RE: European football (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: European football (13/2/2013 10:10:52 PM)

I've watched Uniteds performances in the last two games (everton and Madrid) and even though I still think they are not clicking as a attacking unit you simply cannot deny how hard they work for eachother.That in its self is hugely admirable.[sm=happy34.gif]
They are a team in that respect.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: European football (13/2/2013 10:19:25 PM)

[image]http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m560/Nexus-wookie/ronaldo.png[/image]

[:(] I've got a lump in my throat.

Saltire -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 1:09:50 AM)

Madrid will up the pace at Old Trafford and get through easily enough. Man U were there for the taking, they really are very mediocre, though good in the box. How anyone can have a go at De Gea though is beyond me, he has to be near enough the best shot-stopper there is now, a wonderful keeper.

The Shakhtar v Dortmund match was a cracker, great game, plenty of goals, entertainment and end-to-end play. If the 2nd leg at Old Trafford is as tactical as the first leg, I'll be watching this one instead, though I expect it to be plain sailing now for Dortmund at home.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 1:19:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

Madrid will up the pace at Old Trafford and get through easily enough. Man U were there for the taking, they really are very mediocre, though good in the box. How anyone can have a go at De Gea though is beyond me, he has to be near enough the best shot-stopper there is now, a wonderful keeper.

The Shakhtar v Dortmund match was a cracker, great game, plenty of goals, entertainment and end-to-end play. If the 2nd leg at Old Trafford is as tactical as the first leg, I'll be watching this one instead, though I expect it to be plain sailing now for Dortmund at home.

Why didn't they up the pace at the Bernabeu? They missed their chance to take a good lead (and infact it was United who should've taken the lead via that RvP effort), and i pretty much doubt they'll dictate terms away at Old Trafford.

Saltire -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 1:51:02 AM)

They can play far better than that, Utd defended decently enough but if Real up it which they have to, then they'll progress.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 7:51:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

They can play far better than that, Utd defended decently enough but if Real up it which they have to, then they'll progress.

But so can Man Utd, the attacking prowess available to Ferguson is not to be underestimated and last night despite having some good chances they weren't at their attacking best. That team was set up to counter attack only, but if Man Utd decided to turn the screw themselves then they could quite easily put a few away. You seem to be forgetting that for all Madrid's big names, their defence isnt really any better than Utd's.

If Man Utd were there for the taking we'd have seen Madrid walk away with the win, but they didn't, Man Utd performed as planned with a very good defensive setup though one that did lose concentration somewhat as the game went on. To go to the Bernabeau and get that result is not something to be sniffed at, Madrid now know they have to score at least 2 to progress so as they attack more they'll open up at the back and it's all to play for, and not forgetting very few travelling teams in Europe grab a win at Old Trafford either.

Also worth pointing out whilst Madrid may have had more chances, De Gea was more than a match for them, whereas I think most will have felt that the missed Utd chances were far bigger chances seeing as the keeper was beaten on each occasion. We can also hope for a better referee than last night, who should really have issued a red card when Evra was brought down.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 8:25:54 AM)

Worth noting I think it's anyone's game though the edge is with Utd with the away goal and their home record, no least forgetting Real's fixture list which I'm certain features Barcelona twice between now and then.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 9:23:51 AM)

Some points on last nights game.

1. Rafael had a shocker in the first half but he was also offered little protection by Rooney who I thought was pretty poor in an unfamiliar role. It's testament to the guy's ddevelopment that he didn't get himself sent off.

2. Di Maria was absolutely class

3. Ramos is a cunt

4. Jones had a great game, Carrick did quite well, Kagawa was as poor as I've seen him play for us and Welbeck was probably our outfield man of the match.

5. De Gea is the bomb, seriously the only keeper in the PL that's currently in the same league as him IMO is Lloris. Sure he's still a bit flappy with crosses but his shot stopping is peerless.

6. Should have been a red card for the foul on Evra and I don't understand why we weren't allowed to take the corner at the end but conversely Real can feel aggrieved at not getting a penalty. Don't get me wrong it would have been a ridiculously soft penalty if it had been given but I've seen them given often enough that I was suprised that Jones got away with it.

7. The comments, mainly elsewhere, by people who hoped we'd get a thumping stating that Real weren't at their best are hilarious. Face it, we're not as poor a team as you wish we were.

jediwarrior -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 9:37:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

To go to the Bernabeau and get that result is not something to be sniffed at, Madrid now know they have to score at least 2 to progress so as they attack more they'll open up at the back and it's all to play for, and not forgetting very few travelling teams in Europe grab a win at Old Trafford either.

Well only 1 if they keep a clean sheet, but I can see both teams scoring in the 2nd leg so it will most likely come down who takes the chances on the day.

jediwarrior -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 9:38:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

6. Should have been a red card for the foul on Evra and I don't understand why we weren't allowed to take the corner at the end but conversely Real can feel aggrieved at not getting a penalty.

Sorry I didn't see the game last night but was time up on the clock? If so the corner doesn't have to be taken the ref is allowed to blow for full time.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 10:09:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

quote:

6. Should have been a red card for the foul on Evra and I don't understand why we weren't allowed to take the corner at the end but conversely Real can feel aggrieved at not getting a penalty.

Sorry I didn't see the game last night but was time up on the clock? If so the corner doesn't have to be taken the ref is allowed to blow for full time.

When I was watching it the commentators said there was 30 secs to spare.

quote:

Madrid will up the pace at Old Trafford and get through easily enough.

And you think Manchester United wont?

Nexus Wookie -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 10:34:36 AM)

Yeah thats what my understanding was, 30 seconds to spare....i feel the referee's decision making in that game was piss poor.

Since the most popular tie is finished (for now) the game i'm most looking forward to watching now is the Arsenal Vs Bayern game...should be a cracker!

Skiba -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 10:37:40 AM)

Cracking game last night. I was probably in the busiest pub in London as before the second half, they were serving pints in plastic glasses! Really enjoyable game though. Madrid probably should've had a pen in the first half, and prob should've had a red card in the second half for the foul on Evra. Captain Obvious here, but Utd will have to win on the night to go through.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 11:11:28 AM)

One other thing it highlighted is that Rooney is certainly going backwards, unfortunately.
He had the control and first touch of Jimmy Saville at a Brownie Jamboree.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 1:25:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

One other thing it highlighted is that Rooney is certainly going backwards, unfortunately.
He had the control and first touch of Jimmy Saville at a Brownie Jamboree.

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case just more his form this season, he's had his good games of course but in general his passing has not been at its best all season. Then again as big a fan as I am of Rooney I've always felt his ability has always been somewhat exaggerated by the media.

Yesterday's game certainly did highlight how much we need a faced paced attacking player like Di Maria, Ozil or of course Ronaldo, as soon as those three chose to put the pace on they were bolting fast if the defender wasnt quick to react.

Skiba -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 1:43:03 PM)

Rooney was asked to do a role last night which he did...you can trust him to do what needs to be done. He didn't influence the game, but if he was playing centrally then I'm sure he would have. They played Van Persie because, well, you have to. That means shifting Rooney wide. I'd rather have him there than Valencia or Nani. Rooney is class, no doubt from me.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 1:48:27 PM)

Rooney did nothing much but leave Rafael exposed and open to be run ragged by Ronaldo/Ozil/Di Maria. Rooney is a very good player but I thought he had a stinker last night although I can't really blame him too much as he was asked to do a job he clearly isn't very good at. He was alright with the ball at his feet but he was absolute gash off the ball.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 2:41:56 PM)

I've said before that imo Rooney has gone back for me. More interested in charging and marauding than skill on the ball.

That doesn't make him a bad player. He does a job for Utd and I'd have him in my team. But I'm afraid that he's not developed to that next level I was really hoping that he'd have the ability to reach.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 5:20:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I've said before that imo Rooney has gone back for me. More interested in charging and marauding than skill on the ball.

That doesn't make him a bad player. He does a job for Utd and I'd have him in my team. But I'm afraid that he's not developed to that next level I was really hoping that he'd have the ability to reach.

Always liked him a the lone striker, yes he can still come deeper (if one of the wider players come inside) but I don't buy into this he needs to play deeper because he can influence the game more. That's just an excuse for not good enough creative players in the midfield.

I'd like to see him upfront for England on his own with the likes of Theo flanking him.

If nothing else it would free up Wilshere from a more holding role alongside Gerrard.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 5:37:30 PM)

You see I can't agree with that because for me he's just not prolific enough infront of goal to act as a lone striker at least not consistently throughout a season. I think, providing his fitness levels don't drop too badly with age, that Rooney's future actually lies in being a midfield engine that likes to push forward rather than the out and out striker role, and I don't mean in the "in the hole" position [insert granny joke here].

I think his enthusiasm and motivational capabilities have a lot more to offer in the middle of the pitch than they do up top, he can be the Roy Keane Ferguson failed to replace, the only difference being that whilst he'll run up and down the pitch to follow the play and have the desire to defend he's just not as accomplished a tackler.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 5:50:24 PM)

quote:

You see I can't agree with that because for me he's just not prolific enough infront of goal to act as a lone striker at least not consistently throughout a season.

He scored 34 goals in 44 appearances last season and the same again in 2009/10.

During his time at United he's scored 194 goals in 391 games. That's pretty much a goal every other game.

I will concede that he tends to score his goals in flurries though and can sometimes go a few games without scoring but for a number 10 his scoring record is fantastic especially when you consider he spent a few years playing second fiddle to Ronaldo.

Skiba -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 5:54:10 PM)

All my Utd mates say that they see Rooney in centre mid but you'd be losing one of the best strikers around...didn't he score 30+ the season after Ronaldo left. Near 30 last year

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 7:24:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

You see I can't agree with that because for me he's just not prolific enough infront of goal to act as a lone striker at least not consistently throughout a season.

He scored 34 goals in 44 appearances last season and the same again in 2009/10.

During his time at United he's scored 194 goals in 391 games. That's pretty much a goal every other game.

I will concede that he tends to score his goals in flurries though and can sometimes go a few games without scoring but for a number 10 his scoring record is fantastic especially when you consider he spent a few years playing second fiddle to Ronaldo.

You're right Harry his recent totals havent been too shoddy, but that is why I did go on to mention the lack of consistency accross a season [:D]

I also think if we were to play him solely as a lone striker and stuck to that formation that number would drop. You can't rely on a lone striker that only scores in flurries as goals from other players would likely reduce due to the formation and style of play.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 10:05:56 PM)

[image]http://i.minus.com/ibwGlB8yaTthEj.gif[/image]
mental[:D]

Saltire -> RE: European football (14/2/2013 10:12:41 PM)

Tbf to the overrated Bale, his second was a beauty tonight too.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: European football (20/2/2013 9:07:05 PM)

AC Milan 1- 0 Barcelona

Come on Milan!

Rinc -> RE: European football (20/2/2013 9:13:24 PM)

Milan's defence has been outstanding tonight. Usually when people say that the defence has still let in quite a few shots and have usually been a bit lucky. But this Milan defence has barely let Barca through.

Barca will score now.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: European football (20/2/2013 9:29:01 PM)

AC...wait..Portsmouth 2- 0 Barcelona

Wow.

Goodfella -> RE: European football (20/2/2013 9:32:52 PM)

I should imagine there are some Portsmouth fans staring very bleakly at their televisions sets right now.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: European football (20/2/2013 9:35:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

AC...wait..Portsmouth 2- 0 Barcelona

Wow.

Ha hope Barca get dumped on their arses. [:D]

Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI