Dick Flicks (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

chris kilby -> Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 2:51:59 PM)

My missus resents the pejorative, "Chick Flick" (to which I respond, not half as much as she should resent the hackneyed, weepy pish which the studios think passes for female entertainment!) and counters it with "Dick Flick" - mindless, posturing, macho, often homoerotic and unintentionally camp action movies aimed exclusively at us men. Or rather us boys who refused to grow up. Movies by dicks, for dicks and, usually, starring dicks.

She has a point. But she says this like it's a bad thing. Some of my favourite movies are Dick Flicks - which I suspect is what she was getting at. Dick Flicks are great - who doesn't enjoy a bit of mindless violence every now and then? They are also democratic. They can be enjoyed for what they are or they can be enjoyed "ironically." If you're a dick.

My favourite testosterone-fuelled Dick Flicks include:

PREDATOR
The Dick Flick's Dick Flick. Everyone in it, man and alien, is a massive dick - apart from the token girl, obviously who's only there so we don't think Arnie is gay! Unlike his mates. Blaine and Mac, especially. Get a room, guys...

COMMANDO
THE definitive 80s action movie. If you programmed a computer with every 80s action movie cliche you could think of, Commando would be the end result. It also earns bonus knowing-irony points for including the immortal line: "I can't take any more of this macho bullshit!" And it has the CAMPEST villain ever. The Expendables is a flaccid Dick Flick by comparison.

ROAD HOUSE
Arguably THE campest film of all time, Road House is an equal opportunities Dick Flick. Everyone in it is a dick - goodies, baddies, even the women. At one point an Evil Dick (who clearly has a serious hard-on for Philosophical Dick, Patrick Swayze) actually throws back his mulleted head and goes "MWA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAAAAA...!!!" I was pished and stoned at a midnight screening of this the first time I saw it and I actually thought I was going to die laughing!

Anything starring Jason Statham, Steven Segal and, especially, Chuck Norris - a giant among dicks. King Dong, you could say.

An honourable mention also goes out to Starship Troopers. Not a Dick Flick, per se (although the author of the original book was a colossal, Right Wing Dick of truly eye-watering proportions) but everyone in it is a Nazi Dick and doesn't know it. And neither did the actors playing them! So a satirical Dick Flick, then.

So what are YOUR favourite Dick Flicks?

PS: Not to be confused with Assh*le Movies although inevitably there is some overlap.

(My missus' favourite movie is Aliens, BTW.)

UTB -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 2:54:26 PM)

I think you might want to rethink the use of 'gayest'.

chris kilby -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 2:57:56 PM)

You have a point. If anything, Vernon Wells was even [EDIT] camper in Mad Mad 2.

(That's not a pejorative or a value judgement, BTW. Merely an observation.)

Dannybohy -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:00:15 PM)

RRRROADHOUSE!!

chris kilby -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:05:19 PM)

Roadhouse is so camp it makes The Expendables look like The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

elab49 -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:09:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

You have a point. If anything, Vernon Wells was even gayer in Mad Mad 2.

(That's not a pejorative or a value judgement, BTW. Merely an observation.)

How exactly is it not a pejorative in that sense?

Generally, on the board, we don't allow that as an adjective in this context because that is what gives the word it's meaning. So if you could leave them out and not use them that'd be grand.

elab49 -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:10:55 PM)

Also, a handy term that might separate out good action flicks from the kind you mean - meathead movies. [:)]

Cool Breeze -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:16:25 PM)

On the special edition dvd of Commando, even Rae Dawn Chong admits that Bennet is CLEARLY gay!

'' They offered me a hundred grand, when they said id get my hands on you, i said id do it for nothin ! ''

Pretty much any Arnie or Stallone vehicle from the 80s is a dick flick.

The Expendables is clearly a movie for the boys, Stallone described it in an interview as '' Sex in the city for men ''.

elab49 -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:21:43 PM)

You get female meatheads too. Sadly. 

chris kilby -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:23:57 PM)

OK, campest villain ever, then. Sorry. No offence meant - ironically, every website I go on, sooner or later I always end up getting accused of being "Mr PC." Whatever that means! I'm surprised it hasn't happened here yet. (Isn't "homoerotic" just a fancy way of saying The G Word...?)

And while "meathead movies" isn't without its charm, I think Dick Flick has a certain ring to it. Besides, you'd have to have a word with my missus about that - she coined the term. [sm=zwinker25.gif]

chris kilby -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:26:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

You get female meatheads too. Sadly. 

I suspect they are very much in the minority, though.

Discodez -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:27:01 PM)

Top Gun

clownfoot -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:30:46 PM)

Neither Predator or Starship Troopers are dick flicks. Bachelor Party on the otherhand...

elab49 -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:32:04 PM)

quote:

OK, campest villain ever, then. No offence meant - ironically, every website I go on, sooner or later I always end up getting accused of being "Mr PC." Whatever that means! I'm surprised it hasn't happened here yet. (Isn't "homoerotic" just a fancy way of saying The G Word...?)

And while "meathead movies" isn't without its charm, I think Dick Flick has a certain ring to it. Besides, you'd have to have a word with my missus about that - she coined the term. [sm=zwinker25.gif]

Nope, it's an attempt to analyse a relationship as presented on screen - depending on the spin you get 'homoerotic' or 'bromance' normally. And yes - what most people mean is 'camp' [:)]

chris kilby -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:32:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Top Gun

I would just like to say, unequivocally and on the record, that there is nothing even remotely, er, homoerotic about Top Gun either overtly or subtextually. Nor is there anything remotely camp about it either, intentionally or unintentionally. I don't know where anyone gets that idea from.

(It is full of Flying Dicks in desperate need of a slap, though.)

chris kilby -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:33:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Neither Predator or Starship Troopers are dick flicks. Bachelor Party on the otherhand...

No, that's a Prick Flick! [:D]

clownfoot -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:35:45 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

No, that's a Prick Flick! [:D]

Well, the obvious gag was a 'Nick the Dick flick'...

chris kilby -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:37:50 PM)

Just nobody mention Dr Frederick Wertham in relation to Batman... [sm=confused42.gif]

Discodez -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 3:41:42 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Top Gun

I would just like to say, unequivocally and on the record, that there is nothing even remotely, er, homoerotic about Top Gun either overtly or subtextually. Nor is there anything remotely camp about it either, intentionally or unintentionally. I don't know where anyone gets that idea from.

(It is full of Flying Dicks in desperate need of a slap, though.)

I've said it before and I will say it again (although when I said it in the top gun thread someone accused me of being a homophobe!) Top Gun is more camp than spending Christmas at Dale Winton's house, with a cabaret performance by Danny la Rue and Liberace thrown in for good measure [;)]

chris kilby -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 4:23:21 PM)

Top Gun is camper than a fire sale at GO!
Top Gun is camper than Glastonbury.
Top Gun is camper than David.

(It's still not as camp as Roadhouse, though. Or Bennett's string vest in Commando.)

DancingClown -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 4:40:23 PM)

I wouldn't call Aliens a dick-flick at all. There's enough oestrogen in that film to refloat the Mary Rose.

st3veebee -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 4:51:21 PM)

What was that Dolph Lungren/ Brandon Lee film from the 90s where Brandon literally comments on the vastness of Dolph's Purple Headed Warrior? In a completely heteroo-way of course.

The oppostie type of action film would be Die Hard, with an everyman who loves his wife and isn't afraid to cry on the radio trasnmitter.

horribleives -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 4:53:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

I wouldn't call Aliens a dick-flick at all. There's enough oestrogen in that film to refloat the Mary Rose.

And despite all their macho posturing, most of the annoying marines arses fall out when they start getting picked off, leaving it to a woman and a little girl to 'man up'.

Bloke from Oz -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 5:11:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

What was that Dolph Lungren/ Brandon Lee film from the 90s where Brandon literally comments on the vastness of Dolph's Purple Headed Warrior? In a completely heteroo-way of course.

Showdown in Little Tokyo.

chris kilby -> RE: Dick Flicks (15/8/2012 6:01:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

I didn't suggest it was. I was merely pointing out that me missus' favourite movie wasn't Steel Magnolias or some shit like that. She wouldn't be my missus if it was.

Whistler -> RE: Dick Flicks (16/8/2012 2:08:05 AM)

'Dick' doesn't sound like a real word anymore.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Dick Flicks (16/8/2012 4:00:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

On the special edition dvd of Commando, even Rae Dawn Chong admits that Bennet is CLEARLY gay!

But on his commentary, the director says he doesn't understand why people think that. At least, he didn't at the time, I'm sure he's worked it out now.

hozay -> RE: Dick Flicks (16/8/2012 5:10:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

But on his commentary, the director says he doesn't understand why people think that. At least, he didn't at the time, I'm sure he's worked it out now.

Maybe it's just Vernon Well's poor or hammy acting that comes across as a bit camp. He certainly hammed it up in Mad Max 2 but then that's about as camp as they come, the bad guys anyway and they weren't much different in the original.

spark1 -> RE: Dick Flicks (16/8/2012 10:12:07 AM)

'be nice til its time not to be nice'
'i thought you'd be bigger'
'i used to fuck guys like in prison!'
'you like my collection, dalton? all thats missing is your ass!'

'let's have a batchelor party with chicks and guns and fire trucks!!!!'

chris kilby -> RE: Dick Flicks (17/8/2012 3:34:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

'Dick' doesn't sound like a real word anymore.

Yeah, it's funny how words seem to lose their meaning through repetition.

(Spaceman Spiff rocks, BTW!)

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI