Quitting Sky... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base

gingerdaniel -> Quitting Sky... (15/8/2012 8:53:31 PM)

So i've decided to quit Sky as i'm paying what seems to be a ridiculous amount of money for television services each month.

We've got phone/broadband and tv including HD and movies which tots up to 60 a month.

I'm going to drop the tv services and just use the phone/broadband (not that we use the phone!) for 20 a month.

I'm not overly concerned about losing tv channels as most of the stuff is on the freeview channels anyway.

Now, to the point...

I want a HD freeview recorder, i've read about the HUMAX HD recorders which are about 200 and use the sky dish as an aerial.
Does anyone have any experience of that box or is able to recommend anything similar?

elab49 -> RE: Quitting Sky... (15/8/2012 9:06:03 PM)

I bought a twin tuner Humax after checking out the boxes a few years ago for my parents - still works well and is easy to use. Never had a problem with it. It's Freeview aerial though - I'd guess using the Sky dish would just mean a better picture? 

sanchia -> RE: Quitting Sky... (16/8/2012 6:17:49 PM)

Just a warning. My sister quit Sky about a year and a half ago and they are still stalking her.

My sister actually has a Humax the same as elab (or at least it sounds the same) and it works very well. There was a bit of a problem with some updates a while ago but other than that it works well.

gingerdaniel -> RE: Quitting Sky... (16/8/2012 8:03:29 PM)

What model do you have elab?

From the one i saw on their site it took two coax cables as signal inputs, the same as the sky box.

THIS ONE shows it at the bottom of the page.

elab49 -> RE: Quitting Sky... (16/8/2012 8:15:50 PM)

I'd have to check next time I'm at my parents - it'll be a few years old now though. They had a very good rep for build quality. 

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Quitting Sky... (16/8/2012 11:44:10 PM)

Careful now, they have a mod on their side...

Lucky Day -> RE: Quitting Sky... (17/8/2012 12:20:46 AM)

I sell this stuff for a living. This is about the best around just now I reckon......

http://www.maplin.co.uk/echostar-hds600rs-freesathd-500gb-tv-recorder-with-slingbox-tv-anywhere-531725

You just need to plug the two white leads currently plugged into your Sky box (assuming you have sky plus) into this and you will have all the functionality of a Sky HD box including TV anywhere, HD, Twin Tuner, EPG, Red Button, iPlayer, etc.

They are also very reliable. You will get alot less for your money with Humax.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: Quitting Sky... (17/8/2012 8:09:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Careful now, they have a mod on their side...

[:-] I will hunt you down...................

[:D]

Chief -> RE: Quitting Sky... (17/8/2012 11:14:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

http://www.maplin.co.uk/echostar-hds600rs-freesathd-500gb-tv-recorder-with-slingbox-tv-anywhere-531725

That looks fuck ugly. I wouldn't give it house room.

Sky, as expensive as I think it is, provide a great service.

They're staff are all amazing too. (Freebies my way please Hobbsy...[:D])

Lucky Day -> RE: Quitting Sky... (17/8/2012 8:51:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

That looks fuck ugly. I wouldn't give it house room.

Sky, as expensive as I think it is, provide a great service.

They're staff are all amazing too. (Freebies my way please Hobbsy...[:D])

It's not an ornament though is it? It works really well, is better than a Sky HD box and, if the looks really offend you can always strip it and build it into an old NES case or something.

Sky are a shower of Cunts.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI