PM)

quote:

I'm just bored of this Spanish love-in, particularly that with Barcelona where it appears out media will do nothing but orgasm over them and struggle to ever put them down, even their play acting antics seem to get swept under the rug. A prime example of this Spanish love-in would be last night, it was clear ITV were rooting for Madrid, all the commentary came across as such also.

I think the Germans deserve a lot of the adoration they will no no doubt receive instead of the Spanish teams, but I just hope it's a little less blinkered and one sided.

In fairness, ITV needed to root for Real yesterday because if they didn't get back into the game - which was a long shot which they admitted (Roy Keane summed up their chances quite bluntly) then it was not a contest, and one which people wouldn't watch.

Barca have deserved all the praise they have got over the last few years, and were a couple of years ago, arguably the best team anyone had ever seen. The current Barca team has got stale, and while Messi has somehow got even better, an over-realiance on him (which is bizarrely fascinating that players as good as the ones they have are always looking for him) has made them less formiddable. Similarly, Bayern deserve a lot of praise for the way they play, and I don't see how the praise would be unblinkered - they're either great or they are not great. And they are pretty great.

shool -> RE: European football (2/5/2013 12:06:47 AM)

My eight year old lad will be gutted when I tell him in the morning. [:(]

MOTH -> RE: European football (2/5/2013 9:10:11 AM)

I'm not sure referencing ITV in comments about the British media love-in is much use - would it not be better to refer to people who talk sense about football?[:D]

Anyhow, a deserved spanking for Barca over two legs, but I'm with DC here - reports of their demise is clearly silly. Despite being obviously well below their previous standards since last Autumn, they still made it to the CL semi-finals with relative ease, and are cantering to La Liga title. Despite their deficiencies in defence, few have managed to expose them like Bayern did, and are still capable of stunning football.

In his third season at Barca, Guardiola made the point that most great teams have a 3-4 year cycle of success, after which it is hugely difficult to keep the freshness and standards up, regardless of new imports. This was why he was notably reluctant to take Barca for a 4th year, and the cracks were there to see by the end of that year, even though he tried to mix things up by, for example, playing 3 at the back.

The curious thing is that if he believes this, Bayern seem a curious choice, since it seems they are well through their own cycle - this would be the second year of a 3 year cycle, so what can Guardiola do to freshen things up for another 2-3 years?

Qwerty Norris -> RE: European football (2/5/2013 10:57:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

The curious thing is that if he believes this, Bayern seem a curious choice, since it seems they are well through their own cycle - this would be the second year of a 3 year cycle, so what can Guardiola do to freshen things up for another 2-3 years?

Well, signing Gotze & possibly Lewandowski for a start. The likes of Kroos, Alaba, Martinez, Badstuber & Muller are all under 25, whilst the likes of Robben, Ribery, Schweinsteiger, Dante & Neuer are at the pinnacle of their careers and should sustain those levels for at least another 2 or 3 seasons (probably much longer in Neuer's case). Make no mistake, this team aint going away any time soon. They may well dominate the rest (or most) of this decade. In particular, I'm fearful for the competitiveness at the top of the Bundesliga.

As for Barca, they are far from a team in crisis, but they definitely need reinforcements if they're to sustain the levels everyone has come to expect from them over the past five years or so. For my money they still have the best central midfield in world football (although Xavi admittedly has probably peaked), they're just severely lacking options at the back and are too reliant on Messi in the final third. A bit of presence & leadership at both ends of the park & they'll be fine.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (2/5/2013 2:17:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

In particular, I'm fearful for the competitiveness at the top of the Bundesliga.

Well if they keep plundering the best of Borussia that's not going to help matters so much.

Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI