RE: Worst fake accent? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

paul_lfc -> RE: Worst fake accent? (4/8/2012 7:28:44 PM)

The lad in Green Street

Not a film and I love the character but Tyrion In Game of Thrones, too pronounced if hes trying to fit in with the british cast but saying that his character doesn't come from anywhere real anyway so I suppose he can sound however he wants

Shifty Bench -> RE: Worst fake accent? (4/8/2012 7:45:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_lfc

The lad in Green Street

Yeah, an English lad doing a bad English accent.......it's quite embarrassing, really. [:D]

(I know it's a regional thing, but still....)

horribleives -> RE: Worst fake accent? (4/8/2012 7:58:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

The lad in Green Street

Yeah, an English lad doing a bad English accent.......it's quite embarrassing, really. [:D]

Hmm, l'm not sure. I'm from the north-east (like him out of Green Street) and if I do say so myself I can do a pretty impressive cockney accent so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for a trained actor.

Cool Breeze -> RE: Worst fake accent? (5/8/2012 10:44:41 AM)

Everyone in Troy.

Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

But yes, the award must go to Keanu in Dracula.

fuzzy -> RE: Worst fake accent? (5/8/2012 8:16:22 PM)

Harrison Ford's Scottish accent in Last Crusade, but it was an intentionally comical scene and the butler he was talking to didn't even buy it! [:D]

In general, bad attempts at accents definitely take me out of the film. I've got more tolerance for it when it's a comedy though.

DancingClown -> RE: Worst fake accent? (5/8/2012 8:20:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

In general, bad attempts at accents definitely take me out of the film. I've got more tolerance for it when it's a comedy though.

Yeah, like Don Cheadle in Ocean's. He just about gets away with it.

Sean Bean's American accent in Silent Hill is utter gash. I know people deride Keanu's accent in Dracula but I actually think Winona's is worse.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Worst fake accent? (5/8/2012 9:13:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

The lad in Green Street

Hmm, l'm not sure. I'm from the north-east (like him out of Green Street) and if I do say so myself I can do a pretty impressive cockney accent so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for a trained actor.

Yeah, you sound good at the impression......to you. We all sound great at voices in our own heads, I think I can do a great Scouse accent but it's probably crap. As for the Green Street guy, I was going to say it's because he's a crap actor but he seems to be doing ok for himself as an American on US TV. Maybe he had an American voice coach on Green Street, that happens on film sets often.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Worst fake accent? (5/8/2012 10:11:52 PM)

Ray Winstones in Fool's Gold and The Departed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIxQFUV_AcA [:D]

Shifty Bench -> RE: Worst fake accent? (5/8/2012 10:20:49 PM)

I still say Josh Hartnett's in Blow Dry is the worst. He's supposed to be from Yorkshire but if I didn't know that there is no way I could tell you where the character was from!

rich -> RE: Worst fake accent? (6/8/2012 12:22:04 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNh1fyn19o

Frank Castle -> RE: Worst fake accent? (6/8/2012 12:37:05 AM)

anytime clive owen attempts an american accent is shocking

benny the jet -> RE: Worst fake accent? (6/8/2012 1:39:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

anytime clive owen attempts an american accent is shocking

This

DancingClown -> RE: Worst fake accent? (6/8/2012 8:58:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Ray Winstones in Fool's Gold and The Departed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIxQFUV_AcA [:D]

Nothing wrong with Winstone in Departed. That's a tough accent to nail anyhow.

SwozTheRevenge -> RE: Worst fake accent? (6/8/2012 9:15:51 AM)

[image]http://filmjournal.net/danielstephens/files/2007/10/rounders3jpg.jpg[/image]

BudBaxter -> RE: Worst fake accent? (6/8/2012 10:59:39 AM)

Gerard Butler every time he attempts an American Accent. Stop trying Gerry - You can't do it!

Pierce Brosnan's Irish accent in Butterfly on a Wheel. & he's Irish!

The Sadistic Puffin -> RE: Worst fake accent? (6/8/2012 1:58:46 PM)

Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own

Vitamin F -> RE: Worst fake accent? (6/8/2012 2:23:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BudBaxter

Gerard Butler every time he attempts an American Accent. Stop trying Gerry - You can't do it!

Pierce Brosnan's Irish accent in Butterfly on a Wheel. & he's Irish!

This is the one I was going to post having watched it recently. Terrible.

Also the great Brendan Gleeson does a crap American accent in Green Zone.

chris kilby -> RE: Worst fake accent? (7/8/2012 1:51:50 AM)

John Barrowman - Aw, c'mon! Nobody actually sounds like that. Do they...?

Cary Grant - "Nobody talks like that!"

Robert Shaw - I love Robert Shaw. I love Jaws. I love Robert Shaw in Jaws. But what the hell was that accent supposed to be? Cornish? Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women, ARRR, Jim, me lad, etc!

Shifty Bench -> RE: Worst fake accent? (7/8/2012 2:15:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

Barrowman is Scottish but brought up in America, so there is a mix of accents in there from time to time. When he is with his Scottish family, he breaks out the accent but when he is acting or talking to someone non-Scottish, he speaks in his usual American tinged tones. He even does it with other Scots, in a commentary for season three of Doctor Who, he often speaks 'Scots' in the presence of David Tennant. Evidence of him speaking all Scottish-like- click WARNING: This video contains Matthew Wright and the Loose Women!

So, he basically has two speaking voices but he admits it himself, the American accent is a defence mechanism he didn't really grow out of because he got bullied when he spoke Scottish to kids in America when he first moved there. (I knew this before I watched the above video, how sad is that? )[:D]

st3veebee -> RE: Worst fake accent? (7/8/2012 3:19:00 PM)

Apparently Americans just don't notice accents much. Whether a British/Irish actor is heard replicating a note perfect regional american accent or just adding "dude" to the end of every other sentence, they don't seem to notice/care on the whole*.

Similarly that's why their attempts at accents are a little iffy at times.

*No generalisations exist in the above statements.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Worst fake accent? (7/8/2012 8:16:10 PM)

Well, a lot of Americans thought Hugh Laurie was American when he was in House an probably did so for most of the show's run.

Hood_Man -> RE: Worst fake accent? (7/8/2012 8:17:46 PM)

That's because Hugh Laurie is the greatest actor in history.

Biggus -> RE: Worst fake accent? (7/8/2012 8:19:32 PM)

I love when Gillian Anderson uses her English accent.

In fact I just love Gillian Anderson.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Worst fake accent? (7/8/2012 8:27:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Well, there is that [:D]

Whistler -> RE: Worst fake accent? (8/8/2012 1:59:48 AM)

quote:

Well, a lot of Americans thought Hugh Laurie was American when he was in House an probably did so for most of the show's run.

When I first watched The Wire I didn't know who Idris Elba was, and I was SO shocked when I found out he was British. His American accent is genuinely perfect. (And yes, this is the exact opposite of the original question).

Russ Whitfield -> RE: Worst fake accent? (8/8/2012 9:39:04 AM)

As we're on opposite track, the bloke who plays Stonebridge in Sky One's Strike Back: Project Dawn does an amazing English accent. I nearly feel off the couch when I watched the "making of" to find out he's from the US.

chris kilby -> RE: Worst fake accent? (8/8/2012 9:56:18 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

Barrowman is Scottish but brought up in America, so there is a mix of accents in there from time to time. When he is with his Scottish family, he breaks out the accent but when he is acting or talking to someone non-Scottish, he speaks in his usual American tinged tones. He even does it with other Scots, in a commentary for season three of Doctor Who, he often speaks 'Scots' in the presence of David Tennant. Evidence of him speaking all Scottish-like- click WARNING: This video contains Matthew Wright and the Loose Women!

So, he basically has two speaking voices but he admits it himself, the American accent is a defence mechanism he didn't really grow out of because he got bullied when he spoke Scottish to kids in America when he first moved there. (I knew this before I watched the above video, how sad is that? )[:D]

I'm about to get sadder. On a Doctor Who DVD commentary, Barrowman states that he'd love to do an episode set in Glasgow so Captain Jack would have an excuse to do a Glaswegian accent - which Barrowman then switches on and off like a light, admitting that's how he still talks when he's with his family. Spooky - an' ah'm a 'Wegie masel'!

([sm=schild15.gif] But they should do a Doctor Who in Glasgow - there are still TARDISes dotted all over the place!)

chris kilby -> RE: Worst fake accent? (8/8/2012 9:57:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

What, better than Barrowman!?! [sm=confused42.gif]

AxlReznor -> RE: Worst fake accent? (8/8/2012 1:41:45 PM)

Not one mention of Mickey Rooney in Breakfast At Tiffany's. Maybe everything else about that character makes people forget that the accent is also awful...

chris kilby -> RE: Worst fake accent? (8/8/2012 1:55:05 PM)

Any American actor attempting an Oirish accent - Brad Pitt, Mickey Rourke, James Coburn in A Fistful of Dynamite etc. Begorrah!

(And an honourable mention for Shir Sean Connery in The Untouchablesh - the most vershatile actor in the world. Provided he'sh playing a Shcotshman!)

And speaking of James Coburn - how about his "Australian" accent in The Great Escape?

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI