Memorable ad breaks in films. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

matty_b -> Memorable ad breaks in films. (21/7/2012 1:30:19 PM)

I was watching Aliens last night and it struck me, that after the dropship has crashed and they head back to the colony, I'm always expecting an ad break to cut in. Specifically, it's where Hudson starts to freak out and is yelled at before pulling himself back together with the line, "I'm on it."

This goes back to the days where most of my films were taped off the TV, ad breaks included, and Aliens I watched a great many times - and that is definitely where one of the ad breaks was. Even since replacing it on DVD, I still have this deep instinct that it's going to cut away at that scene.

Anyone else have this, or have similar memories of notable ad breaks?

This could be a really fascinating topic.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Memorable ad breaks in films. (21/7/2012 2:04:39 PM)

This isn't quite the same thing but in a similar vein. In Back To The Future my local fleapit inserted an intermission just after the Doc's line about Dave McFly's head being "erased from existence" when looking at Marty's family photo. I saw the film about 4 times there and somehow I always expect the film to stop at that point. This despite the fact that I've seen it god knows how many times since it was first in cinemas.

Whistler -> RE: Memorable ad breaks in films. (21/7/2012 3:21:55 PM)

In Indy, after he walks across the invisible path in Last Crusade and after he swims across the ocean to the sub in Raiders. These two always stick out most when I'm watching the DVD.

Every time I watch Goldeneye I expect it to go to adverts after the base blows up and Natalya almost gets crushed. Similarly in Tomorrow Never Dies, after the bike chase when the helicopter blows up and they jump into the pool. I always remember that one being a really abrupt cut. (I could probably go on for pages with Bond as I used to watch them all the time on tapes and TV. Remember Bond seasons on ITV? They were the best [:)])

Also in The Matrix, just before Trinity answers the phone in the subway.

This brings back memories, I kind of miss watching all my old tapes...

DancingClown -> RE: Memorable ad breaks in films. (21/7/2012 3:53:26 PM)

Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean. For me it's stuff that was recorded during the 80s. Three that immediately spring to mind:

Star Wars - when R2 goes missing and 3PO says "oh he excells at that, sir"; cue ad break. It's been about 25 years since I last saw that tape but I still expect it every time.

Superman 2 - when Supe has fled from Zod and Ursa grabs Lois Lane, saying "let us take his favourite!"

Raiders - when Indy and Marcus are talking to the secret service guys about the ark, when Marcus says "an army which carries the ark before it...is invincible." That copy was from the first time ITV ever showed it back in the mid 80s and the ad-break idents were animated, they were so cool.

Man, I feel old. That Star Wars copy was on one side of a double-sided Philips VHS tape. Turn it upside-down and Superman was on the other side. Probably gathering dust in my dad's loft at present.

Rinc -> RE: Memorable ad breaks in films. (21/7/2012 4:10:19 PM)

I watched Ghostbusters so much as a kid that my VHS copy broke. So I taped it off the TV and watched that a million times so now I always expect ad breaks in certain bits. Still remember a few of the adverts too including a Fanta one set in a spaceship and a butter one where butter men dance around and sing in a west country accent.

snaze1 -> RE: Memorable ad breaks in films. (21/7/2012 7:16:13 PM)

I do remember staying up late to watch and tape John Carpenter's The Thing.
VHS Ferguson Videostar at the ready i planned to pause during the adverts and cut them out.
All was going well until the last ad break (where they find the ship that Blair is building under the shed and blow it up) when i paused the tape and then promptly fell asleep.
I woke up laying on the living room floor, freezing cold in front of the video which was still on pause about 2 hours later.
Bugger!

DancingClown -> RE: Memorable ad breaks in films. (21/7/2012 7:47:34 PM)

Actually I remember another one. We had Airplane on tape and although I can't quite remember where the ad breaks were I do remember that one of the ads was a trailer for Gremlins. I think I've still got that tape around somewhere, kept it as a sort of time-capsule memento.

Ah good old VHS tapes. E180 was the norm but my god I was excited when my dad came home with a stack of E240s for the christmas movies. Two films on one tape!! Provided they were both under 120 mintes of course.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Memorable ad breaks in films. (21/7/2012 8:00:51 PM)

I remember one from the Goonies and it's first showing. It is when the bats start coming out of the fireplace and the Fratellis are fighting them off, Chunk yells 'Hey, Mikey! if you can hear me, run! Run, they're coming after ya!' then ads.

And Gremlins where there is mayhem in the streets and the police car crashes we see Stripe laughing as the explosion lights up his face.....then ads. I'll post more if I remember them.

target -> RE: Memorable ad breaks in films. (22/7/2012 12:33:53 AM)

I'm watching Aliens on film four now. There was an ad break after the drop ship crash. Just after the "they mostly come at night" line.[:D]

snaze1 -> RE: Memorable ad breaks in films. (22/7/2012 8:25:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Ah good old VHS tapes. E180 was the norm but my god I was excited when my dad came home with a stack of E240s for the christmas movies. Two films on one tape!! Provided they were both under 120 mintes of course.

I had Jaws & Jaws 2 on an E240 tape and was absolutely heartbroken when the tape snapped!

boaby -> RE: Memorable ad breaks in films. (22/7/2012 11:53:31 AM)

Return of the Jedi - just after the fat frog thing snaffles a fly in the Tattooine dusk with Jabba's palace in the background. It burps... cue adverts.

paul_lfc -> RE: Memorable ad breaks in films. (23/7/2012 5:55:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

Return of the Jedi - just after the fat frog thing snaffles a fly in the Tattooine dusk with Jabba's palace in the background. It burps... cue adverts.

Was the very next scene Jabbas front door opening for Luke? I remember that AFTER an ad break

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI