First film you saw on Video (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

snaze1 -> First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 8:28:31 AM)

Here's a nostalgia trip for you.
What was the very first film you saw back in the dark days of video?
Mine was The Exterminator back in the summer of 1981 round my mates on his brand spanking new Betamax toploader!

Timbzy -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 8:33:10 AM)

Can't remember.

vader100 -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 8:57:19 AM)

The Beastmaster in 1984

Scruffybobby -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 11:37:25 AM)

Can't remember, but I can remember the first video recorder we ever had, which was rented from - I believe D.E.R. (whatever that stood for) it was a toploader and had big clunky buttons. The first thing we ever recorded on the one tape we had  was a bit of a cartoon with some dancing mushrooms. That tape did also at some point have a St Trinians film on it so it may have been that

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 12:04:36 PM)

Not got a clue. Possibly it was a rented Raiders of the Lost Ark.

horribleives -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 12:43:38 PM)

Me and my brother were allowed to pick one eack and he chose Star Wars while I plumped for The Incredible Hulk (the feature-length pilot episode was re-packaged as a movie in europe and quite a big hit in the early days of video). As this was 1983 (I think) and pre-classification, the next time we went to the video shop my dad thought it would be perfectly acceptable to rent The Thing because the 6 year old me 'liked the cover'. The next week we rented Alien and a monster was born.
It's safe to say I'm eternally grateful for these particular acts of irresponsible parenting.

MartinBlank76 -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 2:40:30 PM)

Oh I remember this.

Gremlins during World Cup 86. I remember worrying the whole way through it that someone would turn it off cus they wanted to watch the football. Luckily nobody did.

paul_lfc -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 5:53:07 PM)

Cant remember but could of been

Disney Jungle Book
Disney Robin Hood
Star Wars
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Jason & the Argonauts

Hood_Man -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 6:10:38 PM)

Cant remember, but it most likely would have been a DIsney film.

sanchia -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 6:12:51 PM)

I remember a friend's parents getting a top loader and going around and watching Love at First Bite. I can't remember what happened in the film. The first film from when my parent got their own video was Supergirl.

Super Hans -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 7:22:47 PM)

Being born in 1982, I'd have been far too young to remember what the first film I watched on video was. However, I remember being obsessed with Ghostbusters and particularly Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the latter!

Ref -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 7:48:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Same here. Although we did have many Laurel & Hardy videos, so it could easily have been one of them.

Shifty Bench -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 7:57:17 PM)

I have no idea, it was a very long time ago and I would have been about 4, if that [:)]

Lucky Day -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 8:12:56 PM)

First film I remember renting with my mum was Teen Wolf I think.

The video rental shop was actually the upstairs of a paint shop. He had a Betamax section and a VHS section. A video library was a big deal in my home town ack in the day. The guy's paint shop is still there. I don't think he still rents video tapes.

Interestingly (or so I thought) did you know that Sony only ceased production of Betamax machines in 2002?

Also, props to the chap who bought the Betamax to HD DVD machine. You Sir, are one of lifes winners [:D]

[image]http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/betamax-hddvd.jpg[/image]

benmharper -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 8:51:55 PM)

The earliest one I can remember is The Love Bug.

rich -> RE: First film you saw on Video (22/7/2012 8:57:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I think this is a safe bet too, honestly it's lost to memory

snaze1 -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 11:06:56 AM)

Really suprises me how many people cant remember as for me this was a really big thing.
May be down to age though as lots of people seem very young when they got them (Under 5's where i was 10).

The first i saw was The Exterminator as i mentioned above but the first i saw on our own machine was The elephant man which i loved (and still do!).
Might just be me being nostalgic but i do miss the early days of video shops with the lurid posters and pre certificate titles!

snaze1 -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 11:08:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

Interestingly (or so I thought) did you know that Sony only ceased production of Betamax machines in 2002?

Also, props to the chap who bought the Betamax to HD DVD machine. You Sir, are one of lifes winners [:D]

[image]http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/betamax-hddvd.jpg[/image]

This blew my mind when i read it!!!
VHS was on its way out by 2001 never mind Betamax!!!!

MonsterCat -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 11:17:24 AM)

My earliest memory of watching a VHS tape is wearing out a copy of Airplane 2: The Sequel.

It's a film I still have a fondness for to this very day. The TV screen gag with Shatner is genius.

filmburner30 -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 1:28:35 PM)

Billy Connolly bites your bum was my first video

American Werewolf was my first VHS film along with the BLues brothers

oh and a film called King Frat

NCC1701A -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 1:48:56 PM)

[image]http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee494/ant229/DVD%20and%20Blu%20Ray%20Covers/untitled-11.png[/image]

This

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 1:55:12 PM)

Mine was the Mad Max Trilogy and the OT Star Wars films. Despite being born in 1981, we didnt get a VHS player till 1995!!!!

Brundlesflies -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 2:24:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmburner30

oh and a film called King Frat

Spooky, that was the first film I ever saw on video, an Animal House rip-off the only part of which I can remember is a farting contest in which one of the contestants "draws mud", the first time I'd heard that particular phrase [:D] (I was about 10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUE0NeOalQ

1st video I rented was Conan the Barbarian on my folks Philips V2000 ( for those of you who thought Betamax was the wrong choice of hardware!)

snaze1 -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 3:43:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brundlesflies

1st video I rented was Conan the Barbarian on my folks Philips V2000 ( for those of you who thought Betamax was the wrong choice of hardware!)

Oh boy, did you ever back the wrong horse!!!

Spaldron -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 4:31:10 PM)

I honestly couldn't remember but I'm sure it was some Disney film or another, probably recorded off tv. Although I do have a very early memory of watching Empire Strikes Back....

fuzzy -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 8:57:14 PM)

Think we had our first VCR around '83/84 I think. The make was Akai and looked a bit like this:

[image]http://www.oldtechnology.net/images/akaivs9800ek.jpg[/image]
Gotta love the 80s.

We probably rented films every weekend but can't for the life of me remember which was the first. Thinking of it, could've been a neighbour's pirate copy of Jedi. [:D]

Shifty Bench -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 9:21:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

quote:

Wasn't Betmax supposed to be the better player of the two?

Spaldron -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 10:14:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: snaze1

quote:

Wasn't Betmax supposed to be the better player of the two?

Yes, it was much better quality than VHS.

paul_lfc -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 11:10:26 PM)

Our video shop was crap, anything new they would have about 6 copies all rented out with those little plastic tags on[:@]

Hood_Man -> RE: First film you saw on Video (23/7/2012 11:11:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

Think we had our first VCR around '83/84 I think. The make was Akai and looked a bit like this:

[image]http://www.oldtechnology.net/images/akaivs9800ek.jpg[/image]
Gotta love the 80s.

We probably rented films every weekend but can't for the life of me remember which was the first. Thinking of it, could've been a neighbour's pirate copy of Jedi. [:D]

My grandfather's looked a bit like that. When I was a kid I couldn't tell if I was pressing play or launching a NASA rocket [:D]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI