Gore Vidal Dies (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics

elab49 -> Gore Vidal Dies (1/8/2012 10:47:30 AM)

I won't add RIP - he'd probably find it ridiculous.

One of America's greatest writers and, more importantly, speakers. He defined American history in a series of fascinating novels as well as taking side-leaps into the weird and wonderful like Live from Golgotha.

He was an important essayist and funny as hell (I was fortunate enough to see him at the Edin Book Festival) and it was sad that he seemed to have a fall out with Hitchens (C) his annointed dauphin (partly around what I thought was a misjudgement in his view of Timothy McVey).

An amazing writer and someone I've long admired and sought out to read for years, more likely to puncture pomposity than to show it. Along with McVey, though, in latter years he espoused the odd dodgy view (Polanski) and wasn't writing as much, sadly.

If for nothing else he'll be remembered for his response to Mailer punching him over a bad review - Words fail Mr Mailer. Yet again.

KnightofZyryab -> RE: Gore Vidal Dies (1/8/2012 11:31:44 AM)

I never read much Vidal but saw a few interviews with him - always a courter of controversy and a towering intellect, writers like him should always be necessary in the world for producing challenging perspectives and questioning political, social and cultural norms.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Gore Vidal Dies (1/8/2012 11:39:17 AM)

A legendary intellect - RIP

Rhubarb -> RE: Gore Vidal Dies (1/8/2012 1:35:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

If for nothing else he'll be remembered for his response to Mailer punching him over a bad review - Words fail Mr Mailer. Yet again.

Imagine having a) the wit, and b) the wherewithall to deliver that line after being smacked in the face. Incredible. Should be missed just for that.

Darth Marenghi -> RE: Gore Vidal Dies (1/8/2012 6:59:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Along with McVey, though, in latter years he espoused the odd dodgy view (Polanski)

I wish you hadn't mentioned this bit - I looked up an interview. Ugh. [&:]

elab49 -> RE: Gore Vidal Dies (1/8/2012 7:21:58 PM)

He wasn't at his strongest in latter years I think. He was a good deal quieter after the whole McVey stuff and the articles and pieces he wrote about that, but would occasionally pop up and slap down idiots for the hell of it.

Saltire -> RE: Gore Vidal Dies (1/8/2012 7:53:08 PM)

He was always worth a listen to, there's too many people who spout their mouth these days and utter nonsense. Not Vidal, whether you agreed with him or not, he always spoke his point well.

RIP Gore Vidal.

NinjaShortbread212 -> RE: Gore Vidal Dies (2/8/2012 2:24:18 AM)

RIP Mr. Vidal!

Gravitas -> RE: Gore Vidal Dies (9/9/2012 12:44:23 PM)

He would seem to be a rather unpleasant fellow. With two of his most famous quotes being:

Every time a friend succeeds, I die a little

It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI