At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

ElephantBoy -> At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (4/8/2012 4:47:03 PM)

This is very much a grey area to me. People often consider acting to be a young persons career or at least when it comes to Hollywood, but I am not so convinced. First off acting is one of those rare careers where providing you stay fit it can be a life long job which you can start at any age and carry on into your 80s or beyond? Also if you look at a guy like Dicaprio it has only been in the last couple of years in his mid-thirties when he has started to come into his own as a actor. I know he isn't what you could call old per say but it has certainly taken him almost twenty years to start producing the goods. And look at the likes of Streep, Depardieu, Von Sydow still going strong in their later years. Bullock only just won her first Oscar at age 50, don't get me wrong it was for a shit film which she was not great in but still it says something.

I guess in many cases actors tend to pick in their mid to late 30s, it seems like the ones who go through a process and keep a good head on them tend to have more longivty. What do you think?

Darth Marenghi -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (4/8/2012 5:04:42 PM)

Disagree completely about DiCaprio - he's been giving good performances for 20 years, he didn't suddenly just become good one day.

Whistler -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (5/8/2012 9:39:00 AM)

It can't be a generalisation, it just depends on the individual. But in my eyes a good actor's always at their peak, regardless of their age.

elab49 -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (5/8/2012 9:46:23 AM)

WHo says acting is a young persons career? Some of the greatest roles are ones that actors practice a lifetime for - the Lear's, e.g.

Is this perhaps confusing acting generally with the burnout rate of pretty people that decorate films without necessarily acting in them?

matty_b -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (5/8/2012 10:09:04 AM)

I'd also disagree about DiCaprio - he still hasn't bettered the performance he gave in Gilbert Grape. What was he, 12?

BudBaxter -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (5/8/2012 10:11:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy
Bullock only just won her first Oscar at age 50, don't get me wrong it was for a shit film which she was not great in but still it says something.

If that's Sandra Bullock, she's only 48 now & won it 2 years ago.

& winning an Oscar is no sign of someone being at the peak of their game anymore. These days for anyone over 40 it's usually a commiseration prize.

rawlinson -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (5/8/2012 10:22:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I'd also disagree about DiCaprio - he still hasn't bettered the performance he gave in Gilbert Grape. What was he, 12?

He bettered it with The Basketball Diaries, but that was only 2 years later. But yeah, with a few exceptions, DiCaprio has been giving great performances since he was around 18/19.

Super Hans -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (5/8/2012 10:33:12 AM)

I think it's probably near impossible to pin it down to a definitive age, it varies so much. 30s/40s seems to spring to mind, but that's probably based on the careers of the likes of George Clooney, Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio - although as others have rightly pointed out, he's been solid for years. On the other hand, you have the Haley Joel Osments and Macaulay Culkin who were pretty much forgotten about by the time their balls dropped [:D].

Whistler -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (5/8/2012 10:55:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

I think it's probably near impossible to pin it down to a definitive age, it varies so much. 30s/40s seems to spring to mind, but that's probably based on the careers of the likes of George Clooney, Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio - although as others have rightly pointed out, he's been solid for years. On the other hand, you have the Haley Joel Osments and Macaulay Culkin who were pretty much forgotten about by the time their balls dropped [:D].

He was such a brilliant young actor, I was surprised how he just dropped off the radar.

ElephantBoy -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (6/8/2012 2:51:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

He bettered it with The Basketball Diaries, but that was only 2 years later. But yeah, with a few exceptions, DiCaprio has been giving great performances since he was around 18/19.

Trouble is I don't agree. Basketball Diaries is a terrible film and he is crap in it. Along with Romeo and Juliet WEGG was the only noteable performance of his career up to about five years ago. Of course he didn't just transform into a great actor over night, but I do think he has reached a maturity now which he just didn't have in the 90s.

Super Hans -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (7/8/2012 1:41:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

He was such a brilliant young actor, I was surprised how he just dropped off the radar.

Yeah, it is a bit of an odd one.  I've only seen him in AI and The Sixth Sense, but I'm not sure he even did anything particularly bad film wise?  I noticed from his IMDB profile that he does a fair bit of computer game voiceovers.

st3veebee -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (7/8/2012 3:32:47 PM)

I think talent is talent regardless. It is just that at the beginning of an actors career they have to prove themselves in order to get subsequent roles (or else just rely on looks...) and then they proceed to put the effort in order to get critical acclaim and awards.

Then it is up the actors themselves as to whether they pick challenging roles or simply easy location work to pick up the fat paycheque. It's not as if they have lost any acting skills...but rather the drive in order to produce the performances.  For every De Niro there is a Plummer.

ElephantBoy -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (7/8/2012 3:56:16 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

Yeah, it is a bit of an odd one.  I've only seen him in AI and The Sixth Sense, but I'm not sure he even did anything particularly bad film wise?  I noticed from his IMDB profile that he does a fair bit of computer game voiceovers.

Hes in a pretty rotten film called Pay It Forward but I don't think he is bad in it or anything. Was he not nominated for an Oscar for Sixth Sense? He was excellent in that. Maybe the roles just have not come for him since.

st3veebee -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (7/8/2012 4:01:47 PM)

I sadly think it is due to the fact that while he has gotten taller and grown up, his face has remained the exact same. It's unnerving.

mclane1 -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (7/8/2012 7:08:26 PM)

what a silly thread

DancingClown -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (7/8/2012 7:46:41 PM)

[sm=18.gif]

Super Hans -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (7/8/2012 7:51:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I sadly think it is due to the fact that while he has gotten taller and grown up, his face has remained the exact same. It's unnerving.

I couldn't have worded that better myself![sm=happy07.gif]

superdan -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (7/8/2012 8:31:34 PM)

I don't think there's any age, it just depends on the actor. I don't think Natalie Portman has been better than she was as a kid, but she's won an Oscar since then.

Biggus -> RE: At what age roughly would you say a actor peaks? (8/8/2012 7:46:12 AM)

De Niro's Peak
[image]http://bluraymedia.ign.com/bluray/image/article/956/956319/raging-bull-20090223024213935-000.jpg[/image]

Day-Lewis' Peak
[image]http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/dlpeeps.jpg[/image]

Dante's Peak
[image]http://www.geologistsinthemovies.com/GITMOS/Dantes_Peak_files/Dantes%20Peak%20-%20Harry%20inspects%20a%20rock.jpg[/image]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI