Revolution - US Speed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Your Funny Uncle -> Revolution - US Speed (18/7/2012 10:02:33 AM)

Trailer here!

Clicky!

Art Vandelay -> RE: Revolution - Favreau & Abram's New Show! (18/7/2012 2:04:05 PM)

I'm torn on this show. The trailer looks really bad. I'm talking 'Terra Nova' bad. But then apparently some new footage went down great at Comic Con, so I'll give the Pilot a go at least.

Plus Gus 'Motherfuckin' Fring is in it!

Art Vandelay -> RE: Revolution - Favreau & Abram's New Show! (18/7/2012 2:05:32 PM)

I should add that what I mean by 'Terra Nova Bad' is that it seems to have a great concept surrounded by shitty characters. But I hope I'm wrong.

discodave101 -> RE: Revolution - Favreau & Abram's New Show! (18/7/2012 2:33:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art Vandelay

I should add that what I mean by 'Terra Nova Bad' is that it seems to have a great concept surrounded by shitty characters. But I hope I'm wrong.

yeah - I thought your first post that sounded a bit harsh until you added that, and now I agree with you. The big factor of that trailer is the fact that it looks to be aimed at an older audience rather than a family one, so colour me very interested.

Amazing how glamorous people still look when the worlds gone all apocalyptic. The 2 young leads annoyed me immediately.

Sumintelligentguy -> RE: Revolution - Favreau & Abram's New Show! (18/7/2012 5:08:46 PM)

Yeah the show does look bad and the lead girl is annoying.

But then i'm hoping it's the trailer that's making me think this way. I might check out the pilot.

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: Revolution - Favreau & Abram's New Show! (11/8/2012 10:00:18 AM)

Elizabeth Mitchell has now joined the cast for this....

elab49 -> RE: Revolution - Favreau & Abram's New Show! (6/9/2012 10:00:17 AM)

SPOILERS (also for early Jericho)

I'm guessing it was the fight that went down well even though, to me, it looked over-choreographed and pretty fake (too many structured pauses to the next fighter). Show looks like it will be a standard flashback/current half and half formula that Lost has helped ruin TV with.

It wasn't actively bad but they have a lot to explain - some probably to come, eg why there seems to be some kind of ongoing dampening field thing. Although given US shows are often fairly poor with science I'm not anticipating a credible answer (for one they haven't got much of a clue on asthma - if a bit of dust sets him off then half that epi should have). It reads a lot like Jericho at times (I'd say specifically with the women typing at the end which I seem to remember is almost a direct lift of the final scenes of one of the first Jericho epis with Lennie James being the character hidden away doing exactly the same). Katniss, I mean Charlie, isn't strong enough in performance to part-lead the show (wouldn't you have rethought the brown leather outfit after Hunger Games unless it was deliberate?).

Some was just silly - now, it might just be me, but I thought Chicago was a pretty large place. So going to the right place then talking to the right man first time? Even by the time needs of an hourlong show it was ridiculous. And it's only been 15 years - I can understand overgrown, but why is there some kind of forest growing outside Wrigley Field? Speaks to bright visual ideas and someone not thinking through the story in any depth. Generally visuals were unexciting and, as I said above, the fight scene was overdone and poorly directed. Charaters uninspiring (even the great Giancarlo Esposito given some pretty deadening lines).

Score card - must do better to avoid prompt cancellation. If not formally then certainly on my viewing list.

BudBaxter -> RE: Revolution - Favreau & Abram's New Show! (6/9/2012 10:36:28 AM)

Thought it was quite dull myself. Lead girl was quite cute & a there were a couple of nice fx shots, but I was bored for most of it. The twist at the end just felt like a desperate tv exec screaming "Please watch us again! It'll get better, honestly!"

The asthmatic kid annoyed the hell out of me from his first appearance, & frankly if he's been living without proper medicine for 15 years, his body would have found a way to adjust by now or given up completely.

I'd be amazed if the show makes it past season 1.

maffew -> RE: Revolution - Favreau & Abram's New Show! (6/9/2012 11:01:46 AM)

i lost interest in this as soon as it skipped to 15 years laters... the immediate break down of society would be far more interesting. There's a great George Carlin bit about this actually, and when I heard him talking about electricity failing - prison doors would be unlocked, planes would fall out of the sky, there would be no order or anything anymore...I immediately thought it would make a great TV show.. but not this, what a wasted concept..

elab49 -> RE: Revolution - Favreau & Abram's New Show! (6/9/2012 11:56:42 AM)

I'm assuming that's what the flashbacks will, partly, take us through. UNless they focus on how they got to the event rather than, necessarily, the fall-out. The population seems to be missing several 100 millions though!

Captain Black -> RE: Revolution - Kripke's New Show! (6/9/2012 10:29:18 PM)

Wrigley Field shouldn't be affected anyway....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A63XjuA8u3U

I was surprised by how much I liked this. It went along at a fair clip, had a few decent actors, managed to miss out enough problematic stuff that would be inevitably be created by its incredibly goofy premise, and it ended with a solid swashbuckling fight and a decent hook for the next episode.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Revolution - Kripke's New Show! (7/9/2012 12:57:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black
I was surprised by how much I liked this. It went along at a fair clip, had a few decent actors, managed to miss out enough problematic stuff that would be inevitably be created by its incredibly goofy premise, and it ended with a solid swashbuckling fight and a decent hook for the next episode.

This. I really enjoyed it although it does have a few problems. One of which was the number of bloody times someone looked shocked getting an arrow or a knife to the back [:D]

quote:

ORIGINAL: maffew
i lost interest in this as soon as it skipped to 15 years laters...

I know that is what it was going in, having watched the preview. I assume we'll see more of that, we have 15 years of catching up to do between the 'past' and 15 years later. [:)]

musht -> RE: Revolution - Kripke's New Show! (17/9/2012 5:23:32 PM)

I enjoyed this, not fantastic and yes it has plot holes but it's not like it's trying to be the next Wire or GoT. It takes itself serious enough to keep you engaged but not so serious that it can't have a little fun in a world without electricity.

shool -> RE: Revolution - Kripke's New Show! (21/9/2012 12:43:06 PM)

Yup chalk me up for another one that enjoyed it. Will be adding this to my weekly viewing schedule.

jcthefirst -> RE: Revolution - Kripke's New Show! (21/9/2012 12:47:07 PM)

Hang on, it's started? Or are you all downloading?

shool -> RE: Revolution - Kripke's New Show! (21/9/2012 12:47:36 PM)

I'm on US speed.

jcthefirst -> RE: Revolution - Kripke's New Show! (21/9/2012 12:49:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

I'm on US speed.

Gotcha!

(nicely done I might add)

Rob -> RE: Revolution - Kripke's New Show! (25/9/2012 10:09:11 AM)

I downloaded the pilot last night from iTunes and have to say I enjoyed it immensely. Sure it's derivative, high concept nonsense but perfect viewing for a miserable Monday evening. My only concern with all these shows aiming to be the new Lost is that they invariably get cancelled before they have the chance to really find their feet.

musht -> RE: Revolution - Kripke's New Show! (26/9/2012 12:36:41 PM)

What did people think of the newest episode. I can the female lead getting intensely irritating and the forbidden romance with Nate is so predictable but I am still enjoying it.

SPOILERS

I didn't see the twist with the mother still being alive coming at all, and I'm really intrigued by the electric necklaces. I really hope this doesn't cancelled before we get some sort of payoff

Shifty Bench -> RE: Revolution - Kripke's New Show! (26/9/2012 12:39:46 PM)

I saw the twist coming because the actress is in the main cast list. I'm odd that way.

elab49 -> RE: Revolution - Kripke's New Show! (26/9/2012 8:34:49 PM)

It's US speed. [:)]

I agree, although they did at least try to hide it with the flashbacks. Which was particularly pointless this week - seriously? One week in and we'll have a bad emotional moment match up to give a nod to the worst of Lost?

I thought this was dreadful. It was clunky and lazy with them heading to Chicago, that tiny two horse town, and immediately hitting uncle but lo - Danny boy escapes and immediately meets the person we now know Google boy is looking for. It's a really poor attempt to construct and introduce character relationships - very badly and, worse, lazily written. Esposito's spiel is already a cliche - look, some vacuous back story said in a portentious faux friendly tone and then the threat. No variations at all. Want a gun when you're some super-resourceful explosives expert? Did that not strike them as absurdly convoluted for the end result? And did the power outage also make them dumb (and invisble - one week later streets are deserted)? Principles of leverage and wheels people - seriously, helicopter dragging [sm=34.gif]

The earlier parts of the episode felt like they were jumping about to scenes for the hell of it - suddenly there's swordfights, suddenly there's the least inconspicuous follower and, yes, there we go again - bad guy exactly where they're going.

But that flashback - that was nigh on the switch off for me. Either it's progressing a story to actually give you a decent parallel with what happened afterwards or you dredge the dross Lost did season after season with matched scenes and learning the same lesson every season. The girl and the bad guy are both pretty poor performers - again, this doesn't help.

Bad TV is fine in it's way - if it believes in its world and doesn't take the audience for patsys. If it gets the mood right so to speak. And I know it's banal and harmless but this kind of shit is the reason US network TV is going to hell. Lazy, copycatting that doesn't give a toss for the audience.

Captain Black -> RE: Revolution - US Speed (26/9/2012 9:59:39 PM)

I find much of that difficult to disagree with, but again, generally quite liked it. It still moved along at a fair pace and stuff like the characters randomly zapping around from scene to scene haven't really bothered me. I'm chuckling at some of the crap elements.

It's another recent show that feels old-fashioned; in that it has late-'80s, early-'90s tone and construction, only with modern production design, and in this case, a familiar twist tacked on for good measure. Speaking of that, I expected Elizabeth Mitchell to turn up at some point, but was surprised at how early they've let that particular cat out of the bag. Because of that: it doesn't feel like they're holding back in any way, and Kripke has earned my trust for the short term at least.

Like the 'they've not aged in 15 years' thing - plot element or something altogether lazier?

Shifty Bench -> RE: Revolution - US Speed (26/9/2012 10:27:51 PM)

Episode 2 also committed the crime of underusing C Thomas Howell!

elab49 -> RE: Revolution - US Speed (26/9/2012 10:33:31 PM)

SPOILERS FOR TORCHWOOD

Also beginning to get a bit typecast [:D]

shool -> RE: Revolution - US Speed (27/9/2012 9:41:36 AM)

i agree with Cap in as much as that all of Elabs criticisms are absolutely bang on. The writing is extremely lazy.
However, I'm still enjoying it thus far. It does zip along at a fair pace and copying some of Lost's techniques doesnt hurt it for me as that is still one of my favourite TV shows ever.

elab49 -> RE: Revolution - US Speed (27/9/2012 10:13:50 AM)

That post probably sounds a bit angrier than it should [sm=08.gif]

I think the pace is fine but I also think the reason it's fine is the writers aren't bothering to join things up so can jump about rapidly and speed things along. And then you sit and think - huh?!

shool -> RE: Revolution - US Speed (27/9/2012 10:23:04 AM)

Alot like Lost then. [:D]

musht -> RE: Revolution - US Speed (27/9/2012 12:30:00 PM)

I think the pacing is a problem as well, as elab says it jumps from scene to scene and it's hard get an indication of how long it's been between scenes; chances are it took several days to walk to Chicago and find the uncle but they made it look like ten minutes. I also think a map might be handy, we were given no indication of where the settlement was in relation to Chicago, presumably the brother is being taken to Monroe but we don't where he is either, and now the google guy and the English bird have to find the woman with the computer (I'll be very annoyed if they find her as easily as they did Myles).

Captain Black -> RE: Revolution - US Speed (2/10/2012 9:49:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

and now the google guy and the English bird have to find the woman with the computer (I'll be very annoyed if they find her as easily as they did Myles).

I can spot a fraud, she's really an Australian. [:D]

Another episode which is aspiring to the lofty heights of solid. Seems to be finding itself anyway, or at least it's got a certain sure-footedness in terms of its structure even if smaller moments don't quite work. Yet. I did like that last scene with Aaron and Maggie, and Billy Burke's playing the wounded rouge pretty well.

Less believable though: that America has effectively run out of bullet (tons of musket rounds and crossbow bolts though!) or that a dead iPhone still has a small amount of charge left?

elab49 -> RE: Revolution - US Speed (3/10/2012 12:43:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

or that a dead iPhone still has a small amount of charge left?

Like anyone with a phone battery will believe that [:D]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI