Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms

[Poll]

Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One

The Collected Ghost Stories of M.R. James
  22% (2)
A Confederacy of Dunces
  11% (1)
Emma
  11% (1)
The Man Who Was Thursday
  11% (1)
Slaughterhouse Five
  33% (3)
Things Fall Apart
  11% (1)

Total Votes : 9
(last vote on : 24/12/2012 6:26:03 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )

rawlinson -> Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 1:08:29 AM)

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/MRJames.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/AConfed.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/Emma.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/TheManWhoWasThursday.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/Slaughterhouse.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/worldsgreatestsinner/ThingsFallApart.jpg[/image]

rawlinson -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 1:10:56 AM)

Ok, another great selection of books. Some of which I've only read once, some are firm favourites. We'll set three months as the deadline again. So votes in by 15th October, please. With regards to the M.R. James nomination, Rebel Scum intends it to be all the ghost stories. The trouble is that some collections leave out a few of them. But you can read them all online for free if you're stuck. If it helps, I can put up a complete list of James ghost stories so you can make sure you've read everything. [:)]

Rhubarb -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 1:37:33 AM)

I have only read Slaughterhouse Five and Emma before, which is cool.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 1:51:02 AM)

Like last time, not read any of these.

rawlinson -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 4:18:53 AM)

You going to read along, Gim'?

Anyone who doesn't love Rebel's nom is fucking dead to me. [:D]

Rebel scum -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 5:13:24 AM)

This new round got up quickly!

Ghost Stories-Yup, it's awesome.
A Confederacy of Dunces-Never read, heard good things
Emma-Fuck, Jane Austen. Hopefully it'll be like the Joyce last time and it'll be the first of her books I like.
The Man Who Was Thursday-One of my all-time faves
Slaughterhouse Five-Only read parts of it, looking forward to the rest
Things Fall Apart-Never heard of it

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 6:15:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Not a chance! I'm still only 5 pages into and I started it two weeks ago [:D]

rawlinson -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 8:41:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Maybe you'd have more success if you read a book with a title you could remember. [:D]

impqueen -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 9:16:19 AM)

Ghost Stories Its M. R. James, so its brilliant.
A Confederacy of Dunces One of the many many books I read in 2010 and it finished near the middle but its still a fantastic book.
Emma Doh! Im not a big Austen fan except for Northanger and Persuasion.
The Man Who Was Thursday Its awesome.
Slaughterhouse Five I very nearly nominated this.
Things Fall Apart Id swear blind I have read this book but looking through my records theres not a trace.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 9:22:18 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Maybe you'd have more success if you read a book with a title you could remember. [:D]

[sm=happy07.gif][sm=happy07.gif]

Don't know how I did that. It's The Woman In Black.

rawlinson -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 9:33:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

So half the voters think it's brilliant before any books have been read. We may have a frontrunner. [:D]

quote:

Don't know how I did that. It's The Woman In Black.

You should go see the play.

elab49 -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 9:35:12 AM)

I'm thinking it's probably a good idea that I didn't just take the top of my old top 20 book list and enter Persuasion. This instantly gives me a similar problem to the HoF Film version - putting a book in the context of the choices here that possibly wouldn't be in my top 3 Austen in the first place.

Confederacy - I was thinking about a re-read after it came up a couple of weeks ago so hopefully pull out the time.

Chesterton - I've only ever really liked Father Brown, but my attempt to read his other stuff dates back to my teens. Seems right to revisit.

MR James - is, of course, great. I hope no-one ever opts for the SciFi shorts stories of Asimov or the short stories of Stephen King though. We'd be here for months! One of my version is the one in the pic though [:)]

I think I'm in a minority but I actually find the film adaptation of Slaughterhouse quite interesting - odder as I'm not a massive fan of the book, although I by no means dislike it.

Rebel scum -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 9:39:59 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

So half the voters think it's brilliant before any books have been read. We may have a frontrunner. [:D]

I'm glad it's getting such a positive reception, though everyone said I was the frontrunner for the HoF when I put forward Se7en too [:D].

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

MR James - is, of course, great. I hope no-one ever opts for the SciFi shorts stories of Asimov or the short stories of Stephen King though. We'd be here for months!

King was on my shortlist of stuff to nominate, and since his short stories are helpfully split into lots of separate books there shouldn't be that problem.

rawlinson -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 9:45:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

King was on my shortlist of stuff to nominate, and since his short stories are helpfully split into lots of separate books there shouldn't be that problem.

A pic and mix King compilation would be nice, because generally I find his short stories stronger than his novels, but there's still a lot that annoys me even then.

elab49 -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 10:30:36 AM)

My husband votes for The Man Who Was Thursday. He's thinking of rereading the other 5 as well just to vote for it, he loves it so much [:D]

rawlinson -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 10:33:04 AM)

It is a great book. The Geoffrey Palmer reading of it is all kinds of awesome.

impqueen -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 10:39:50 AM)

quote:

My husband votes for The Man Who Was Thursday. He's thinking of rereading the other 5 as well just to vote for it, he loves it so much [:D]

[sm=happy34.gif] This should happen.

elab49 -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 10:42:49 AM)

quote:

[sm=38.gif]

He was in Henry IV this weekend, I think. Not had a chance to watch that yet.

elab49 -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 10:45:56 AM)

Actually that reminds me - if anyone wants a different take there's a dramatisation of Emma on Iplayer at the moment. Eve Best as Emma, Robert Bathurst Knightley, Tom Hollander as Frank Churchil and the lovely David Bamber as Elton. 

rawlinson -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 10:58:10 AM)

quote:

quote:

[sm=38.gif]

He was in Henry IV this weekend, I think. Not had a chance to watch that yet.

What does the monkey mean? I've never got that one.

elab49 -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 11:03:13 AM)

It's the catch-all for when you can't find a smilie to fit what you want to say. And as it's facing down I feel a sardonic edge to it. [:)]

Rinc -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (16/7/2012 7:26:48 PM)

Ghost Stories Never read it.
A Confederacy of Dunces Never read it.
Emma Have read 3 other Austens and whilst they're good, they're all pretty similar. Looking forward to seeing if this is as good as Clueless.
The Man Who Was Thursday Never read it
Slaughterhouse Five Amazing. Obvs
Things Fall Apart very good book. Read it a couple of years ago but will have to re-read it.

Rhubarb -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (17/7/2012 7:51:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Emma Have read 3 other Austens and whilst they're good, they're all pretty similar. Looking forward to seeing if this is as good as Clueless.

There are, tragically less jokes about Mark Walhberg in Emma.

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (28/7/2012 10:30:24 PM)

Ugh. Emma.

The Man Who Was Thursday is wonderful. Great, great, amazing book. I hope it wins.

Things Fall Apart - I liked, despite having to study it in school.

Slaughterhouse 5 - wicked.

Can I read along too?

rawlinson -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (28/7/2012 10:42:46 PM)

Yeah, course you can.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (29/7/2012 1:31:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

There are, tragically less jokes about Mark Walhberg in Emma.

Never reading it now.

Rebenectomy -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (1/8/2012 1:35:25 PM)

Despite being an Austen fan, Emma is one of my least favourite of hers. It's overblown and the character isn't nearly as likeable as the Clueless incarnation.

I'll hopefully read along if i have time.

elab49 -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (2/8/2012 9:11:01 AM)

*psssst*

Anyone wanting MR James type Cliff Notes - or just to enjoy the stories in another medium - Beeb are doing them now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pdxrw/MR_James_Stories_Oh_Whistle_and_Ill_Come_to_You_My_Lad/

Rinc -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (15/8/2012 6:20:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Despite being an Austen fan, Emma is one of my least favourite of hers. It's overblown and the character isn't nearly as likeable as the Clueless incarnation.

Just finished reading it and I agree about Emma not being as likeable as Cher. Cher has plenty of good attributes throughout Clueless while Emma is too obsessed with class, thinks way too much of her matchmaking ability and thinks she knows what everyone is thinking all the time.

Rebel scum -> RE: Literature Hall of Fame Two: Round One (31/8/2012 10:23:47 PM)

Finished my two re-reads, Ghost Stories and The Man Who Was Thursday.

The former is obviously brilliant, but the latter is amazeballs and might wind up above my own nom.

I'm now 100 pages into Emma. I really hope it picks up soon/Mr Bennet makes a surprise appearance, shoots the protagonist and the book becomes about his wacky adventures.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI