Counter Strike: Global Offensive Now with Mini-Review of Beta (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad

st3veebee -> Counter Strike: Global Offensive Now with Mini-Review of Beta (9/8/2012 3:31:38 PM)

Anyone else picked or picking this up? I preordered yesterday on Steam and get the early Beta access next week. I've heard some iffy things about it to be honest but ... it's Counter Strike! Can't be bad, can it?

Graphics are nothing special but it is a nice price (around 12Euro preorder) and hopefully more of the same from one of the greatest multiplayer gaming series of all time.
[image]http://cdn3.mixrmedia.com/wp-uploads/wirebot/blog/2011/09/211992-header.jpg[/image]

directorscut -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (9/8/2012 4:25:35 PM)

I never got into Counter Strike. Hated the fact that if you died once you were out of the game.

Day of Defeat FTW!

kata -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (9/8/2012 4:27:11 PM)

A long long time ago a few of us from here played CS:S for a while. I remember us all being terrible. [:D]

In fact I think it was on the old forum.

paulyboy -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (10/8/2012 12:01:01 PM)

Yep, we were shit! [:D]

Haven't played Counter-Strike for yonks, loved it back in the day but it's not an easy game to slip back into considering the only people still playing it are the real hardcore crowd, which means playing with any degree of success these days is nigh on impossible for a casual player like myself.

Still, this new version looks nice, nice to see it's coming to Xbox and the like also, will definitely give it a spin!

rich -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (10/8/2012 6:43:27 PM)

CS:Source was fun at the time but this will probably just be another console shooter

st3veebee -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (13/8/2012 11:12:13 AM)

Honestly I don't have that high hopes. Valve are going all out in order to get people to play it though: Counter Strike : Source (2004) is still 19.99 Euro on Steam while this new one is full price 14.00 Euro?

Completely agree about the hardcore element as well. I play a fair amount of games (but never really focus on just one) and even when I played Source back in the day fairly regularly I was lightyears behind the core players. If GO is just an updated version of that I will be struglling all over again.

With all that said, I still think CS: Source holds up extremely well today, mainly due to the weapons still feeling individually brilliant, excellent maps and . Should they get that right on GO then I will be happy as that chap Larry.

Beta begins tomorrow!

jonson -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (13/8/2012 11:32:06 AM)

Love it, will definately get it.
I don't do online Xboxing but prefer a PC, there's nothing better than popping into Office or Italy for half an hour and chucking some nades around [:D]

st3veebee -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (14/8/2012 11:42:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I don't do online Xboxing but prefer a PC, there's nothing better than popping into Office or Italy for half an hour and chucking some nades around [:D]

Good to hear! If you are on Steam and pick up the game feel free to add me. Username is probably St3veebee.

st3veebee -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (16/8/2012 11:14:30 AM)

The Beta did indeed show up on the 14th, as promised. Only at about 11.30pm for me, still, better than Diablo 3 opening day [:D].

So after leaving it installing on Tuesday night I finally got home to play it yesterday evening. Upon getting into a game (extremely easily I should add) I was instantly I was hit by just how familiar the game is, haven't quite decided the overall score but here's what I thought anyway, a mini review of sorts:

The Sound: Anyone who has played any of the previous CS games will feel right at home with the sound in the latest game. Inventory clicks, announcements and gun sounds feels very familiar, if perhaps a little cleaner. Some might get mad at Valve not updating a lot of the database but it just wouldn't feel like CS without these sounds.

The Maps: I only tried two maps out in my session last night. The first, Train,  was in the older games and is a very solid defusal-themed map with the central train area ensuing great shootout. Next I tried Dust, because, you have to. And....it's Dust. It's the exact same as before only a little prettier. Haven't tried any of my favourite levels out yet: Inferno, Nuke  and of course the one and only Office.

The Graphics: Take a look for yourself:

[image]http://mp1st.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Screen-Shot-2012-06-16-at-4.05.45-PM-650x400.png[/image]

It's not exactly BF3, but it was never going to be. Counter Strike never had the best graphics but relied on its core gameplay that keeps you coming back for more. That's not to say that CS:GO looks bad, just nothing exceptional.

The Gameplay: This is what CS was always about and will be the test of GOs longevity. Bottom line: it's more of the same. This is obviously great considering the first CS game is still the third most played game on Steam and the community is incredibly strong, so more of a proven formula can only be good, right? (That's CODs theory anyway...).  Mostly, yes. I haven't played enough to really say just how similar every aspect is but so far the hit registering is great, its fast and frantic and of course tense as hell knowing that once you are dead you have to wait for the round to end. No huge maps like in BF here, it's defintely more COD like, which for me is a plus. Only less teen wankers on mics.

It's not all the exact same.There is competetive (Earn money through winning or kills) and casual (no money/weapon restrictions) game modes You can now play maps in bundles (pre-made playlists of demolition of deathmatch maps), individually and also have the option of Arsenal game mode which is a more official title for Gun-Game from the old games. Once you get a kill in a round you begin the next round with the next weapon in the list, which I found to be quite a nice addition, especially at the beginning when you are figuring out the weapons. Speaking of which....

The Weapons: I can't lie, I have always adored the weapons in CS. Everyone has their favourites but the bottom line to me is that the pistols are sharp and useful, the shotguns are loud and nasty, the SMGs make you feel like John McClane and the rifles are perfectly balanced. (Not a sniper fan myself). I probably used about 6 weapons in total yesterday and it feels as balanced as ever. All the classics are there: the deagle, the twin berretas (which I feel are too close together now), the AK-47 

Some new additions to equipment that people might be interested in include:

-Molotov Cocktail: Yup GTAs pocket friend is now in CS. Great for blocking doorways or blind firing.

-Decoy Grenades: Exactly as in COD this grenade, when throw, emits gun sounds to distract or lure enemies into a trap.

-Zeus x27: A taser gun. Not just any taser gun though, a one hit KO taser gun. The catch? You get one shot and its only in casual mode at the minute.

Bottom Line: Ok so there are little tweaks here and there (can shoot through certain object now) and new items and even 8 new maps to try out. What it really boils down to is:

Do you like the older Counter Strike games? If so, would you like some new guns, maps and better graphics? Yes? This is the game for you.

*My advice is to get it now and get some practice, as once the hardcore crowd takes over you will need a fair amount of gameplay hours in just to survive.

jonson -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (16/8/2012 12:23:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

Good to hear! If you are on Steam and pick up the game feel free to add me. Username is probably St3veebee.

Yeah, will do, nice review btw.
Saw a trailer for CS:GO before TDKR on the cinema.......I was drooling.
One of my friends who didn't like the previous Batman films is going just to see the CS trailer [:D]

st3veebee -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (16/8/2012 1:11:36 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

Yeah, will do, nice review btw.
Saw a trailer for CS:GO before TDKR on the cinema.......I was drooling.
One of my friends who didn't like the previous Batman films is going just to see the CS trailer [:D]

Cheers. I remember going to see a film largely due to the BF3 trailer beforehand (can't actually remember the film and I saw that ad a few times..).

Can't wait for the weekend to put some serious gaming time into the game. Must stock up on Red Bull.

paulyboy -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (16/8/2012 2:57:37 PM)

I reckon this will sell like hot cakes on console, it's the kind of game the hardcore Xbox/Playstation crowds will lap up, fully expect lots of matchmaking and server issues next Tuesday as the every man and his dog try to download a copy.

I've got 2,500 MS points burning a hole in my pocket so they'll definitely be getting spent.

paulyboy -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (22/8/2012 4:59:01 PM)

Bought this on Xbox this morning and played for an hour or so. It's like slipping into a pair of comfy old slippers, oh how I've missed thee Counter-Strike!

That said, bugger me it's hard!

the anomaly -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (23/8/2012 9:18:01 PM)

Oh wow. Quite a demo. Laggy as hell in game. Off line couldn't should my gun, crouch ... hell I couldn't do anything but walk around. [:-]

paulyboy -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (23/8/2012 10:30:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

Oh wow. Quite a demo. Laggy as hell in game.

It's been fine for me, but I've been playing in the mornings, don't know if that makes a difference. Internet is flooded with people having lag issues though, usual problems etc. Presume it'll get sorted eventually, either via a patch or when the traffic cools down.

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

Off line couldn't should my gun, crouch ... hell I couldn't do anything but walk around. [:-]

There's a glitch with the trial I think, read about it in a few places, sometimes the controller mappings go blank so you can't do anything, you have to go to the option menu and reset them to defaults to get them back etc.

st3veebee -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (24/8/2012 10:36:14 AM)

This on the Xbox i presume..

JAYDAK1SS -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (24/8/2012 7:46:37 PM)

Got the demo, said I have 45 min to play it. Didn't mention that I would be spending most of that looking at the loading screen. Is it meant to take real long to get into a game?

paulyboy -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (24/8/2012 9:38:30 PM)

Takes 20 seconds or so for me, most of that is loading the map, actually finding a game takes just a few seconds.

I think it's safe to say the game is pretty shagged on Xbox currently, I haven't had a single issue but everyone else I've spoken to has had nothing but problems. Maybe it's just something to do with the trial, must admit I just jumped straight in and bought the thing, didn't play with the trial at all.

bub -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (26/8/2012 3:33:42 PM)

Bought it on XBOX as well and had no problems at all. Never played CS before it feels like I'm playing Left 4 Dead without the zombies. I don't like not being able to scope in but other than that it's a nice fast paced game with best of ten rounds being over surprisingly quickly. One criticism is that it seems almost pointless having bombs or hostages as very rarely does the game ever get that far as everyone dies! Nice to have an old school FPS though with no perks/vehicles/killstreaks etc

sroey -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (28/8/2012 10:13:22 AM)

Couldnt get into this at all...just doesnt seem right playing Counter Strike on my Xbox lol

Much prefer CS:Source on the PC, admittedly I only played the trial but didnt like it for some reason. Fired up the PC and that felt great...

paulyboy -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (28/8/2012 10:59:12 AM)

Sold my PC off a while back and just got a laptop, which sadly doesn't have a beefy enough GPU to play most games, but if I had the choice I'd definitely be playing this on PC.

That said I've warmed to it quite well on Xbox, as fiddly as it can seem on a pad (especially without the console patented aim assist) practice does make perfect.......ish.

That said even on console this is still quite a hard game to make progress with online, you can see there's already quite a gulf forming between players in terms of ability, there's always that fucker who seemingly has pinpoint accuracy with an AK-47 and headshots from halfway across the map, even with a control pad. Also judging from the chase cams most of the players have some sort of history with the PC game I'm guessing, there's little things they do here and there on certain maps that clue you in, things that are normally learnt over a period of months/years on the original, not 6 days on the Xbox.

jonson -> RE: Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The new one) (5/9/2012 5:57:15 PM)

I've only played CS on PC, my prefered choice really. This looks great though, I spent half an hour wandering round Office just taking in the new details, sadly getting shot a lot. [:D]
I'm not sure about the process of selecting guns (I just prefered hammering the numbers on the keyboard) although it is nice not having to buy Kevlar and a helmet every time.
I've not tried out all the guns, give me an AK or P90 every time, but will have another blast tongiht and see hwta other chnages have been made. I am a self confessed CS bore though, I would have been happy playing the old one for the next hundred years so this is great (not so sure the wife is overly impressed though, she thinks I'm far too old for that shit [:D])

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI