Space War Sci Fi books! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms

Fluke Skywalker -> Space War Sci Fi books! (18/7/2012 2:57:31 PM)

Any recommendations for great books about space wars/ battles? There's so many sci fi books out there I don't know where to start

clownfoot -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (18/7/2012 3:02:07 PM)

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman. You'll love the associations it has with Vietnam, Fluke...

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (18/7/2012 3:06:57 PM)

Cheers there Clownfoot! Excellent start - I'll definately pick this one up it looks a classic

sharkboy -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (18/7/2012 4:16:21 PM)

Iain M Banks' Culture novels often feature big scale space ding-dongs.  Check out Consider Phlebas, Excession, Use of Weapons or Surface Detail.  As an added bonus, the ships are all sentient and often the best characters in the books [:D]

clownfoot -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (18/7/2012 4:20:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Iain M Banks' Culture novels often feature big scale space ding-dongs.  Check out Consider Phlebas, Excession, Use of Weapons or Surface Detail.  As an added bonus, the ships are all sentient and often the best characters in the books [:D]

Especially Excession, which is all kinds of brilliance...

simonmckergan1 -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (18/7/2012 5:47:05 PM)

Space wars/battles? The Star Wars X-Wing novels are a fun read. Start with this one:
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/XWRogueSquadron1.jpg[/image]

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (18/7/2012 7:09:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Yeah read all of those apart from Surface Detail - Consider Phlebas is one of my fav sci fi books of all time. Excession also kicks some serious arse

sharkboy -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (18/7/2012 7:25:24 PM)

You've probably read these too, but Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos are pretty much my favourite sci-fi books ever. There's not much in the way of big space fights, but there are plenty of space scenes and battle scenes to keep you amused.

Also, they're possibly a bit "light" but some of the Warhammer 40k novels can be good fun too.

Chief -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (19/7/2012 11:58:29 AM)

The first three Halo novels are quite good. I'm a fan of the source material but even without that these would make a pretty good read, especially the Eric Nylund ones.

Skiba -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (19/7/2012 12:28:55 PM)

quote:

quote:

Is Excession a good place to start with Banks?

clownfoot -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (19/7/2012 12:46:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

quote:

It's a pretty accessible book truth told. As great as Consider Phlebas is, it spends a good half of the book fucking around not getting anywhere (although the fucking around is still pretty superb i.e. the damage game, etc).

Skiba -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (19/7/2012 1:55:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

quote:

It's a pretty accessible book truth told. As great as Consider Phlebas is, it spends a good half of the book fucking around not getting anywhere (although the fucking around is still pretty superb i.e. the damage game, etc).

Excellent, cheers [sm=happy34.gif] Have stuck Forever War on my wishlish too.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (19/7/2012 1:56:11 PM)

quote:

You've probably read these too, but Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos are pretty much my favourite sci-fi books ever. There's not much in the way of big space fights, but there are plenty of space scenes and battle scenes to keep you amused.

Also, they're possibly a bit "light" but some of the Warhammer 40k novels can be good fun too.

Hyperion Cantos is now on my list so cheers for that!

What are these Warhammer books like? The whole space marine aspect looks really interesting but they are just the D+D spin offs aren't they?

As for Iain M Banks stuff I'd actually start off with Consider Phlebas - it's a brilliant book.

sharkboy -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (19/7/2012 4:30:50 PM)

I've read the Horus Heresy series and a few of the other books and they're actually a lot more enjoyable than they deserve to be.  I went into them with the lowest of expectations (love the whole 40k universe but put off by, as you say, the D&D-style element) and was pleasantly surprised by them. 

If you have a kindle, I'm sure there is some way we could arrange for you to sample them...[sm=whistle.gif][;)]

The Hyperion cantos is a masterpiece of modern sci-fi, I'm sure you'll love it [sm=happy34.gif]

MOTH -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (31/7/2012 10:01:21 AM)

Another vote for The Forever War - it's superb.

I read Robert Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, about a lunar colony revolution against Earth - also very good, with a great computer character, Mike

Skiba -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (4/9/2012 10:47:17 PM)

I finished the Forever War the other day...brilliant! The senselessness of it all really does ring with Vietnam.

bobatim -> RE: Space War Sci Fi books! (6/9/2012 11:20:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

What are these Warhammer books like? The whole space marine aspect looks really interesting but they are just the D+D spin offs aren't they?

The Warhammer books are actually surprisingly good. As Sharkboy said, they can be a bit 'light' but if you want something quick and fun to read, with lots of futuristic carnage in them. The original boardgame was a bit of a D+D knock off but the 40K stuff is about as far removed from that as you can get.

The main premise is that in the very far flung future, pretty the whole universe is at war with a central Empire attempting to control it all. Space Marines are human clones bred for fighting and the stories tend to be from their point of view, usually focussing on the experiences of a single unit or the events of a major battle. I recommend if you are going to get into them that you check out the ones written by Dan Abnett. He's a master of this stuff and his stories tend to be a bit meatier/grittier with some great characterisation.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI